The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

36 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Anyone drinking whisky tonight?

Just picked up four bottles. Ardbeg Corryvrecken, Kilchoman Sanaig, Caol Ila Stitchell Reserve, and Glenglassaugh Octaves. Opened the Sanaig last night, what a dram! Got it for $75, and for the price it's fantastic! Peat and sweet mix in beautiful harmony. Planning to have another pull tonight.

Edited by Sp3nny
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Just picked up four bottles. Ardbeg Corryvrecken, Kilchoman Sanaig, Caol Ila Stitchell Reserve, and Glenglassaugh Octaves. Opened the Sanaig last night, what a dram! Got it for $75, and for the price it's fantastic! Peat and sweet mix in beautiful harmony. Planning to have another pull tonight.

Nice let me know how the Corryvrecken is I have a Uigeadale I have yet to try.

16 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Nice let me know how the Corryvrecken is I have a Uigeadale I have yet to try.

I've had Corry a few times now, but never owned a bottle. It's fantastic! There is usually a big debate between Corry and Oogie. Oogie is generally viewed as sweeter and smoother vs Corry more like a true Islay and a bit rougher. I've done them back to back a few times, and Corry always wins for me. Both are wonderful drams tho!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

I've had Corry a few times now, but never owned a bottle. It's fantastic! There is usually a big debate between Corry and Oogie. Oogie is generally viewed as sweeter and smoother vs Corry more like a true Islay and a bit rougher. I've done them back to back a few times, and Corry always wins for me. Both are wonderful drams tho!

Corry is like drinking a steak.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Corry is like drinking a steak.

Haha ya that's definitely an apt way to put it. Something about the finish of Corry is what sways me everytime. I like the smoothness of oogie, and the sweet upfront is nice too, and it maintains that's sweetness throughout I find. But the finish to me almost goes a little bitter/peppery? It's lasts forever which is awesome, but it almost loses some of its amazing upfront zest. The Corry just comes in heavy with peat smoke, bacon, meatiness, but as you hold it and it warms up, it gets a bit sweeter,  maybe a little brine/salt/seaweed, and then on finish the smoke and sweet just meld into this wonderful concoction that also lasts forever.

I've been trying to get my hands on a Corry for years now honestly. Finally found one on sale and in stock, so it was a no brainer.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright Gents,

My Dad is coming into town tomorrow night. I don’t get to see him very often. Maybe only a couple times a year.

He likes Single Malt Highland Scotch, but he doesn’t have a favourite kind that I know of. I tried to pry but he didn’t give me much to work with. Any recommendations? 

I don’t mind spending a bit more for a special bottle as long as it’s not a few hundred bucks.

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

30 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Alright Gents,

My Dad is coming into town tomorrow night. I don’t get to see him very often. Maybe only a couple times a year.

He likes Single Malt Highland Scotch, but he doesn’t have a favourite kind that I know of. I tried to pry but he didn’t give me much to work with. Any recommendations? 

I don’t mind spending a bit more for a special bottle as long as it’s not a few hundred bucks.

Oban 14 is a solid, balanced, scotch. I think it's prob $150 at BCL. Lagavulin 16 if he likes the smoke, that's prob around the same price range, maybe a few bucks more.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Oban 14 is a solid, balanced, scotch. I think it's prob $150 at BCL. Lagavulin 16 if he likes the smoke, that's prob around the same price range, maybe a few bucks more.

Thanks for the reply. I know he’s not a Bourbon fan because that’s what I drink mostly, so I’m guessing he’s not into the smoky taste. I’ll look into the local availability of the Oban 14. Cheers!

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Alright Gents,

Dalmore Cigar Malt if you can find it. Usually around $130 or so, but its awesome. Or a Glenglassaugh Torfa. Usually around $90, but its fantastic as well. Both reasonably priced Highlands that I think punch above their price point.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Thanks for the reply. I know he’s not a Bourbon fan because that’s what I drink mostly, so I’m guessing he’s not into the smoky taste. I’ll look into the local availability of the Oban 14. Cheers!

ill trade you for a bourbon recommendation. I'm in my discovery phase of bourbon

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

ill trade you for a bourbon recommendation. I'm in my discovery phase of bourbon

Makers Mark is always a classic and one of my personal favourites, but I’m also really into Buffalo Trace. Out of the two Makers is smoother, but Buffalo Trace has a heavier smoky flavour if you’re into that (which I am). Bulleit is another popular one, however I find the other two mentioned to be superior in both taste and smoothness. Cheers!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

Dalmore Cigar Malt if you can find it. Usually around $130 or so, but its awesome. Or a Glenglassaugh Torfa. Usually around $90, but its fantastic as well. Both reasonably priced Highlands that I think punch above their price point.

Thank you for the recommendations! That’s the kind of intel I’m looking for. Appreciate both of your replies. I’ll scour the local BCL store tomorrow and see which of the 3 that have been mentioned so far that I have to choose from. Cheers!

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The best bang for your buck is Wild Turkey 101.  Taste great neat or on ice and makes a mean old fashioned all for $35. 

Tasting Notes: Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon – bourbonveachdotcom

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Michter's is the bomb. And it's not too outrageously priced.

Michters is amazing. I've had most of their line including the 'Celebration' (5 grand a bottle...lol) when I visited a friend with a very wealthy dad. I wish I could relive that weekend. I think I drank about 4 grand in whisky and checked off so many bucket list drams. I find it hard to spend that much on bourbon due to my Islay addiction but the basic Michters is worth every penny.

Still give me Pappy 20 year over it any day ;) 

21 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Michters is amazing. I've had most of their line including the 'Celebration' (5 grand a bottle...lol) when I visited a friend with a very wealthy dad. I wish I could relive that weekend. I think I drank about 4 grand in whisky and checked off so many bucket list drams. I find it hard to spend that much on bourbon due to my Islay addiction but the basic Michters is worth every penny.

Still give me Pappy 20 year over it any day ;) 

I recently got a bottle of the basic stuff on sale here in Calgary for only $65. And man, can you ever taste the difference between it and the regular, run-of-the-mill brands.