The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

J529, I hope you didn't mean that in general, coaches don't make a team better. When you consider the amount of decisions a coach makes, including line combinations, PP, PK, starting goaltender, motivational banter, etc etc., the coach has a ton influence on the team. I hate to say it but it didnt look like Vigneault was really innovative. When the PP was 0 for 25, he pretty much kept it as it was. Innovating and applying changes to counter situations during the season and providing an invigorating voice is a lot better than a coach that appears lackadaisical.

I think what he meant to say is, the coach can only coach the players he's given. I somewhat agree with his statement, our players aren't good enough to compete. They don't have the right mix, the right skill set to become a true contender. That is on MG to get it done. This team is missing some key components to a be contender, the coach can't fix that problem.

The coach can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap (other expletive)

I think what he meant to say is, the coach can only coach the players he's given. I somewhat agree with his statement, our players aren't good enough to compete. They don't have the right mix, the right skill set to become a true contender. That is on MG to get it done. This team is missing some key components to a be contender, the coach can't fix that problem.

That is what I meant. Should have been more clear about that. Coach can only do so much and work with players he's been provided.

If Ruff is hired that will ruin my entire summer. Tortorella is my #1 choice then Stevens. Those are the only 2 coaches left that can help this team moving forward. Now that Tippett is all but gone, Gillis and company better hire quick before they're gone.

The only justifiable response to a Ruff hiring would be to throw things.

I'm still firmly in the Stevens camp. The Stevens detractors point to his bad season in Philly, but fail to recognize that the results were because he had an absolutely putrid lineup to work with.

I'd be okay with Torts too. I was originally against Torts but after some research I'm coming around to the idea. The super-defensive system he employed in New York was him getting the most out of his roster. I think he'd play a more open game here because he'll have a better and deeper pool of offensive talent to work with (2 20+ goal scorers on the third line in Higgins and Hansen, something he didn't have in New York). Having said that, I can also see a Torts hiring going south very quickly if he resorts to yelling and the players tune him out.

It's kind of interesting that I'm seeing this sort of sentiment a lot more, now that the off-season is upon us.

During the season (and playoffs) the prevailing sentiment seemed to be that the team was good enough to win, but was being stymied by the coaching of AV...

Here's my problem with this though; and the problem comes because I've seen it before. People point finger at someone, that someone gets fired, people jump to point that finger at someone else. I don't know about everybody else or if I'm just some advancement on the evolutionary scale but my fingers all have joints and I can stop pointing. :D

Gillis is the GM and it's his job to create a team. He should have some of the blame. That said this team is better than it's played the last 2 years and that was on AV. Almost every star player has been under achieving and they also deserve some of the blame for this teams "woes:.

My biggest worry is Ruff gets hired but only because I feel we've fired AV and hired a guy just like AV.I'm not afraid of Torts but only because I don't know wtf will happen with him but I know it will be different. If we win the cup next year I don't think it will be because they fired AV it would be because there was something different. Torts I think brings an extreme to that "different" but I don't know if I'd hire him if I was Gillis.

Yay we still need to sign three coaches! torts and stevens for the LA Kings formula of good cop bad cop. with blashill as the other assistant.

MG GET'ER DONE SO WE CAN MOVE ON FROM THIS THREAD!!!!!

Why would Stevens leave LA to come to Vancouver to have the same job?

I don't understand why people seem to think AV and Lindy Ruff are 'the same coach'. The difference in team talent has been massive for those two coaches. One Vanek and one Teppo Numminen did not a Sedin Twins make. "And then', etc. Whereas Buffalo has... Hodgson on the first line. And then that's about it.

Ruff also has tactics, and a visible fire when something is not right. AV has gum. And a slot machine for picking lines.

Torts would be my other pick, but Ruff is my #1, #2 and #3 on this list.

The only justifiable response to a Ruff hiring would be to throw things.

I'm still firmly in the Stevens camp. The Stevens detractors point to his bad season in Philly, but fail to recognize that the results were because he had an absolutely putrid lineup to work with.

I'd be okay with Torts too. I was originally against Torts but after some research I'm coming around to the idea. The super-defensive system he employed in New York was him getting the most out of his roster. I think he'd play a more open game here because he'll have a better and deeper pool of offensive talent to work with (2 20+ goal scorers on the third line in Higgins and Hansen, something he didn't have in New York). Having said that, I can also see a Torts hiring going south very quickly if he resorts to yelling and the players tune him out.

The Steven's detractors always point to this...but its widely known that he had a crippled roster and a management team in flux. Very unlucky and an unfair portrayal.

Torts is like any good coach, if management supplies a compliment of players that fits the coaching philosophy. Great. Holes up and down the line up? Then its all a defensive posture. All in the name of winning.

Im bugged that some folks think Torts teams are clumsily defensive. Its not true. Same ridiculous, and unfair knock against AV.

He can implement different styles if the correct players are there.

I would consider Ruff to be one of the few 'clear upgrade over AV' coaches available. Sure, Sabres fans have soured on him lately, but Regier didn't exactly supply him with a decent lineup this past season.

While AV and Ruff inherited 'meh' lineups when they started on their respective teams, Ruff managed to get his Hasek-Only team into the finals. AV needed a President's Trophy-calibre team to accomplish the same feat.

Ruff is better at getting playoff performances from his entire lineup, while AV tends to discard what potential unsung heroes can do for him. Once Buffalo fired him, my immediate reaction was 'yes please!'

You don't stay on as an NHL head coach on one team for 15 years if you aren't really, really good. He is all class, unlike you-know-who, and is a total professional. Sure, he isn't a cup winner yet, but he's won on Team Canada.

I think that unless he wants to sit, Vancouver represents the best opportunity for him to get back at it. Dallas is in semi-rebuild mode and the other vacancies are filled. (And can you imagine Ruff behind the bench for the team that eliminated him in the finals?!?) imho Torts might be better suited as a commentator for the time being.

I also like Blashill's AHL accomplishments. But if he's insisting on a NHL head coaching job, it might have to be Dallas. I'm fine with either, as Blashill will bring some Detroit perspective and a fresh approach, but Ruff is more likely to be our next coach because of the experience. And he's more expensive. Dallas isn't a rich team.

What do you mean "you dont know what the frack will happen with him"? Shouldn't you just worry that we're going to frackin win? Or did you mean you're worried we're not going to frackin win with him as our coach? Because John Tortorella has won everywhere he's been, including a Cup on his first tour. Lets just see if the Rangers are worse next year compared to last. LOL

*crickets*

Archived