The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Dallas signs Valeri Nichushkin to ELC

Nikita Filatov comes to mind for me. Drafted 6 overall by CBJ, then traded to Ottawa before fleeing to the K. It's a risk indeed.

Or Evgeny Kuznetsov. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he flee too?

Semin, Kovalchuk, and Ovechkin have all threatened to leave for the KHL in very recent years. Those are big named players as well. Hell, even Markov said he would rather play in the KHL before signing with 29 teams in the NHL. It was either MTL or KHL for him. Radulov is an obvious one. Sergei Kostitsyn and Andrei Kostitsyn both fled to the KHL. Nabakov fled to the KHL.

Not every russian is as classy as Datsyuk or Bobrovsky

Said all along if we wanted to draft a Russkie, we'd need a mentor for him too. Dallas' recent suckage affords them the luxury of taking on ultra-expensive Gonchar, pre-draft, for that very purpose.

Obviously, Dallas feels he's the real deal. imho If he was 'the next Malkin', he would not have fallen to 10th, deep draft or not.

Antropov, another big Russian with work ethic questions, was also taken 10th overall.

TSN and sportsnet said Nischuskin doesn't really play the game, but bullies it, and the other team....he doesn't see the ice or his team mates well, he just powers his 6'3 200lbs frame to the net.

That might work in Europe, and in Juniors, but try cutting into the middle against NHL d-men like Weber or Chara every shift. He's really a 1-dimensional player and I'm glad we picked Bo over him in the draft.

Plus, Bo is just too clutch haha

TSN and sportsnet said Nischuskin doesn't really play the game, but bullies it, and the other team....he doesn't see the ice or his team mates well, he just powers his 6'3 200lbs frame to the net.

That might work in Europe, and in Juniors, but try cutting into the middle against NHL d-men like Weber or Chara every shift. He's really a 1-dimensional player and I'm glad we picked Bo over him in the draft.

Plus, Bo is just too clutch haha

He'll probably take PED's in the beginning like Ovechkinto make sure he scores enough highlight reelers to get a huge raise asap, and then he'll vanish, relatively-speaking, and/or get fat. Like Ovechkin. That's if he's the 'real deal.'

NHL will turn a blind eye of course as Dallas needs their fans back.

He relies on his strength so it might be hard for him (along with many other young forwards who dominated the lower leagues with strength) to translate his game to the nhl level.

Even if he becomes the better offensive player, Horvat will have other valuable intangibles that he doesn't have.

From all the highlight packages I saw of Nichushkin, he almost looks like David Booth. He drives the net with speed...... but with his head down, and seems like his passing skills are non-existant.

He's only 200 pounds... very average for the NHL, and not exactly a power forward. He's a couple of big hits away from sulking like a lot of Russians do, and then dissapearing when the team needs him most.

Unfortunately he will probably get 30-40 points as a roookie while Horvat will still be in the Ohl and everybody on here will lose their mind saying we made the wrong pick.

He'll probably take PED's in the beginning like Ovechkin to make sure he scores enough highlight reelers to get a huge raise asap, and then he'll vanish, relatively-speaking, and/or get fat. Like Ovechkin. That's if he's the 'real deal.'

NHL will turn a blind eye of course as Dallas needs their fans back.

Archived