The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

46 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I don't think it's a do or die year for a 22 year old, but I agree with what you're saying that he needs to work on.

I say do or die for him because the Canucks will have a healthy influx of centres coming in next summer, most likely Elias Pettersson, Adam Gaudette, Brett McKenzie.  Not to mention the Canucks have Griffin Molino, Zack MacEwen, things could easily get filled up in Utica down the middle (barring if any make the big squad in Vancity).  Cole could find himself either way down the depth chart, or because the Canucks may want to pursue other free agents/prospects, they may walk away from Cole.

He may be 22, but its business whether results matter, and for Cole if the results don't come on the scoreboard, it has to be shown else where.  Particularly if he wants to have another contract.

51 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I don't think it's a do or die year for a 22 year old, but I agree with what you're saying that he needs to work on.

Here's the way I see it: Grenier received a contract from Florida. So his "do or die" season last year turned out not to be the case. However, he had 45 points in 69 games for the Comets last year. Valk, who also got a contract with Florida, hadd 46 points in 75 games.

Compare those numbers with Cassels, who had a whopping 11 points in 66 games. It makes it kind of hard to picture him in the same light as the other 2. So, I guess it's still going to depend on your definition of "do or die".... but the clock's kind of ticking if he doesn't do anything. We didn't exactly sign Grenier and Valk despite their numbers afterall.

On 2017-07-23 at 4:54 AM, alfstonker said:

I hope this is Casells year. He has had to get his head down and do it the hard way while keeping his mouth shut and I just hope it pays off for him and he gets his big chance. I see him hopefully as a Higgins/Malhotra type player who can be effective in a big way without putting up big numbers.

I really hope this is Cassel's year too. He is my kind of player. Gritty, feisty, and competitive. As time goes along however, and more and more of Gillis's picks bust, my outlook for his remaining picks become less and less.

13 hours ago, Alexandre said:

I really hope this is Cassel's year too. He is my kind of player. Gritty, feisty, and competitive. As time goes along however, and more and more of Gillis's picks bust, my outlook for his remaining picks become less and less.

Well, clearly what he was doing last year didn't work. Perhaps under the new coach, something will change. Who knows. As it stands now though, I'd say he's waaaaaaaaaaaay down in the depth chart and he has a giant sinkhole to climb out of unfortunately.

As far as Gillis goes, to be fair, his last 2 years turned out not bad. However, I'm inclined to say there is still evidently a difference in drafting between Gillis and Benning already.

15 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Too late. Unfortunately I think the jig is up for this fellow. Too bad .Amazing how this guy just turned to dust.

"No player ever turned their life around after age 22" said no one named Alex Burrows or lots of other salient examples.   

On 7/26/2017 at 5:34 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

"No player ever turned their life around after age 22" said no one named Alex Burrows or lots of other salient examples.   

Cassels is no Burrows, you've taken things out of context. Plus Cassels has had the benefit of being in the AHL his entire professional career. I get where you're coming from. I'd love to see Cassels flourish and reach his potential but the reality of Coles present situation are the new assets garnered by the Canucks since they drafted him.

This is a business where at some point the investor stops investing because their return isn't enough. With new players and plans for them the Canucks investment in Cole will be less and less. It's the way it is. 

When interviewed on Cole's development Travis Green states it's all up to Cole now.   We've heard that a lot from coaches over the years. The player has to claw their way back into the teams plans. As of now I see Cole at that spot with a whole lot of competition.

Oh, Alex Burrows could really skate, Cole Cassels, not so much.

I really do hope this kid makes it.  

1 hour ago, aqua59 said:

Cassels is no Burrows, you've taken things out of context. Plus Cassels has had the benefit of being in the AHL his entire professional career. I get where you're coming from. I'd love to see Cassels flourish and reach his potential but the reality of Coles present situation are the new assets garnered by the Canucks since they drafted him.

This is a business where at some point the investor stops investing because their return isn't enough. With new players and plans for them the Canucks investment in Cole will be less and less. It's the way it is. 

When interviewed on Cole's development Travis Green states it's all up to Cole now.   We've heard that a lot from coaches over the years. The player has to claw their way back into the teams plans. As of now I see Cole at that spot with a whole lot of competition.

I hope he does too but my point was, and remains, 22 is too early to write someone off as increasingly there are first year NHL players at 24-26 who go on to have more than decent careers.   The path can be winding for some of these prospects.   Cassels certainly has a make it or not  year or two in front of him but agree odds are not in his favour unless he really ups the game a bit.   I just like they haven't given up on him - giving players at least five years post draft eligible age makes more sense than simply cutting them off if they are not instant NHL players.

2 hours ago, aqua59 said:

Cassels is going into his 3rd pro season.

On 2017-08-06 at 0:11 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

I hope he does too but my point was, and remains, 22 is too early to write someone off as increasingly there are first year NHL players at 24-26 who go on to have more than decent careers.   The path can be winding for some of these prospects.   Cassels certainly has a make it or not  year or two in front of him but agree odds are not in his favour unless he really ups the game a bit.   I just like they haven't given up on him - giving players at least five years post draft eligible age makes more sense than simply cutting them off if they are not instant NHL players.

The players making it in the 24 -26 year bracket is very small. 24 is getting old let alone 26. Collage players maybe. I too hope Cole makes it. He's got a mean streak that the Canucks really miss. 

4 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

The players making it in the 24 -26 year bracket is very small. 24 is getting old let alone 26. Collage players maybe. I too hope Cole makes it. He's got a mean streak that the Canucks really miss. 

Over entire NHL history, average age of a rookie playing first NHL game is about 22.7 years old and that isn't much different over past ten years.   There is a standard deviation on the average of about 2.5 years so it is not "uncommon" for a 25 year old rookie but more than 2/3 of all rookies start younger than that.

Average age of NHL Rookies

22 hours ago, aqua59 said:

It's do or die. He has t been turning heads. 

If he has a roster spot this year he better be ready to use it,

Definitely, do or die, I hate seeing kids with promise not at least make the show for a season or two

I hope his dad kicked his a$$ around the rink all summer

22 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Over entire NHL history, average age of a rookie playing first NHL game is about 22.7 years old and that isn't much different over past ten years.   There is a standard deviation on the average of about 2.5 years so it is not "uncommon" for a 25 year old rookie but more than 2/3 of all rookies start younger than that.

Average age of NHL Rookies

The problem is not his age, it's that he's shown nothing that would indicate he's an NHL prospect since leaving Junior...

....THAT is a concern, at ANY age, some of us had VERY high hopes for this kid, the thought that he might wash out, which is a very real possibility, is sad. I hate to see kids "almost" make it,

35 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

The problem is not his age, it's that he's shown nothing that would indicate he's an NHL prospect since leaving Junior...

....THAT is a concern, at ANY age, some of us had VERY high hopes for this kid, the thought that he might wash out, which is a very real possibility, is sad. I hate to see kids "almost" make it,

Fully agree, if you don't start to show progress year by year the likelihood of NHL is certainly less and less.   Just remember for every kid that "makes it", at least 150 who get drafted each you don't and even more that play in general in leagues all over the world who are "almost" good enough is a massive number per each player who gets into NHL.   That is why getting there is so magical - at any age.  

41 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

Wow, I'm actually agreeing with you for once. lol

It's too bad he hasn't really shown much ability since junior, but I'd even say he hasn't even almost made it (although I'm assuming that's what you mean with the quotation marks). Perhaps it was lack of effort, or maybe a lack of ability, or even having the ability and just focusing on the wrong things... I guess it's all just speculation at this point.

We can hope he turns things around this year, but that's one big mountain to climb...

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:49 AM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Cole needs Bo's skating coach...if his skating doesn't improve there is no way forward for him.....

Everyone boasts about Bo's skating coach, but perhaps it's Horvat's determination and dedication that has allowed him to achieve his improvements and success?

That one offseason where he had surgery really seemed to set him back. It seems like he's been trying to play catch up ever since, and a lack of confidence may be hurting things.

It sucks to see a prospect fall so far down the depth chart. At one point he was one of our top center prospects and looked poised to be a third line center.

Still hope that he can turn it around, but he really needs to find his game this season. Being 23 and struggling to put up numbers in the AHL would pretty much put an end to his NHL chances.

Archived