The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] VAN Claims Ryan Stanton

Strombone1

You're just re-stating weak arguments Surfer and ignoring what multiple posters are trying to show you.

Using the word rebuild when referring to a team that didn't move a single skater is nonsense - that's pretty obvious.

Complaining about the salary of a guy like Higgins is pretty oblivious - a guy who scores 43 points on the third line is worth a league average - this team has a number of players sign under market value precisely because it enables them to afford that kind of talent on their third line - and that is utterly elite third line production, from a player who not only produces but is a highly intelligent and effective two way player. People need to stop whining about Higgins contract - it really sets them apart from people some perspective.

Suggesting that players like Raymond ironically, or Gill, or Gilbert or any of those highly debatable 'upgrades' that you've listed would get this team "back up" is a pretty silly assumption.

You can complain about Santorelli until you're blue in the face - you obviously missed the preseason - a former 20 goal scorer with the kind of showing he has made, at 550k screams out potential competitor for the dollar for dollar deal of the offseason. Give it a rest until you've seen a bit of what these guys have to offer.

Anyhow - round and round as you avoid the obvious context of this offseason and continue with weak assumption after weak assumption - is a waste of time. Another poster has pointed out that there are weaker teams in far worse cap condition - try looking at things in a relative sense, particularly in exceptional circumstances like this summer. If I could be bothered to continue with this I'd ask you to ground yourself for once and tell me which of those teams (LA, Boston, Pitts, NYR, Chicago etc) got 'better' this offseason - actually put something in context - but honestly, my experience with discussing stuff like this with you is that you resist making sense at all costs in favour of pretending you have a better prescription than what management is doing.

Another poster has referred to it as "chronic tunnel vision" - I think that is accurate.

Looks like Stanton's going to get a shot on the 3rd pairing with Tanev:

How Andrew Alberts lost his job to a guy with one career NHL game

(PITB; they go on to do some video analysis of the various ways Alberts sucked in pre-season if you're interested. I still like him as an extra though, he seems to be best utilized as an emergency mid-season injury replacement, I hope if it comes down to it we waive Sestito over Alberts).

There might be a bit too much being made of a few September games in which Alberts wasn't at his best.

He's been a pretty solid 7th man for a few years now, and hopefully that's what he'll be again this year. Ideally the lineup is deep enough that he's a 7th man, and

Too much is also probably also being made of the point that Stanton has played 1 NHL game - or that so and so is losing his spot (who has spots to lose at this point? probably not the depth players - they're still competing for them) to a guy with 1 game. Just the usual Vanmedia Drama. The point of picking up a player is to see what they have to offer, see how they make out in your system or on your roster. I'd like to see Stanton in the lineup - see how he looks - a game is not going to make or break any player or team. Alberts has gone from lineup to press box and back many many times and regardless, This isn't really bordering on revelation. He's a really good asset to have in the organization regardless of whether he's ever owned a third pairing spot?

Agreed, that's why I cut off the post quote before they got into a blow-by-blow analysis of what he did wrong. Alberts has also shown in the past that's he's a slow learner when it comes to new systems, so they might have decided it's best to keep him practicing/watching the team for a bit.

Typically I like PITB a lot more than the other local journalists, but since Shinkaruk got sent back it seems like they've gotten themselves a little bit irrationally worked up.

Agreed, that's why I cut off the post quote before they got into a blow-by-blow analysis of what he did wrong. Alberts has also shown in the past that's he's a slow learner when it comes to new systems, so they might have decided it's best to keep him practicing/watching the team for a bit.

Typically I like PITB a lot more than the other local journalists, but since Shinkaruk got sent back it seems like they've gotten themselves a little bit irrationally worked up.

There might be a bit too much being made of a few September games in which Alberts wasn't at his best.

He's been a pretty solid 7th man for a few years now, and hopefully that's what he'll be again this year. Ideally the lineup is deep enough that he's a 7th man, and

Too much is also probably also being made of the point that Stanton has played 1 NHL game - or that so and so is losing his spot (who has spots to lose at this point? probably not the depth players - they're still competing for them) to a guy with 1 game. Just the usual Vanmedia Drama. The point of picking up a player is to see what they have to offer, see how they make out in your system or on your roster. I'd like to see Stanton in the lineup - see how he looks - a game is not going to make or break any player or team. Alberts has gone from lineup to press box and back many many times and regardless, This isn't really bordering on revelation. He's a really good asset to have in the organization regardless of whether he's ever owned a third pairing spot?

Hal Gill $700K?

Hainsey $2 mill?

Morrow $1.5 mill?

Raymond $1.0 mill?

Gilbert $900K?

Boyes $1 mill?

We could have afforded any two of these, as long as Hainsey was not in the equation. Any two if we waived Weise.

Stretching the conversation (here attracting the players would have been a big ask);

Could have afforded Jagr at $2 mill ($2 mill bonus carry over)?

Damian Brunner $2.5 mill.?

Ryan Whitney $900K?

Selanne $2 mill? (here I clearly jest)

Cleary $1.75 mill? (also here)

I guess I'm just sulking; a healthy Kesler aside there is very little to suggest we have gotten much better. Players from these lists could have jumped us much closer to competitive projections for LA or SJ.

Changing gears (and my direction in threads) it could instead come from;

Schroeder development?

Edler return to form?

Kassian development?

Daniel return to form?

Dalpe surprises?

Booth returns to (Florida) form?

Santorelli surprises?

Lou in Vezina form? (several in press on NHL.COM pick him as front runner :) )

Hansen or Burrows takes a strong step forward?

All of these are possible! And we have center ice depth (improved), defensive depth and (prospect level) goal depth plus (some) cap space. So trades and the deadline can come in to play. I'm cheering no matter what!

If there are any longer term injuries Corrado will get called up, Stanton will remain a 7 or 8 guy, maybe playing a few games here and there for short term injuries or to add a physical presence.

Interesting to see what happens when Schroeder gets back. There is also a chance Santorelli gets sent down at that time.

Archived