The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob McKenzie: "I expect the Vancouver Canucks to make a coaching change"

Are the fans going to pay hundreds of dollars to watch a tedious brand of hockey where the Canucks only show up for about 20 minutes?

Where the goaltending must be perfect in order for the team to win, and all a playoff berth gets you is a first round exit in 4 or 5 games?

Because this is what we are pretty much guaranteed if AV stays on as coach. It would be completely insane to keep this guy.

Are the fans going to pay hundreds of dollars to watch a tedious brand of hockey where the Canucks only show up for about 20 minutes?

Where the goaltending must be perfect in order for the team to win, and all a playoff berth gets you is a first round exit in 4 or 5 games?

Because this is what we are pretty much guaranteed if AV stays on as coach. It would be completely insane to keep this guy.

I fully expect Gillis to go out on a limb and shake the organization up by trading Shneider and keeping Luongo only to go out on a limb and make him the first starting goalie/coach/team captain in league history.

Thats how Gillis roles......outside of the box! Bold statements and creative thinking

Not every failure is AV's fault. But some of them most certainly are.

Gillis has 5 top 4 dmen, 2 young players playing well, and a big depth dman who has improved a lot over the past few years. The fact that this team is as brutal defensively as it is can ONLY be attributed to coaching.

People want Canucks to play a different style of hockey yet they name lindy ruff as the replacement for AV.... so basically we are back to the same style of hockey we are used to.

We need a new coach, but let's be clear, we need it because we need a change not because AV has done a terrible job. Whenever a coach can bring you into a stanley cup final he has already done a great job. Not whole lot of coach out there has that on their resume.

That being said, our style of hockey are now too predictable for the opponent, you got the usual Sedin cycle then what do you have beside that? Sure Kesler is a great center but if you have nobody to set him up then all you have to do is take away his space and time then his wrist shot will be a none factor.

We need a coach who can motivate player and can provide us a new system that utilize all the good players we have right now.

so yes AV should get going but thats not until we can find a coach that can replace him

This! This is what has always driven me up the wall about the Canucks. We've got one of the deepest defenses in the league, excellent goaltending, and a supposed defense oriented coach in Vigneaut. So why are we not better defensively? People complain a lot about our supposed scoring woes but we still averaged 2 GPG.Not great but not 0-4 bad either. And it definitely wasn't a lack of scoring that made us blow two late leads vs San Jose.

Also "all Gillis": Hamhuis. And Garrison. And Erhoff. And Tanev. And Malhotra. And Higgins. And Lapierre. If people want to criticize Gillis for his supposedly bad moves that's fine. But you have to acknowlege that he's made a ton of really good moves too. And as for the bad ones...we'll see. If the summer passes and Gillis fails to move Luongo and/or to find a real permanent solution for the 3rd line then maybe I'll start to wonder if we need to consider a change. If he doesn't though, his previous non-moves/stopgap measures will be a lot more forgivable. Hence, for now, I'm definitely willing to give him the benefit of the doubt based on all the good he's done.

Torres is currently suspended. Again. With his rep he will never be a smart long term investment.

Sammy played 4 games this year. If Booth is a "bust" for getting hurt, he's no worse than Sammy.

Salo wasn't "replaced" by Ballard. He was replaced by Garrison. An obvious upgrade by nearly every measure.

It's easy to come in after the fact and say we should have kept Mitchel. At the time though there were too many questions about his health. It was a bad risk and Gillis was right not to take it regardless of how it all turned out.

This! This is what has always driven me up the wall about the Canucks. We've got one of the deepest defenses in the league, excellent goaltending, and a supposed defense oriented coach in Vigneaut. So why are we not better defensively? People complain a lot about our supposed scoring woes but we still averaged 2 GPG.Not great but not 0-4 bad either. And it definitely wasn't a lack of scoring that made us blow two late leads vs San Jose.

Also "all Gillis": Hamhuis. And Garrison. And Erhoff. And Tanev. And Malhotra. And Higgins. And Lapierre. If people want to criticize Gillis for his supposedly bad moves that's fine. But you have to acknowlege that he's made a ton of really good moves too. And as for the bad ones...we'll see. If the summer passes and Gillis fails to move Luongo and/or to find a real permanent solution for the 3rd line then maybe I'll start to wonder if we need to consider a change. If he doesn't though, his previous non-moves/stopgap measures will be a lot more forgivable. Hence, for now, I'm definitely willing to give him the benefit of the doubt based on all the good he's done.

Torres is currently suspended. Again. With his rep he will never be a smart long term investment.

Sammy played 4 games this year. If Booth is a "bust" for getting hurt, he's no worse than Sammy.

Salo wasn't "replaced" by Ballard. He was replaced by Garrison. An obvious upgrade by nearly every measure.

It's easy to come in after the fact and say we should have kept Mitchel. At the time though there were too many questions about his health. It was a bad risk and Gillis was right not to take it regardless of how it all turned out.

3 and 4 years ago everyone was having career years after development with AV; Danny, Hank, Edler, Bieksa, Burrows, Raymond the year before, Kesler, Samuelsson the year before (not developed), Lou, Erhoff...

Who had a career year this year, Hansen?

Would not be sad if we cut bait...

Larry Robinson would be ideal, Barry Trotz gets more with less than any coach in the league and Dave Tippett is as under rated as AV is over rated. I would even go with Lindy Ruff rather than continue with AV. Any of these guys would be an upgrade to "Mr. I can't adjust" it's not part of the process.

Archived