The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Conspiracy Theories

5Fivehole0

Didn't Gillis whine about the playoff penalty discrepancy a couple years ago?

Talk about pathetic. Whining about penalties/lack of power plays is something losers do.

The Canucks need to stop worrying about the refs and start worrying about playing hard for the puck.

I really like John Garrett, he seems like a really nice man(especially when he talks about junk food on live TV), but this article reeks of homerism, which is not below Mr. Garrett.

If the Canucks were as aggressive on the puck as a team like SJ, they would not be last in the league in powerplays.

You don't watch Canuck games...nor saw how/why Hansen was injured

The most tell tale indicator of the canuck screwing culture of the NHL is how the refs let out a little fart from lifting their arms so quickly to call a penalty when a canuck breaks an opponenets stick. Whenever one of our guys gets a broken stick..., oh it gets a very careful look before they decide no.....no foul there, lol.

I think I have seen 30 of these against and maybe 1 for us in the last few years

Canucks should hire Makeveli to make the ultimate refs screwing Vancouver hilight video.

Growing up i had season tickets to the Winnipeg Jets, went to many games in the 80's, after watching the Canucks for the past 20 years now i can say that Vancouver gets fu**ed in the a** too often for it to merely be "coincidence".

"Coincidence" and constantly re-occurring are 2 very opposite things.

Have you watched SJ skate their butts off all game and push the play, thus, out playing every team they've faced? Sure, they dive sometimes, but so does every team in this league.

Your just one of those Canucks haters aren't you? I have trouble understanding why people create accounts strictly for the purpose of hating on the team. It's a Canucks forum lol

I've done a simple statistical test by following an undergraduate statistics textbook that I used years back. I got the data from the game-by-game stats at nhl.com:

http://www.nhl.com/i...d=nav-sts-gbyg#

I will skip the details. Simply put, I compared the league average PP opp of 3.688 to canucks avg PP opp of 2.636. The null hypothesis is that there is no difference in mean PP opps between the league and the canucks versus alternative hypothesis that the league mean PP is greater. I estimated* the standard deviation (variance) and used the one-sided t-test at alpha=5% significance level.

The t-statistic was 1.85 and the critical value was 1.66 -- 1.85 > 1.66 => the conclusion is to reject the null hypothesis that there is no difference in favour of the alternative hypothesis that the mean league PP opps is larger. Simply put, there is statistically significant difference between the league and the canucks PP opportunities.

Of course, I had to make few assumptions to carry out the test so can't say with certainty that this conclusion is absolutely correct but at least there is a reason to suspect that the canucks are being treated unfairly (for some reason). Also, the sample size of 11 games is still too small so maybe I can try again after 20 or 30 games mark and see if I get the same conclusion.

We are not whiners, we are resilient and will use the poor officiating as motivation. However, to even discuss 'conspiracy theories' is moronic. Maybe the Canucks planned 9/11? Maybe the Canucks hijacked Cptn. Phillips ship? Dumb...

GG man! Why don't you have a look at what the NSA have been up to? The USA have to be the most corrupt nation in history-from the top, right on through.

Dishonest in business, war, & diplomacy..Yet you'd trust their pro sports leagues?

I have to disagree with Cheech and many others on here. Sure, calls are missed sometimes like they are in every game throughout the NHL. However, when our guys are not getting "enough" calls it is simply because they are not working hard enough to get those calls.

We have a reputation for a reason in this league. Again last night the Sedins showed how horrible they are at drawing penalties. When the refs see there feet give out they are not going to call it.

Do calls get missed? They sure do. Do they only get missed against us? Hellz no.

Our power play disparity is simply because we don't work hard enough for them. Put your head down and play, keep your feet moving, worry about putting the puck in the net and the calls will follow because the refs will see that that is what you are focusing on.

My two cents.

Edit: Fans complain when even up calls are made, yet when it suddenly has to do with them then it's a problem.

The problem with your opinion is it does not match up to reality. One of the main things about the team this year that can be said is that they are working incredibly hard, they are playing with lots of puck possession and zone time yet they are not drawing calls.. In fact they are drawing the least calls while getting called (and suspended) at an odd rate given the types of players we have on this team. There is no way to watch these games and some of the playoff series .. over the last 3 years and not see something is up.. I mean we KNOW something was up; the Auger thing is indisputable when you look at the tape and how that all played out.

The on-ice officials need to be held accountable for their actions. Why aren't they? Because that's not what Bettman wants. I'd swear that he allows the officials to have free reign without consequence so he can more easily achieve that game (and playoff series) management he's so fond of.

It's sad to think that in order for the Canucks (or possibly any Canadian team?) to win a championship, they'll have to try twice as hard in order to overcome the opposing team and the refs.

Yea but....

When you have a good team other teams tend to take penalties trying to stop you. Maybe we shouldn't blame the refs. At least not 100%.

We drew lots of penalties that year we were the best team in the league.. we also had the best pp by a large margin (like historical i think) and then oddly..mid way through the year, poof as if every player in the league changed their stripes gone.. hardly any pp's.. not just a little change but night and day no matter who we played.

We've seen the Augier thing. Hell even Boston against tampa in 11. Tampa was killing boston with the pp then in the deciding game 7 the Big Bad Bruins that play rough tough old school hockey took no penalties? None? Nata? .. puh lease.

To say that there isn't "game management" in favour of certain outcomes or as vendetta against certain teams/players just cannot be supported.

My issue with that statement,

Other teams get the calls when they embellish, even when it's blatantly obvious...

Other things such as Burrows getting checked into the goalie and gets a goal tender interference penalty...

Refs should stop deciding games, simple as that.

Edit:

Last year in the play-offs... Kesler gets cross checked from behind, goes face first into the boards...no call. Lappy barely touches a player and he goes down... Penalty...

Couture throws the puck out of the zone... no call

Sedin uses shaft of stick to win face-off... Penalty

Roy of all people............. ROY touches wingles... Wingles falls to the ice with a head "injury" Is fine and plays.. Roy gets a major.

Stop defending the refs

Wingles in particular seemed to "draw" a lot of critical "boarding" penalties by being flung into the boards by known hitters like Roy and Sedin in that series.

Wingles in particular seemed to "draw" a lot of critical "boarding" penalties by being flung into the boards by know hitters like Roy and Sedin in that series.

First check Daniel has thrown in his life. Shoulder on shoulder. Gets called a penalty in OT by the ref half way across the ice (and not by the ref standing right next to the play). Classic NHL refereeing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ltSwL3Mo8

Your just one of those Canucks haters aren't you? I have trouble understanding why people create accounts strictly for the purpose of hating on the team. It's a Canucks forum lol

Wow, you question my loyalty to the Canucks because I don't buy into conspiracy theories? Teams that play hard get the calls ie. San Jose so far this year. When the Nucks play hard they get the calls, when they don't, they don't.

Too many fans have this conspiracy theory filter on in their heads, so every time a call is missed they go nuts. The problem is that every time a call goes their way it's ignored again and again until another call is missed and then they go nuts. It's a vicious cycle that has been going on for years.

Yeah there is a ton of bad calls against us, and non-calls against the other team. Our opponents dive sometimes too. But guess what? It's like that for every team in the league.

The league and the refs aren't "out to get us", there is no "anti-Canuck bias".

The simple answer? The refs are human. They make mistakes, sometimes more than you would hope the (supposed) best in the world would. Sure there is tons of video evidence of us getting bad calls against us, but (believe it or not) there are examples of us getting away with things too!

Get over it folks.

Didn't Gillis whine about the playoff penalty discrepancy a couple years ago?

Talk about pathetic. Whining about penalties/lack of power plays is something losers do.

The Canucks need to stop worrying about the refs and start worrying about playing hard for the puck.

I really like John Garrett, he seems like a really nice man(especially when he talks about junk food on live TV), but this article reeks of homerism, which is not below Mr. Garrett.

If the Canucks were as aggressive on the puck as a team like SJ, they would not be last in the league in powerplays.

The Canucks are aggressive on the puck and still get bs calls. Did you see the call on Danny in game four OT at San Jose last playoffs? I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.

Archived