The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was or Is AV a GM killer?

darkpuncher

I want to start out by saying that I have no intention of starting a AV or Mike Gillis bashing thread for I think that has been done to death. But rather a discussion on whether a lot of these problems that Mike Gillis and Canuck management have been dealing with lately are attributed to AV's coaching style.

For example the handling of Hodgson/Kassian, Ballard, Luongo and calling out Kesler publicly are just a few examples of perhaps the head coach damaging a teams chemistry. Now the GM is forced to deal with the blowback because of the way things were handled. While I believe both should have been dismissed since it was the GM who decided to keep the coach too long I was wondering if anyone else believes the same theory.

People need to understand that an NHL coach has a specific job: To win games.

It's not up to the coach to "develop" players, or to "protect their confidence", etc. The coach's job is to put what he thinks is the best lineup on the ice on a nightly basis. People may agree or disagree with his choice of those players, but the decision he makes is based on doing his own job, not the GM's.

If players are so mentally fragile that their confidence is ruined because of a benching or being called out, they probably aren't players you want in your lineup anyway.

It's not up to the coach to "develop" players, or to "protect their confidence", etc. The coach's job is to put what he thinks is the best lineup on the ice on a nightly basis. People may agree or disagree with his choice of those players, but the decision he makes is based on doing his own job, not the GM's.

If players are so mentally fragile that their confidence is ruined because of a benching or being called out, they probably aren't players you want in your lineup anyway.

Well in Montreal he came in during one of the darkest times in Hab history, just after the Roy trade, and oversaw guys like Recchi and Damphousse decline rapidly and get traded. Not sure if the players hated him or anything, but they performed way better after being dealt. (But y'know what? imho Bettman taking over as comissioner has a lot to do with it. Take away from the north to feed the south?) AV stayed on for a bit after that Habs GM who killed his team was fired.

Obviously AV's time here was great though. And i think he'll do fine in NY.

Is he a GM killer? Doubt that. He's won a lot of games for us, not so many in Mtl. Overall fine.

I looked it up once and I think I remember Joel Quenneville was the only other coach to last through a GM change. (I could be wrong, it could be just in recent history). It's pretty rare.

Anyways now Quenneville has the most Cups of any active coach. 9 coaches have 1.Babcock. Bylsma, Carlyle. Hartley, Hitchcock, Julien, Laviolette, Sutter and Tortorella.

I want to start out by saying that I have no intention of starting a AV or Mike Gillis bashing thread for I think that has been done to death. But rather a discussion on whether a lot of these problems that Mike Gillis and Canuck management have been dealing with lately are attributed to AV's coaching style.

For example the handling of Hodgson/Kassian, Ballard, Luongo and calling out Kesler publicly are just a few examples of perhaps the head coach damaging a teams chemistry. Now the GM is forced to deal with the blowback because of the way things were handled. While I believe both should have been dismissed since it was the GM who decided to keep the coach too long I was wondering if anyone else believes the same theory.

Actually it is the coaches job to do all those things especially develop players and deal with their egos and teach them to be better pros, thats what real good coaches do and AV wasn't it. Winning games is just a byproduct of this so if players get tuned out because you bench them without explaining why and you let your favorites like Burrows and Hansen do whatever they want then that does not bode well for team chemistry.

Archived