The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Qualify Tanev, Weise, Schroeder, Sweatt, Lain, Sauve, Archibald, and Rodin. Pass on Joslin, Rai, and Schneider.

Tyler Sandhu and Arvin Atwal are leading the way. It's good for the game though...minorities are gaining interest in NA sports and every year we see players drafted from places where hockey isn't popular (best example would be Kopitar, Slovenia).

Yo buddy Prabh Rai was mi cuzins friends bros cuzin Jagpal's best buddy yo he was gunna be hectic. the nucks will regret lettin him go yo he's gunna light it up for sum hectic nhl team yo. Scott Rd Surrey reppin bro you dont even kno

Yo buddy Prabh Rai was mi cuzins friends bros cuzin Jagpal's best buddy yo he was gunna be hectic. the nucks will regret lettin him go yo he's gunna light it up for sum hectic nhl team yo. Scott Rd Surrey reppin bro you dont even kno

We're a little thin in AHL quality wingers so I don't mind the Canucks keeping Sweatt. He seems a little better suited to go hard to the net than Raymond with his speed so he's an option in the bottom 6 if injuries crop up. His scoring touch has left a lot to be desired but he has shown a little bit at the AHL level.

Other than Sweatt the Canucks have Blomstrand (LW), Jensen (RW), Grenier (RW) and Archibald (LW/RW) who played in the AHL last year. From what I remember, Mallet can also play RW (although he was used as a center). Steven Anthony spent the year in the ECHL I believe and thoroughly underwhelmed. Kellan Tochkin was in a league below the ECHL and played well but the likelihood of him moving up seems low. Rodin is back in Sweden - qualifying him allows us to retain his rights for another year but I'm not sure if he'll be coming back. Alex Friesen played in the AHL last year and although he's classified as a center I imagine that he can slot on the wing if need be. He seems to have found some use in the AHL but I'm not sure how much he'll stick.

Unless the Canucks go out and sign a few wingers, keeping Sweatt around provides a bit of depth until guys like Gaunce, Horvat and Shinkaruk can go pro (all of them centers who can play LW). Myron and Beattie are both long term projects and I would be surprised to see either of them go pro any time soon. Labate still has another 2 years of college to go unless he decides to go pro early.

Archived