The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

Good to know, haven't really watched too many highlights of him. It almost seems like he's lost a bit of his speed compared to those highlights, but that makes sense with his hip injury and surgery and stuff.

I guess we can't really judge him till next season.

If he has not recovered his full speed that is a bad sign. It is possible that the hip surgery will have long run effects -- too small to see in normal life, but a split second in the NHL makes a difference.

Also, my understanding is that Shinkaruk put on a lot of weight last summer. Even if it is mostly muscle that sometimes slows players down.

Anyway, it seems to me that Shinkaruk has dropped down the depth chart among Canuck prospects. Obviously he is behind Horvat (who is not really a prospect any more), Virtanen and McCann, but I have him behind Kennins, Gaunce, Cassels and Jensen as well (although Jensen has also dropped).

Good to know, haven't really watched too many highlights of him. It almost seems like he's lost a bit of his speed compared to those hightlights, but that makes sense with his hip injury and surgery and stuff.

I guess we can't really judge him till next season.

I don't really know about having lost any speed. He never had elite speed but has excellent quickness. He certainly still has that quickness and he still has in the very least the overall speed he had before. I'd probably have to watch more of him to see if he's really lost anything, but I don't think there's anything appreciable.

If Hunter is ready to handle the physical side of the NHL then that is where he should be. I have never been a fan of letting highly skilled players mire in the AHL. AHL really should only be used as an option for a player to mature physically rather than mature skill wise.

The best preparation for any young player is to compete at the highest level possible. I think the only thing holding a player like Shink back at this point, is his physical strength. Can he handle the rigours of NHL life and the physical toll it takes. If he can he should be here. He was a first round pick, let him prove his worth at the NHL.

The Sedins took almost three full years to get up to NHL strength. They had the skill and desire, they just needed to develop physically. The key for the twins was they were given ample support and oportunity at the NHL level to succeed. And they did.

If Hunter is ready to handle the physical side of the NHL then that is where he should be. I have never been a fan of letting highly skilled players mire in the AHL. AHL really should only be used as an option for a player to mature physically rather than mature skill wise.

The best preparation for any young player is to compete at the highest level possible.

I agree

Screw Detroit and their proven model for success through the AHL because you know more than they do, TDM

Like Benning said. Hunter's game is about going to the net. He's been largely described as a very North-South player leading up to the draft. He fell out of top 10 status due to having a game that may be tough to translate to NHL success.

this is wrong he fell out because he is a project pick, the gms new that and for a 1st rounder that might not be to favourable for a gm right? the gms knew to properly develop shink you have to let him bake in the AHL he should stay for another 3 season imho, a full season on the top line

hunter bustkaruk.

In all seriousness though, he just doesn't have any one trait that will allow him to overcome his size. He doesn't have the greatest hockey iq like horvat does, doesn't have elite speed for someone his size, and his hands are more overrated than not when it comes to game time. Doing it in practice doesn't count.

I hope one of these days the Canucks will actually draft a small kid that pans out like a Johnny hockey in Calgary. That guy just has a good head for the game

hunter bustkaruk.

In all seriousness though, he just doesn't have any one trait that will allow him to overcome his size. He doesn't have the greatest hockey iq like horvat does, doesn't have elite speed for someone his size, and his hands are more overrated than not when it comes to game time. Doing it in practice doesn't count.

I hope one of these days the Canucks will actually draft a small kid that pans out like a Johnny hockey in Calgary. That guy just has a good head for the game

Why do u hate canucks prospects?

He was a risky pick that we could've afforded since we had 2 first rounders. It makes sense rather than going with another "safe" pick on a guy with a lower offensive ceiling but more NHL size and 2 way ability, we already had Horvat and Gaunce. I'm not counting him out yet but our fans are always asking for these flashy players so there you go. Stop complaining and give him another year or two to show he can do something.

hunter bustkaruk.

So him missing a season with an injury doesn't count? Shink has what they call "big time talent. Put him in a Canucks line and you will see a different player.

hunter bustkaruk.

Isn't he 5-11 180lbs at 20 years old? That isn't really that small in my books.

Archived