The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Ballard put on waivers

OK so here are the numbers for Ballard:

$4.2m /yr with 2 year remaining.

Buyout would cost Canucks $5.6m spread over 4 years or $1.4m/year.

Question: Why won't MG eat some of his salary in a trade, say $1.5m for 2 years (the duration of his contract ... is still only $3m in total)? I'm sure someone would want Ballard at $2.7 mill / yr? In the end, it is still less than $5.6m that Aqua has to dole out.

OK so here are the numbers for Ballard:

$4.2m /yr with 2 year remaining.

Buyout would cost Canucks $5.6m spread over 4 years or $1.4m/year.

Question: Why won't MG eat some of his salary in a trade, say $1.5m for 2 years (the duration of his contract ... is still only $3m in total)? I'm sure someone would want Ballard at $2.7 mill / yr? In the end, it is still less than $5.6m that Aqua has to dole out.

Shuda been traded 2011 deadline...

Then again when his value was even higher in 2012 deadline

And then AGAIN in 2013 deadline before his value dropped after the playoff choke job.

I would have pulled the trigger in 11 or 12. Depending on our cap constraints

Shuda been traded 2011 deadline...

Then again when his value was even higher in 2012 deadline

And then AGAIN in 2013 deadline before his value dropped after the playoff choke job.

I would have pulled the trigger in 11 or 12. Depending on our cap constraints

so why exactly didnt gillis just put him directly on unconditional waivers the first time????

why waste a day when you're gonna end up doing the same thing????

The last thing team management could have done for keith ballard was to quickly buy him out and set him free

so why exactly didnt gillis just put him directly on unconditional waivers the first time????

why waste a day when you're gonna end up doing the same thing????

The last thing team management could have done for keith ballard was to quickly buy him out and set him free

For the LAST DAMN TIME.

There are TEAMS that need to reach the CAP FLOOR. They might WANT BALLARD, and ALSO ARE WILLING TO TAKE THE CAP SO THEY CAN REACH THE FLOOR. In addition, you're also guaranteed the player if you want him, whereas if he gets bought out, it's free season.

Interesting that Ballard's cleared conventional waivers but still not been put on unconditional waivers. Must mean there's still some negotiations going on over Edler after all. But of course Gillis still has to burn his bridges by referring to some "issues" with Ballard even as he's pursuing possibilities that might keep Ballard here. But what would I know, since I've been wrong a few times, unlike Gillis.

He may be an option but I wonder how long he'll hold out for a team to give him a crack in the top-4 (and be paid like a top-4, even if he's coming off of a buy-out).

Whatever it is, I hope he finds a better fit than he had during his time here.

He may be an option but I wonder how long he'll hold out for a team to give him a crack in the top-4 (and be paid like a top-4, even if he's coming off of a buy-out).

Whatever it is, I hope he finds a better fit than he had during his time here.

Archived