The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Antoine Roussel: Did we let him get away?

Boudrias

Watching the Dallas game I could not help but see how well Roussel was playing. I thought Van lost him in the Sammy Pahlsson deal but no. They appeared to let him walk as a UFA. He earned a contract from Van for his play with the Wolves but I am suspicious that he was not resigned because of the numbers game in Chicago. 37 Games: 8 goals + 7 assists. 24 years old LW at 195 pounds. Likes the heavy going and crashes the net. Undrafted and another smart free agent signing by Gillis. Cannot wait until Van is running their own AHL team.

Yea I was thinking that watching him play for Dallas the other day. He would have been a great fourth liner for us.

I remember thinking he reminded me of a young Alex Burrows when I watched him play for the Wolves.

Too bad we let him go. But I think we have some other good young players coming up that can fill the same role.

Correct me if im wrong but Gillis did not sign him as a free agent, he had a tryout contract with the Canucks during the preseason; he only had an AHL contract with the Wolves (I believe we handed out a tryout contract to Longpre as well)

But I agree, he was solid during the preseason and I enjoyed his grit and energy along with his fights against Murray and Desbiens.

I thought he was signed for longer so I was stoked to see a Mallet-Roussel duo in the AHL, but apparently the Wolves didn't resign him.

Oh well, he's gone now, and Mallet looks to be a carbon copy of him; not too big, gritty, heads to the net hard, and will drop the gloves whenever possible (except Mallet is a better fighter)

what is the point of that amateur training camp we held last year, I mean WTF

- Roussel was there- we lost him

-Langiere was there- lost out on him, ANA never held a camp

-McEnery was there I guess but we signed him...

I actually cried a bit when I saw how Roussel played over the last month...I guess Im just sensitive

I think this is an instance of a late bloomer more than asset mismanagement.

He really wasn't doing too well when he was with the Wolves in 2011-12. He scored 9 points in 61 games and was -13. Maybe in retrospect he was let go too early by Chicago? I wouldn't disagree with that. However, he would probably be too small to play on our 4th line esp. with the emphasis on size and toughness following our SCF run (Antoine's 6', 194 lbs-- not big by hockey standards) and he would not have had a role in the Top 9 here, esp. with Daniel, Raymond and Higgins as our top 3 left wingers. Who knows if he would have developed enough here to get one of those spots? It's good to see that he succeeded elsewhere but he would likely have been hit or miss.

We have enough cheap and dirty players. He is gearing up to be one of the worst with the antics he pulls on a nightly basis.

Fighting with a visor, jumping players before they can get there gloves off, cheap hits....no thanks.

Yea I was thinking that watching him play for Dallas the other day. He would have been a great fourth liner for us.

I remember thinking he reminded me of a young Alex Burrows when I watched him play for the Wolves.

Too bad we let him go. But I think we have some other good young players coming up that can fill the same role.

For sure. The depth is gradually building. Dallas must like what they see with his logging 37 games. I guess my under ridding point was Vancouver owning their own AHL team might keep more potential talent like Roussel. Again I am assuming it was a numbers situation and I have no proof of that.

After his fight with Kassian when Zack was taking off his helmet and Roussell wouldn't and just started throwing punches, it made me really dislike him.

So cheap, especially when you wear a visor....

Exactly, no point of fighting if you're gonna keep the visor on.. Should be made mandatory to take off before fighting. I forgot who, but this guy in the AHL broke his hand from a fight cause he hit his hand on the helmet to hard

• 1 year later...

Archived