The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Garrison crack team Canada's line up if he continues at this pace?

Noseforthenet

So if Garrison stays at his point pace he will have 57 points, with 13 goals and 44 assists. Combine that with a big body at 6'2" 220 lbs, a canon of a shot (imagine Crosby feeding him, Weber, and Subban with one-timers), safe and efficient efficient puck moving, and a strong defensive play then yeah, he could possibly beat out Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, or Staal for a top 6 left side spot.

That's a big IF though...

Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, Garrison's mobility on international ice would be a bit of a concern.

He's a decent enough skater but he isn't what you would call a smooth-skating defenseman.

Shea Weber also is not a smooth-skating d-man but his other attributes make up for his lack of foot speed.

Looking at all the other potential candidates, you see a common trend: they are all tremendous skaters.

I dunno man. Canada is hyper stacked at every position except goaltending.

Doughty,Keith ,Weber , Pietrangelo, Subban Bouwmeester Phaneuf Seabrook

Maybe Hamhuis makes it.

I agree with the point the OP was making about Team Canada having stronger right side candidates.

Weber, Subban, Seabrook, Pietrangelo, Letang, Poughty.

Left side imo Hamhius is as good as anyone and has a very good shot of making the team along with Keith. Before the season Garrison imo was good enough - but doesn't get the recognition yet that he deserves.

Phaneuf? Give me a break. Bouwmeester? m.k. These guys get invites because of the lack of depth relative to the right side, which I think definitely gives the two Canucks a chance, particularly with an estute GM like Yzerman who I doubt will be wooed by having to appease the fanbase in Toronto.

So if Garrison stays at his point pace he will have 57 points, with 13 goals and 44 assists. Combine that with a big body at 6'2" 220 lbs, a canon of a shot (imagine Crosby feeding him, Weber, and Subban with one-timers), safe and efficient efficient puck moving, and a strong defensive play then yeah, he could possibly beat out Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, or Staal for a top 6 left side spot.

That's a big IF though...

He's also a better skater than some people in this thread realize.

I think he's probably on the outside looking in though, not because he isn't better than the majority of the left side blueliners generally pencilled in over him, but because I think there's a possibility if not probability that Canada will go with 5 right handed blueliners and 3 left.

I don't think Garrison cracks the team and he may not even get consideration. It's awesome how much depth Canada has on D to choose from (which on a side-note, Sweden has a similar "problem" in this regard).

Having said that, I think Garrison is one of the most underrated D-men in the league. I am thrilled he is on the Canucks and it was another outstanding signing by GMMG.

Vlasic is one of the best D-men in the league right now and a big reason the Sharks are playing as well as they are. He makes it ahead of Garrison.

Garrison's +/- isn't too pretty and he's been victimized a few times by fast skaters which is exactly what he'll face on a bigger, more open ice. Team Canada need to load up on fast skaters like Bouwmeester. IMO, they need to focus on who's playing well this season. Keith and Weber may have fantastic resumes, but they haven't been particularly good this season and faster skaters like Subban and Letang would be much better suited to the big ice.

Archived