The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Coach Mike Foligno signs with Devils, Comets will now need new assistant

In general, I'd prefer someone with more experience (and this is certainly not an endorsement of MM for assistant coach) but as counter-intuitive as it might seem, Manny Malhotra actually might be well-suited for a coaching role running a power play.

If you look at his 2010-11 numbers with the Canucks (from before the eye injury), he was surprisingly one of the most effective players on the power play for that Vancouver team:

http://stats.hockeya...Tp&sortdir=DESC

http://stats.hockeya...Tp&sortdir=DESC

In terms of individual stats, Malhotra was 3rd highest in PP points/60 and 2nd highest in goals/60.

In on-ice effectiveness (5 man unit team production), he had the fourth best effectiveness rating, after the twins and Kesler.

He also boasted a PP shooting percentage over 20%, suggesting that he knows where to go and how to claim and hold high percentage scoring areas during the man advantage.

Basically, Malhotra's stats suggest that he has very good knowledge of the individual positioning, team play, and overall systems required for a power play unit to be successful. He might not bring the top-end offensive skills of the highest PP points producers in the NHL, but those skills aren't really teachable. What Manny might be able to provide is the knowledge of the basic things that players need to do while on the ice in order to contribute and be productive on the PP (and regardless of whether or not a player has top-end individual skills and creativity). These are the things that can actually be coached and Malhotra might be someone who has a fair amount to offer in this area. As far as pure offensive skills go, most times guys either have them or they don't (often from an early age) and there's very little coaches can do to actually effect this.

As far as I understand, Linden has no interest in coaching, sadly.

Malholtra, Bure, Keane are all good suggestions, but have huge if's attached to them.

I love the idea of former Canucks going in to coaching.

I really wish Linden would do it, but he's got a lot of stuff going on outside of hockey.

Archived