The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

per news1130

Green on Hunter Shinkaruk : "He's been one of our better players in the last 4-6 weeks, his game is really progressing."

good to see his coach liking his game even though the offensive numbers havent been piling up as much as we would like.

per news1130

Green on Hunter Shinkaruk : "He's been one of our better players in the last 4-6 weeks, his game is really progressing."

good to see his coach liking his game even though the offensive numbers havent been piling up as much as we would like.

Needs more production or he's going to never make it as an NHL regular.

As I see it, he's an offence first player who in the first four months of his pro career is focussed on improving his all around game, at the expense of his offence this season. So of course his point totals might not be what some would expect.

Now that we have our own AHL team, the coaching is much more geared towards getting these kids ready to play with the big club asap, so I think we're going to see our prospects ready to play much more quickly. To hear Green say that about Shink is extremely encouraging and makes me believe he could be ready sooner rather than later.

According to the countless prospects that bust based on being unable to adapt and dominate the AHL offensively.

Dark Knights trolling. I'll take the coach's opinion over yours thanks. You cant just throw s*** on the wall and see what sticks. Have some basis for your "argument"

Dark Knight IS trolling.

It's his first year in the AHL - adapting from Junior play is undoubtedly difficult. Seems like he's trying to focus on a two-way game, as other posters have pointed out.

The fact that a coach has commented on it is a good sign.

Dark Knight is absolutely right. Him not automatically jumping to every excuse in the book doesn't make him a troll.

It's been proven multiple times that the overwhelming majority of future impact players blow through the AHL like it's nothing. I can think of one, maybe two players off the top of my head who spent a couple years in the AHL and turned into top-6 forwards. Shinkaruk missing a development year does give him a bit of leeway, but there's nothing wrong with being concerned about his future right now.

Dark Knight is absolutely right. Him not automatically jumping to every excuse in the book doesn't make him a troll.

It's been proven multiple times that the overwhelming majority of future impact players blow through the AHL like it's nothing. I can think of one, maybe two players off the top of my head who spent a couple years in the AHL and turned into top-6 forwards. Shinkaruk missing a development year does give him a bit of leeway, but there's nothing wrong with being concerned about his future right now.

Yup exactly, however people will still just call me a troll.

It's a valid point, however I think he should be given another season before anyone starts to despair. He lost a lot of development time yes, but on top of that he needs to work on coming back from that injury.

.... that's bad news for that Horvat guy. he's never going to be an NHL player. I don't think he even got a point in the AHL for his few games.

Also ignore the vast majority of Detroit's players. They didn't spend any time in the AHL before becoming NHL regulars

Really?

I can think of dozens.

Sharp, Moulson, Parenteau, Briere, Versteeg, Grabner, Burrows, Camallieri, Hudler, Nyquist, Tatar, Perrault, Kunitz, Vermette, Ryder, Glencross, Sullivan, Boyes….

And that's just in the recent few years as I didn't mention how much more common it was 20 years ago before the salary cap or taking into account European leagues. I'm not saying there isn't any validity to the urgency required to establish yourself as a pro, because there is, but it's far from being a dead end to a career.

Not to mention the laundry list of players that would have been better served to spend an extra year in they AHL rather than be rushed to the NHL before they were ready because of their draft position.

Dude, if he nabs in 25-27 points in the AHL and next year he gets around 35 points, than that is fine because some players adapt better to the NHL. In the AHL, its best to look at the chances he creates, if the player can be consistent and create chances, cycle the puck, and drive to the net, then, thats a great sign. When I watched Shink, I noticed he lacked cycle play in his game, he was bad around the boards in the pre-season, lost the puck easily, and looked weak on his feet during his cycle. So has he improved this part of the game? If has, then that's a huge positive moving forward.

Also, don't forget the AHL playoffs. It will be interesting to see how each of our prospects play in the playoffs, as the intensity will be ramped up.

Kesler put up a 25 point pace first year in the NHL.

Shinkaruk ... on pace for a 25 point AHL season pace.

Archived