The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder’s Contract Status

aGENT

DId a search on here and couldn't find anything. Tried Google and the most recent (only) article of relevance was this one.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Vancouver+Canucks+Jordan+Schroeder+agent/8637232/story.html

8446409.jpg

VANCOUVER — No news isn’t always good news, but in the case of Vancouver Canuck centre Jordan Schroeder it should not be any cause for concern, his agent said Tuesday.

Neil Sheehy, the Minneapolis-based agent for Schroeder, said he and the Canucks mutually agreed to put off contract talks until this week.

“To be quite honest with you nothing is holding anything up,” Sheehy said. “I had a conversation with Vancouver and basically said, ‘let’s get through the free agent frenzy,’ which was on the weekend, and actually I owe them a call. I plan to call them and then I’ll know where it’s at.

“We really haven’t had discussions except that they want Jordan, and that he is going to play for them. Everything has been positive so far. We really haven’t got into contract talks. . . there was work I had to do, work they had to do. It’s not that it’s a back-burner issue, but it’s one that could wait a few days and now I think we’ll be talking soon. My guess is we’ll try and hammer something out the next few days.”

Schroeder, coming off his three-year entry-level contract, is a restricted free agent. The Canucks have submitted a qualifying offer for $850,000 to the 22-year-old. However, that offer is a two-way deal and it’s safe to assume Sheehy will be seeking a one-way contract for his client.

Schroeder, Vancouver’s first-round pick (22nd overall) in the 2009 draft, is expected to get a long look at training camp for the vacant third-line centre position with the Canucks.

“I’d rather wait and talk to Vancouver,” Sheehy said when asked if he felt a one-way contract could be a stumbling block. “I tend not to negotiate in the media. . .we have to sit down and talk about things and come to some sort of agreement.”

Schroeder played 31 games with the Canucks last season -- his first in the NHL -- and registered three goals and nine points.

The Canucks have a couple of other key restricted free agents to sign, most notably defenceman Chris Tanev.

“Nothing new to report,” his agent Ross Gurney said Tuesday.

Tanev, expected to be Vancouver’s fifth defenceman this season, made $900,000 last season and figures to more than double his salary.

Winger Dale Weise, another RFA, is headed to salary arbitration. Although his agent, Allain Roy, early last week said his client was close to striking a new deal with the Canucks, Roy confirmed on Tuesday that Weise will file for salary arbitration.

The Canucks have only about $5.1 million of cap space remaining to fill out their 23-man roster with four more players.

ICE CHIPS: Goalie Roberto Luongo survived his first day of the World Series of Poker’s main event tourney in Las Vegas. Luongo resumes play at the $10,000 buy-in event on Wednesday. He is representing the B.C. Lottery Corp.’s PlayNow.com brand at the tournament.

Its just the issue of one way contract that is the stumbling point. Gillis just doesnt want a repeat of last year with $4.5+mil sitting in the press bix like last year. Sure they will pay him $1.0+mil per year, but if he isnt being used or making the team, then he can play top line minutes in Uttica and not be subject to waivers.

Im hoping they actually package him for depth on defence or young forward

Its just the issue of one way contract that is the stumbling point. Gillis just doesnt want a repeat of last year with $4.5+mil sitting in the press bix like last year. Sure they will pay him $1.0+mil per year, but if he isnt being used or making the team, then he can play top line minutes in Uttica and not be subject to waivers.

Assuming you mean he won't be subjected to waivers due to the 2-way contract, that's not actually how waivers/2-way contracts work. 2-way contracts just split the salaries a player makes in the NHL and AHL. For example, I think Lain makes 600,000 per season at the NHL level and 200,000 per season at the AHL level on his new contract.

Not sure about the 850k qualifying offer part. His NHL side salary was 900k last season with a 125 bonus - I was under the impression that qualifying offers on contracts under a million had to be +10%? ie 990k or perhaps match the 1,025,000 total on the NHL side of the contract. In any event I think that's a fair offer in around the one million mark - he hasn't necessary earned a raise on that yet (and the same may be the case for the one way deal part - if you earn your spot, you take care of that yourself.)

I wouldn't blame Schroeder's agent for wanting a 1 way contract. 4 years playing on the farm team and 31gams played in the NHL. What the Canucks offered Schroeder was a slap in the face at that I would ask for 1 way contract minimum 1.5 million or a trade.

Not sure about the 850k qualifying offer part. His NHL side salary was 900k last season with a 125 bonus - I was under the impression that qualifying offers on contracts under a million had to be +10%? ie 990k or perhaps match the 1,025,000 total on the NHL side of the contract. In any event I think that's a fair offer in around the one million mark - he hasn't necessary earned a raise on that yet (and the same may be the case for the one way deal part - if you earn your spot, you take care of that yourself.)

What effect do the Brule rumours have upon this? They recently signed them other blokes, Richardson, Santo..& Schroeds also had shoulder probs, didn't he? Not a perfect situation for Sheehy entering negotiations.

The danger is Schroeder goes through a team, or two, but ultimately develops into a mini-Parise, or St Louis. Guy does have speed, skill & work ethic. I hope they give him at least on more honest shot.

Archived