The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks to retire Pavel Bure's #10 this season

AriGold

Personally I am delighted that we have finally chosen to honour Pavel in this manner.

His number should have been in the rafters years ago, it's good to see that any old scars seem to have healed.

All the arguments about whether #10 should or shouldn't be hoisted can be countered with one simple question;

"Name one player in the history of this franchise who was a better hockey player than Pavel Bure?"

We will probably never again see such an exciting talent pull on a Canucks jersey.

There was nothing hyped about his abilities on the ice, or the huge demands he made of himself to reach the heights he did.

His place in the HHOF is richly deserved - and so is his #10 in the rafters at Rogers Arena.

Finally ! My hunch is that seasons tickets purchase's are down, so the announcement is key. It will take the heat off the Luongo fiasco and manager for a bit.

In any case watching videos of Bure's time with the Canucks is about the best skill and speed you will ever see. Every time Bure stepped on the ice it was exiting.The guy played the way it should be played: all out. Its good they are finally recognizing his greatness.

Please name another player in the NHL who played half his career with one club (7 seasons), and the rest elsewhere (7 seasons) and has their jersey retired:

Okay, name one player who has played 7 seasons with one club and had their jersey retired:

Seriously your patterned lack of critical thinking is becoming almost comedic.

Too use one of the idiotic examples you guys keep bringing up...Messier played 12 years with Edmonton, 6 in NY, then 3 in Van and another 4 in NY. And his jersey was retired in Edmonton AND New York despite the bulk of his years (particularly the notable ones) being in Edmonton.

Really you just need to stop...all your doing is making yourself look ignorant and bitter.

Seriously your patterned lack of critical thinking is becoming almost comedic.

Too use one of the idiotic examples you guys keep bringing up...Messier played 12 years with Edmonton, 6 in NY, then 3 in Van and another 4 in NY. And his jersey was retired in Edmonton AND New York despite the bulk of his years (particularly the notable ones) being in Edmonton.

Really you just need to stop...all your doing is making yourself look ignorant and bitter.

So...he played 25 seasons, 10 in NY and 12 in Edmonton....won cups with both teams...hmnnnnn....

Bitter maybe, ignorant? Hardly.

Well you clearly don't have a clue.

I question if you have one, all Heretic is doing is providing his/her opinion with facts. All you are doing is coming across as a giant prick by using personal attacks in a discussion forum.

Which teams jersey is Bure going to be represented with in the hall of fame?

That should tell you all you need to know. The other players in the rafters don't even touch the greatness that Bure had as a player.

If we didn't honor our only hall of famer, the media would be b*tching about that too.

1 - He's not our "only" Hall of Famer (Neely, Larionov, Messier are all former Canucks)

2 - The HHoF has nothing to do with individual franchises. It's about a players career.

3 - Being a great player doesn't = being a great Canuck. Eg: Messier was a great player.

4 - This is a message board for discussion and sharing opinions. Which includes expressing disagreement with some things.

Congrats to Bure! Well deserved.

All the haters seem to have a rather warped view of history. If you take away all your emotional bias (a lot of it based off incorrect assumptions/information I might add)...there's no logical reason why his jersey shouldn't be hanging from the rafters.

Insufficient games played here. That's what it really comes down to for me. There should be at least one of two factors achieved to have your number retired. Contributing to Stanley of victories for the franchise, or dedication to the franchise. Bure has neither here.

Unlike those other former Canuck HOFers, Bure earned the nod while being a Canuck. This is fairly significant. We'd look like idiots if we didn't appropiately honour him.

Probably the most sensible post so far.

1 - He's not our "only" Hall of Famer (Neely, Larionov, Messier are all former Canucks)

2 - The HHoF has nothing to do with individual franchises. It's about a players career.

3 - Being a great player doesn't = being a great Canuck. Eg: Messier was a great player.

4 - This is a message board for discussion and sharing opinions. Which includes expressing disagreement with some things.

1. Neely, Larionov, and Messier are not Canucks hall of famers. They're Bruins, Red Wings, and Rangers hall of famers. No one considers these guys Canucks now.

2. Yes, the hockey hall of fame is about a career. Bure played the majority of his career here and had his most success. That's the reason why he will be inducted with a Canucks sweater.

3. Being a great player over 7 years during a crucial time for the franchise, does equal being a great Canuck.

4. Yep you're right it is, and I'm disagreeing with people that say that Bure doesn't deserve to have his number retired. ;)

For those that are against it due to stats... the reality is that the decision to retire a jersey is an emotional one. Other than Linden I would say that most fans emotionally identify with Bure, more than any other player. Who cares what his stats are or how many games he played or what he won or didn't win... the decision is obviously the right one because so many fans want it.

Please name another player in the NHL who played half his career with one club (7 seasons), and the rest elsewhere (7 seasons) and has their jersey retired:

Okay, name one player who has played 7 seasons with one club and had their jersey retired:

Ray Bourque.

It would be interesting to do a poll to see how many people going to the retirement ceremony game will be purchasing a Bure jersey. I bought my third Linden Jersey the night his number went up to the rafters.

If it don't make dollas it don't make sense!

$$$$$ is always the right reason to do something in business.

Ray Bourque.

Huh?

"Raymond Jean Bourque (born December 28, 1960) is a Canadian former professional ice hockey player. He currently holds records for most career goals, assists, and points by a defenceman in the National Hockey League(NHL). Bourque is also an Olympian and has become near-synonymous with the Boston Bruins franchise, for which he played 21 seasons and became its longest-serving captain. He finished his career with the Colorado Avalanchewhere he won the Stanley Cup in his last NHL game."

Again, Pat Lafontaine's jersey is hanging up in Buffalo. 5 seasons with very little playoff success.

But you can't bring in what other teams have done and then discredit things like a HOF selection, which is a much greater honour.

So if another franchise does something stupid it means we have to? The rumor was they retired Lafontaines number to entice him back to take a front office job. He took the job but soon after quit.

Who's discrediting Bure's HHoF selection and what does the HHoF have to do with the Canucks franchise? Actually I'll answer that second part for you: Nothing.

So if another franchise does something stupid it means we have to? The rumor was they retired Lafontaines number to entice him back to take a front office job. He took the job but soon after quit.

Who's discrediting Bure's HHoF selection and what does the HHoF have to do with the Canucks franchise? Actually I'll answer that second part for you: Nothing.

It's not stupid if they make money off of it.

Players like Harold Snepts and Stan Smyl and Tony Tanti and Don Lever did far more for this team than Bure did.

Tell me how those players saved the franchise? Bure revitalized interest in the team during some dark times. If it wasn't for him Im not sure the team would be here anymore. There was a time not so long ago where people weren't going to the games.

Archived