The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can any of our young guns bump someone from the current roster?

Noseforthenet

Yes.

I'd love to see Gaunce push for number 3c. Character, maturity, physically, he's ready. Issue is, is his play, decision making, skating etc ready for the next level. Again, this guy hasn't played in a WJC yet, hasn't faced the best of the best night in night out. I'd prefer to see him one more year in junior/then the AHL but if he's ready hey so be it.

I'd like to see Schroeder on the second line actually. He's too small for the 3c. If you bookend him with big wingers different issue. Ie Booth and maybe Kassian (they have chemistry).

Kassian was on pace for 15 goals 'because' he was playing with the Sedin's. Most of his goals were dirty goals in front of the net or wide open net shots when Henrik set him up. Hansen also score when out with the Sedins but that doesn't mean he has the hands of a 1st liner. Kassian is not a goal scorer, he is just a big body that can create havoc in front of the net and cash in on the 'gifts' he gets from the Sedins. If he is in the penalty box for fighting it also nullifies him as a threat when the Sedins are on the ice. Don't get me wrong, I like Kassian but at this point he has a long way to go before he deserves the 1st line time. If he is worth his salt he will make his own way by being consistant wherever he plays. Last year, I just did not see him as a 1st liner....he could have benefitted from being in the AHL last season.Kassian is a lock in my mind. They NEED this kid to take the next step and it wont happen in the AHL. In the lockout he was almost on a ppg pace there, he won't learn anything more at that level.

Those suggesting he be put on the 4th or sent down, lets not forget he was on pace for a 15 goal season last year (full year) and that's with garbage ice time with AV.

As some also referred to him coming into camp 'in shape'. May I remind you, the kid worked his tail off last off season and dropped 15 - 20 lbs, worked on his footspeed, etc. He did EVERYTHING that was asked of him last year, and did NOT come into camp out of shape, so not sure where those silly comments are coming from.

Give him top line minutes with the Sedins for a number of reasons.

1. He scored like Vanek playing with them. So he has chemistry

2. He was brought in to provide a Bertuzzi/Lucic type presence with them. Let him show he can

3. He needs to build chemistry with them so that come playoff time, when we NEED his size to create more room for them and to be a deterrent, he's had a season of experience with them.

4. It will help us on the PP. Net presence, allows us to move Kesler to pp2, strengthening that unit

5. Learn to be a leader from 2 of our best. Playing on that line will allow him to be 'groomed' by 2 of our best players. How they approach preparation, how the react on ice, etc etc. He will develop into a terrific player if tutored on ice by two of the best. We know he is big, can hit, can fight, brings passion. He needs to work on decision making and puck smarts. That's the biggest reason right there.

As for Jensen, I think he steps in somewhere as well. Its time for him to make the jump and get a chance and I think these 3 players are who Gillis was referring to (along with Corrado).

One of Booth, Kassian (or outside chance of Burrows) who are all penciled in in the top 6 could slide to the third and leave Schroeder setting up whomever is left standing with Kesler. Likely as C (but with Kes taking the majority of draws and then transitioning to wing).

Any of these don't look bad at all:

Booth, Schroeder, Kes

Burrows, Schroeder, Kes

Kes, Schroeder, Kassian

That last one is least likely IMO as your relying on two prospects for that second line. My guess (if he can earn 2nd line) is:

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Bur, Schroeder, Kes

Booth, Rich/Sant, Hansen

Higgins, Rich/Sant, Weise/Sestito etc

MY guess would be only Schroeder if anyone. He has a shoot a third line center but he'd have to prove himself a better option than Richardson and push him down to fourth line with Santorelli on his right wing.

Most likely to see this as a forward lineup :

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Burrows Kesler Hansen

Booth Schroeder Higgins

Sestito Richardson Santorelli

Weise

Kes,Burr and Hansen have played well as a defencive line before and could be greater offencive threats playing together again. Hansen has shown he keep improving every year, so its now or never for him to crack the top 6. They could also shut down top lines all together while putting the puck in the net; driving other teams top lines nuts. Booth and Higgins could then drive the net providing third line scoring and plauying on edge. Where Schroeder can proves he is the creative center his draft predicted while feeding them the puck unless Richardson or Santorelli does a better job.

I like the fact that this team has so many possible lineup combinations, I know that is mostly because of the fact this team doesn't have any clear-cut, can't miss, top 6 guys other than the Sedins, Burrows and Kesler, but it also means young guns do have a chance to step up this year.

I think out of all the prospects, Jensen/Kassian have the best chance to make the cut on one of the top 2 lines.

My guess, if Jensen makes the cut:

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Burrows-Kesler-Higgins

Booth-Santorelli-Hansen

Weise-Richardson-Kassian

Schroeder as 13th forward and possibly Sestito as 14th.

I know having a solid prospect on the bench and Kassian on the 4th line are not ideal, but I don't think the Canucks bump Hansen or Booth or Higgins to the 4th line, and I don't think Weise gets pulled out of the lineup due to him being one of the only "tough" guys in the lineup.

If Jensen doesn't make it, then I think prospects like Kassian and Schroeder will be given more of a role:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Kesler-Higgins

Booth-Schroeder-Hansen

Weise-Santorelli-Richardson

Sestito

I like the fact that this team has so many possible lineup combinations, I know that is mostly because of the fact this team doesn't have any clear-cut, can't miss, top 6 guys other than the Sedins, Burrows and Kesler, but it also means young guns do have a chance to step up this year.

I think out of all the prospects, Jensen/Kassian have the best chance to make the cut on one of the top 2 lines.

My guess, if Jensen makes the cut:

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Burrows-Kesler-Higgins

Booth-Santorelli-Hansen

Weise-Richardson-Kassian

Schroeder as 13th forward and possibly Sestito as 14th.

I know having a solid prospect on the bench and Kassian on the 4th line are not ideal, but I don't think the Canucks bump Hansen or Booth or Higgins to the 4th line, and I don't think Weise gets pulled out of the lineup due to him being one of the only "tough" guys in the lineup.

If Jensen doesn't make it, then I think prospects like Kassian and Schroeder will be given more of a role:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Kesler-Higgins

Booth-Schroeder-Hansen

Weise-Santorelli-Richardson

Sestito

Archived