The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks sign UFA D Christian Folin to 2 yr ELC

You seem to believe that it is always an either/or situation. Big guys can have talent as well as smaller players.

My position is that if you have a choice of two guys, and the talent level is the same, and skating ability is the same, and all those "intangibles" are the same, why would you draft the smaller player?

Sure "skill triumphs because wins are counted by goals, not knockouts", but unless the smaller, skilled player (which you seem to value so highly over a larger, skilled player) has a larger guy to make space for him, what kind of success can he expect to have?

Well, I did request that you not take into consideration Lemieux's career, and you chose to ignore that.

The option I gave you is, a choice of drafting a number one prospect like RNH, all 6' 1" and 185 pounds of him and lots of talent, or a number one prospect who is 6' 4" and 235 pounds and lots of talent (the younger Lemieux). You have evaded answering that question.

Let's make this easier. You have a choice of RNH or Gabriel Landeskog. Who would you have taken? I would always take Landeskog. He's a good skater. He has offensive capability, both scoring goals and setting up team mates. He's a good defensive player. He has great leadership skills.

His downside is that he is 15 to 20 pounds heavier than RNH, and unlike RNH, Landeskog plays a very physical game (lots of bodychecks etc but not really a fighter/goon type).

RNH wouldn't be a bad choice. As a matter of fact he'd be a good choice... a good 2nd choice.

regards,

G.

A defenseman of decent size. Has good potential to become a skilled defenseman in the future. Keeps his game fairly simple and uses his body at good opportunities. Has decent offensive qualities, such as his shot, but is at his best in the defensive zone.

Sounds like a Tanev/Corrado type

6'4 too.

If it was only this easy?

When drafting players at 18 you are making projections. The top drafts annually have common traits in that they have skill levels that project as front line players. It is nonsensical to think that a guy 6'4 could have the same traits of Bure or Crosby and this why teams draft Best Player Avail. as opposed to size. All things are never considered equal, only comparable.

Archived