The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on Gillis

Shredder

60/40 at this point.

on one hand, Gillis has attracted and signed some solid players to great contracts at term with the cap going up where in 2-4 years those contracts will look like steals.

He has also managed to keep training and other aspects of the team world class or better.

But then we get to the 40%

His off the wall drafting in his first few years and his constant giving away of draft picks set the prospect bin back by years. Rodin, Sauve Schroeder, and many more which had us all questioning things. But he also managed to find some amazing young players as well so on the other hand over the last 2 years his drafting has greatly improved. So on a par his drafting is so so or 50/50

But trades. This man has lost just about every trade he's been it, whether it be from return, overpayment or timing.

Ballard. Overpayment, Bernier (1st) Grabner (1st) and a 1st round pick. For Ballard who was such a promising guy yet totally under utilized by the coach for whatever reason. Ill timed Hodgson.

Sulzer and Hodgson for Kassian (who I swear will work out) and Marc Andre Gragnani. He absolutely could have gotten a much better return on Hodgson later on in the year and we may not have been bounced in 5 games....but we'd still be analyzing and complaining about the return not being enough or whatever. Jury is still out on Kassian

Sturm and Sammuelsson for Booth, could have been should have been great but Booth cannot stay healthy so it's a wash

Horvat for Schneider. Nobody will argue that Gillis could have and should have gotten more, we all know at least a 2nd or prospect should have come across as well but what can you do. We solved the goalie issue and got Bo, who we all see as being the future captain or workhorse of this team and have Lack and Erikkson and Luongo still in net. A still untapped glut of wealth in net. The trade is a wash.

So to sum it up, as long as Gillis isn't doing the trading or he starts trending upwards he's a solid GM.

I mean let's be honest it could be worse, he could be Snow or Millbury esque

Ehrhoff trade was a clear win.

Lapierre trade was a clear win.

Higgins trade was a clear win.

Alberts trade was a clear win.

There are ups and downs for every GM. So far MG is definitely a plus.

Name one GM that has had the job for 5 years and I'll point out several of their screw ups. The point is not to not make mistakes, it's to have a plan and execute it.

Suggest to Luo the goalie circus is over.

Gillis is a mixed bag.He hates the media and yet wants and exerts control.His draft record sucked and he shed draft picks like toothpicks in his first three years.He picked up good FA's and yet gave up on good young players.

I believe he has done a fairly good job but his communication skills suck and some of his people skills seriously lack.

At times he acts more like a lawyer than a priviliged human being with one of the best jobs on the planet.

It is less maddening to concentrate on the players and their year's work rather than the GM and/or the coach.

These are your only "winning" trades after 5 years? That's a fail for Gillis. His lossess far exceed his wins. His inability to trade Luongo goes on that losses list too.

His decision making is atrocious. We have nearly half the team locked up in no trades and a goalie who wants out but can't be moved. There's some issues. I truly hope I am wrong, but I agree with the general thought tthat the team is on the decline.

People seem to remember the bad trades that happen and forget the good trades. Any GM that's been in the business a long time has had their fair share of blunders and MG is a fairly new GM compared with others around the league.

Most of the trades that were done made sense at the time. For example, we were hyped about having Ballard here and theoretically it could have worked. People get angry that Grabner and Hodgson are not here anymore, but they likely would also have had different outcomes had they stayed here, especially in Grabner's case.

My main bone to pick with MG would be that he kept AV for too long. AV's a good coach but I felt like we needed a new coach a couple of years ago as it was clear things were not working. Also, Luongo should have not been made captain, but at least MG has the guts to try things like that.

I'm not going to say he's the best GM, but I will say that MG is learning as he goes and will likely get wiser as time goes on. Given how smart he is, is there really another GM that will likely do better? Perhaps there is, but it would be like pulling straws compared with keeping MG.

Hes bad.

hes made some good signings. But guys like Hamhuis and Garrison wanted to play here so they could have been signed by any GM. doesnt count.

Bad signings and trades - Ballard, Booth, Kassian, Schneider Bad trades. Luongo, Burrows, Higgins bad signings.

good trades: Higgins, Ehrhoff, Lapierre.

overall hes been bad. anyone who says otherwise is way too optimistic. the bad he has done outweighs the good and thats a fact.

GM is ruining this team.

Hes bad.

hes made some good signings. But guys like Hamhuis and Garrison wanted to play here so they could have been signed by any GM. doesnt count.

Bad signings and trades - Ballard, Booth, Kassian, Schneider Bad trades. Luongo, Burrows, Higgins bad signings.

overall hes been bad. anyone who says otherwise is way too optimistic. the bad he has done outweighs the good and thats a fact.

GM is ruining this team.

Hes bad.

GM is ruining this team.

Hes bad.

GM is ruining this team.

I don't mind MG im not his biggest fan but I'm also not on the fire MG wagon. As far as I'm concerned his/and the canucks Org's biggest blunder was letting it be known that he was shopping Luo. Rask and Thomas played in boston for years as the nhl's best tandem and Boston never really talked much about shopping either of them though I'm sure there was a ton of interest around the league in acquiring one of them. Thomas talked himself out of the NHL but that wasn't bostons fault.

However the thing that bothers me most was not taking the risk on Mitchell when MG was willing to trade for Booth both had concussion history but Mitchell was a guy you win cups with if there is anything as a fan I'm sour about it was not bringing Mitchell back trading Grabz for Ballard aside that chaffs my buttox.

However that said Garrison and Hamhuis Lappy and Higgins those were moves that really improved us.

The jury is still out on Kass for Coho though I would wager that in the short term we come no closer to winning a cup with COHO than we do with Kass so we will see if in a few seasons Kass will have a Bickell like postseason.

As well as the C wall for BO HO although I highly doubt a 27 year old Schnider gets us a 23 year old BO HO. So with where we were at with Luongo probably not even fetching a 2nd rounder and the fact that Luo probably has 4 or so seasons of solid play left in him(enough time to develop another goalie) it was kind of a wash as far as I'm concerned. C Schnide goes somewhere where he can never make us pay for trading him (Calgary or Edm probably would have paid more but we'd have to play him umpteen times a season.) And we have a prospect that is noting like any other player we have in our system and is pretty freaking good.

All tolled GM MG Receives a C+ in my books.

Hes bad.

GM is ruining this team.

I love the mentality of this website... Anything anyone does good doesn't count because of some stupid reason.

Lu's gold medal doesn't count because Canada. Keslers Selke doesn't count because the Sedins. AV's success here doesn't count because he had a good team. GMMG's good signings don't count because apparently anyone could do it.

Stop this crap lol... Give credit where credit is due.

Erhoff, Hamhuis, Garrison, Tanev, Alberts, The Sedins, Kesler, Beeska, and Edler all have taken pay-cuts to play here. I'm too lazy and not 100% sure on the Sedins but guess who signed those guys? GMMG. Great signings.

Kassian is turning out be a good trade as Hodgson is turning out to be a drama queen. I'd take a kid who wants to play the best he can over him any day.

Ballard trade was neither won nor lost. Yes Grabner flipped a leaf but at the time we were dumping him, Florida lost him too.

How is Higgins a good trade but a bad sign? He is a great 3rd liner and plays well with Hansen so....?

As for Burrows... Do we really need him? (For those too dim-witted to understand I am making a reference to the thread, I love Burr)

Schneider or Lu had to go, we needed prospects. Schneider was traded because Lu's contract couldn't be moved. It was a good trade that HAD TO HAPPEN. Get it through your head. What has Schneider done for the Canucks that Lu hasn't, now flip the question.

Booth plays very well when not injured, by your standards Kesler is a write off as him and Booth have had similar points aside from Kes' 41 goal season. I will pass my judgment on Booth this year as I am hoping he stays healthy.

Hes bad.

GM is ruining this team.

Archived