The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Conspiracy Theories

5Fivehole0

I don't like his logic that the elite teams deserve an advantage in calls made by the refs, but I do agree that the Canucks have been getting the short end of the stick with subjective calls on a fairly regular basis.

I'd like to see the rule book enforced consistently as it's written, not some games called strictly and some games called loosely. Make the rules black and white so that refs can't be inconsistent in their calls and have a higher authority that can review the reffing and discipline/correct their bias.

I have to disagree with Cheech and many others on here. Sure, calls are missed sometimes like they are in every game throughout the NHL. However, when our guys are not getting "enough" calls it is simply because they are not working hard enough to get those calls.

We have a reputation for a reason in this league. Again last night the Sedins showed how horrible they are at drawing penalties. When the refs see there feet give out they are not going to call it.

Do calls get missed? They sure do. Do they only get missed against us? Hellz no.

Our power play disparity is simply because we don't work hard enough for them. Put your head down and play, keep your feet moving, worry about putting the puck in the net and the calls will follow because the refs will see that that is what you are focusing on.

My two cents.

Edit: Fans complain when even up calls are made, yet when it suddenly has to do with them then it's a problem.

Have you even followed this team in recent years? If you have then you can't say that AV and the Canucks weren't targeted by Sutherland last year against San Jose. The call on Danny in OT that ended the season says it all.

We have a reputation for a reason in this league. Again last night the Sedins showed how horrible they are at drawing penalties. When the refs see there feet give out they are not going to call it.

Where is SJ's reputation? #1 for PP oppurtunities in the league with half a dozen divers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUinrGIqJHI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khCm7Ly0pjk

LOL , it figures that San Jose has most PP given to them a game, it's no wonder their were they are in the standings.

47 POWER PLAYS IN 9 GAMES

I just had to point that out.... but 47!!!!!!!!

That's 5.222_ power plays per game

29 penalties in 9 games

That's 3.222_ penalty kills per game

They have had 25 minutes and 53 seconds more time on the PP than PK... that is 8 mins more than 2nd place who is only less than 2 minutes above 3rd.

they have had 66 mins playing 5 on 4... and people wonder how they are pulling this winning streak off.

Vancouver has spent 16:47 more time on PK than PP and have spent 65:59 on the PK

My issue with that statement,

Other teams get the calls when they embellish, even when it's blatantly obvious...

Other things such as Burrows getting checked into the goalie and gets a goal tender interference penalty...

Refs should stop deciding games, simple as that.

Edit:

Last year in the play-offs... Kesler gets cross checked from behind, goes face first into the boards...no call. Lappy barely touches a player and he goes down... Penalty...

Couture throws the puck out of the zone... no call

Sedin uses shaft of stick to win face-off... Penalty

Roy of all people............. ROY touches wingles... Wingles falls to the ice with a head "injury" Is fine and plays.. Roy gets a major.

Stop defending the refs

If you turn off your Canucks psychological filter you will see things a little clearer. If you think that our guys don't embellish anymore and get the calls then you are simply not looking for that. You are looking for every call that doesn't go our way. Hank got hooked last game and his legs slid out from under him like they do every game.

I'm not defending the refs, I think the reffing in the NHL is bush and the worst in sports, however, when our guys work hard we get the calls, when they don't, we don't. You won't (I assume) ever mention a game when we get lots of PP's, and ones that we didn't deserve too, but will in the games we don't.

If you turn off your Canucks psychological filter you will see things a little clearer. If you think that our guys don't embellish anymore and get the calls then you are simply not looking for that. You are looking for every call that doesn't go our way. Hank got hooked last game and his legs slid out from under him like they do every game.

I'm not defending the refs, I think the reffing in the NHL is bush and the worst in sports, however, when our guys work hard we get the calls, when they don't, we don't. You won't (I assume) ever mention a game when we get lots of PP's, and ones that we didn't deserve too, but will in the games we don't.

LOL , it figures that San Jose has most PP given to them a game, it's no wonder their were they are in the standings.

29 penalties in 9 games

That's 3.222_ power plays per game

They have had 25 minutes and 53 seconds more time on the PP than PK... that is 8 mins more than 2nd place who is only less than 2 minutes above 3rd.

they have had 66 mins playing 5 on 4... and people wonder how they are pulling this winning streak off.

Vancouver has spent 16:47 more time on PK than PP and have spent 65:59 on the PK

29 penalties in 9 games

That's 3.222_ power plays per game

Have you watched SJ skate their butts off all game and push the play, thus, out playing every team they've faced? Sure, they dive sometimes, but so does every team in this league.

Have you watched SJ skate their butts off all game and push the play, thus, out playing every team they've faced? Sure, they dive sometimes, but so does every team in this league.

Skate their butts off meaning...after they fall on them?

For example...

The Canucks dominated the 5 on 5 play against San Jose in the play-offs, yet did not get the calls... San Jose did...

The Canucks have been playing pretty good 5 on 5 and usually out shoot their opponent, yet are losing in the calls... makes no sense to me...

Cheech is one of the most relatable guy in the sports world.

Love having him on our team - what he says here is simple and true.

Take a note crypt keeper et al.

If you were here right now Cheech, I'd make you a kick ass tray of nachos, Dubliner and Balderson's 5 year old, peppers, red onions, artichoke hearts, kalamatas, and some homemade guac.

Correction: cheese only, as Cheech likes em.

Sure, there is a discrepancy in the amount of penalties against/for, but I still think we lack the ability to draw penalties. I've seen many calls that go against us that shouldn't be called, agreed, but I have not seen too many missed calls against other teams when they play the Canucks. Sure, they miss some, and some have their reasoning, but all in all it's not too bad.

The problem with officiating is when the penalty is against us, not when we don't get calls.

So we need to dive and embelish like Boston? That's the problem Canucks apparently have, we are considered divers and whiners when every top team does it most.

The Canucks shouldn't have to dive or embelish for a call to be made, they out play and out compete most teams and come third period one bad call against Van cost them the game. I don't see one or two missed calls against Van but numerous calls, calls that the refs make against them but not for them.

See a call where Henrik hooks one player, but when someone does the same thing to Henrik no call. Inconsistent, not a conspiracy necessarily. Refs are pretty terrible at making consistent calls and it's really noticeable in Van games.

Didn't Gillis whine about the playoff penalty discrepancy a couple years ago?

Talk about pathetic. Whining about penalties/lack of power plays is something losers do.

The Canucks need to stop worrying about the refs and start worrying about playing hard for the puck.

I really like John Garrett, he seems like a really nice man(especially when he talks about junk food on live TV), but this article reeks of homerism, which is not below Mr. Garrett.

If the Canucks were as aggressive on the puck as a team like SJ, they would not be last in the league in powerplays.

Archived