The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can any of our young guns bump someone from the current roster?

Noseforthenet

First of all we should trade Eddler and Schroeder to Florida for the following:

-3 defenceman Grudbranson, Petrovic, and Robak and maybe a pick.

We have a glut of young talent in our forward position and especially in our center position. We are pretty week in our defensive prospects position. All three guys are punishing players and all are good at moving the puck.All three players are working on and have an upside offensively. Petrovic and Robak are 2nd round picks and Grudbranson is a 3 overall pick. Grudbranson is in the NHL already and the other two will set us up for the future. Florida is week on center ice position for NHL ready guys. Schroeder would fit the bill as ready. Plus he is the wrong kind of player unless we hang on to him for next year if the Sedins do not resign.

Then we would have a line-up of:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Kassian

Higgins Richardson Hansen

Sestito Gaunce Jensen

Santorelli

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrisson Corrado

Tanev Grudbranson

Weber

Any thoughts?

I read the point of Kassian being put with the Sedins again.

This prompted an image of Tortorella going to the Sedins and asking them to "take him under their wing" - show him the ropes, how to be professional, etc.

I then had dual images - one was a 7 AM tennis game with all 3 in matching white tennis shorts and head bands, only Kassian was pale and looked like he was sweating out a night at the Roxy. The other involved a triple bunk bed.

Gillis, if you're reading this - get on it.

Maybe physically, because he's taller and about 15lbs heavier, but mentally I think the edge might go to Shinkaruk. He captained his WHL team and has played N.A hockey a lot longer. Both are great prospects though and will likely crack our top 6 eventually

I think Schroeder will make it, if not he better tear it up in Utica. I don't think he will be back next year unless he gets some serious playing time in the NHL.

Jensen did nothing in Chicago. In fact he has never consistently put up numbers at any level. He was streaky in the OHL, the SEL, and the AHL. He will earn a call-up but will be a flash in the pan at best. He needs consistency in the AHL before getting a full time roster spot.

Gaunce is the wildcard. I don't think Shinkaruk or Horvat will make it.

I think Schroeder will make it, if not he better tear it up in Utica. I don't think he will be back next year unless he gets some serious playing time in the NHL.

Jensen did nothing in Chicago. In fact he has never consistently put up numbers at any level. He was streaky in the OHL, the SEL, and the AHL. He will earn a call-up but will be a flash in the pan at best. He needs consistency in the AHL before getting a full time roster spot.

Gaunce is the wildcard. I don't think Shinkaruk or Horvat will make it.

Mallet is a possible but he probably needs more pro experience first until he can catch up to the speed of the AHL.

Archibald by comparison doesn't have much more experience but he has adjusted more quickly.

He has a decent mix of skills that could easily make Weise an afterthought.

get rid of booth, free up some cap space and play Jensen, Schroeder or Horvat. with lap gone, we will need a big guy like Jensen / Horvat in the line up(kassian seems lost, cant find a groove). with Roy gone, we need the speed and skill of Schroeder on the 3rd line with raymond and hansen. Torts has a good line up to work with, hopefully he can find some chemistry with these guys....

Booth is doubtful for the start of the season. I expect Jensen on the 2nd line and Gaunce or Schroeder on the 3rd line centre

Daniel Sedin / Henrik Sedin / Zack Kassian

Nicklas Jensen / Ryan Kesler / Alexandre Burrows

Chris Higgins / Jordan Schroeder - Brendan Gaunce /Jannik Hansen

Tom Sestito / Mike Santorelli / Brad Richardson

Dale Weise

If Schroeder doesn't make the 1st or 2nd line, he will be in the AHL.

Richardson and Kassian will make the team. Gaunce has a chance at grabbing the 3rd line centre spot and Jensen definately has a shot at making the team. Bo Horvat and Shinkaruk need some AHL time to adjust.

The future of this team is looking better than it did 1 year ago. There are now some prospects that have a legit chance at bumping a vet.

Outside of Schroeder and given their roles. I tend to agree. Still don't think any beyond Schroeder and Kassian have significant roles this year though. We'll being to see in a few months I guess!

In reality a more pure offense winger is the only other possible lineup opening. As I don't think either of Gaunce or Horvat are ready for the responsibility of a shutdown 3C personally...maybe Gaunce in another year but not now.

So it's Jensen or Shink as 2 line winger and Jensen seems to lack the killer instinct and consistent drive of Shink. He has more size and a touch more seasoning but I think Shink's drive, leadership and IMO higher skill level honestly put him slightly ahead.

As a summary, I agree with you > Kassian and Schroeder.

As a wrinkle, how about Gaunce? You mentioned both the need for a scoring winger, and questioned whether he was yet ready for a 3C? Well in junior, he was a play off beast! but this year played mostly on the left wing.

It could be a 3 way battle between Shink (most polished), Jensen (played against most mature comp) and Gaunce who is reported to be by far most physically ready...

Archived