The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis' Intelligent & Quiet FA Day Makes Him a Winner

TheRussianRocket.

this ufa period makes the lock out look like an even bigger joke. owners over paying at the first chance they get.

im sure they will all be crying poor by next summer.7 year contracts for 30 year old players clearly nobody learned from past mistakes.

umm...

Gillis stood pat because he has no money to make moves

he has no money to make moves because he has traded for bad contracts.

While I don't disagree that the contracts that were handed out were stupid.....

I do find it interesting how handcuffing yourself into a corner can be spun as smart

I think people are blinded by the contracts here. Almost everyone got overpaid yesterday. This raggity-ass FA pool should have garnered less than the 200+ mil signings we saw Jul 1 2012. I would say a good 150mil was wasted in player signings this year and burning money on assets with over-inflated values doesn't suddenly add to their points totals. Expect this year to go down as one where many of the contracts haunt these teams.

They added over 14 million in cap for 2 third liners and an aging offensive defencemen (Seguin for Eriksson is basically a wash). Spending money for the sake of spending money isn't what I would call an improvement, they might help mentor their younger players down the road, but it certainly isn't going to impact them much this season.

Ummm.... I didn't see the Rangers struggling to sign UFA with Torts?

The Coho saga and the goalie fiasco.... it's the media turning all this into a fiasco, they have nothing else to write about and lets face it, this organization isn't considering one of the 'darlings' of the NHL. I just don't believe all the crap I read out there... I'll read the BS coming out of Ontario, but I'll make my own judgements and think for myself.

I used to love Coho, but since I've heard of his complaining and off ice antics (and family)...I couldn't care less! We need players like Kass and if given the opportunity, he will prove more valuable than Coho. Now he wants to be traded from Buffalo... him and his family complaining about his 4th line minutes! He would've asked for a ridiculous amount here and we would have lost him for nothing, but MG got Kass for him. And Buffalo will lose their 1st round pick....for nothing. Good riddance!

Goalies - how is MG to know that Bettman was gonna instigate the 'Luongo rule'??? Yes, MG got cornered and didn't have much wriggle room, but he turned grape juice into wine by trading Schneids and picking up Horvat and Shinkaruk.

His first 4 years he gave away our prospects... remember where we finished prior to MG coming here? From the depths of hell he got us to game 7 of the SCF! (maybe a little too dramatic hehe) I think he gave traded those prospects and picks to make this team into a SC contender.... How would you suggest we make that turnaround?

Now that this team has the core in place, we can attract RFA and most other non-roster issues have been dealt with....he can focus on the future. I like the picks he's made recently and this year has been his best yet! Did I mention that the Canucks own the Comets? Further helping with the development of our prospects....

Ummm.... I didn't see the Rangers struggling to sign UFA with Torts?

The Coho saga and the goalie fiasco.... it's the media turning all this into a fiasco, they have nothing else to write about and lets face it, this organization isn't considering one of the 'darlings' of the NHL. I just don't believe all the crap I read out there... I'll read the BS coming out of Ontario, but I'll make my own judgements and think for myself.

I used to love Coho, but since I've heard of his complaining and off ice antics (and family)...I couldn't care less! We need players like Kass and if given the opportunity, he will prove more valuable than Coho. Now he wants to be traded from Buffalo... him and his family complaining about his 4th line minutes! He would've asked for a ridiculous amount here and we would have lost him for nothing, but MG got Kass for him. And Buffalo will lose their 1st round pick....for nothing. Good riddance!

Goalies - how is MG to know that Bettman was gonna instigate the 'Luongo rule'??? Yes, MG got cornered and didn't have much wriggle room, but he turned grape juice into wine by trading Schneids and picking up Horvat and Shinkaruk.

His first 4 years he gave away our prospects... remember where we finished prior to MG coming here? From the depths of hell he got us to game 7 of the SCF! (maybe a little too dramatic hehe) I think he gave traded those prospects and picks to make this team into a SC contender.... How would you suggest we make that turnaround?

Now that this team has the core in place, we can attract RFA and most other non-roster issues have been dealt with....he can focus on the future. I like the picks he's made recently and this year has been his best yet! Did I mention that the Canucks own the Comets? Further helping with the development of our prospects....

Disagree, compared to last years Dallas Stars? The one that missed the playoffs?

They had Jagr, Ryder, Roy and Morrow and replaced them with Horcoff, Cole, Peverley, and Gonchar. This isn't an improvement over last years roster.

FTR; we should not be sending anyone down to kiss Lou's toosh.

He signed a contract! If he refuses to report; his $5.3 is plenty of space to improve the team in other ways. But more likely; a dose of humility (Lou is as much a part of the problem as MG and how this was handled as anybody) would go a lot farther than coddling poor Lou!

Really only a few players were worth goint after as ufas and they ended up getting way more than they should have. Gordon @ 3, Nystrom @ 2.5 even iggy at a bonus laden 6 are all a bit much to pay for 3rd / 4th liners.

Raymond absolutely would not fit here. Salary wise he has to be top 6 but he is too inconsistent and doesn't fit at all in the bottom 6. Atleast with Horvat he could pan out to be a solid 3rd line centre the team has lacked for awhile and maybe ready to move up the chart once the sedins retire or hang em up.

Well I guess if any "well known player" gets a contract, they'll look at the other players and get similar contracts. Jaromir Jagr will probably want 5-6 mil a year because of players like Alfie and Iginla. Veteran players who are overpaid. It might be okay that we have not a lot of cap remaining, so we don't go crazy with the signing.

Archived