The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] - vancouver interested in matthias?

Tom Sestito

Oh man, just no. I've documented this guys underlying #'s and 'easy' minutes. He's not an upgrade on Richardson. I hope Friedman is wrong.

To be fair this is Florida we're talking about, does anyone have at least decent underlying numbers this season?

Oh man, just no. I've documented this guys underlying #'s and 'easy' minutes. He's not an upgrade on Richardson. I hope Friedman is wrong.

He could step it up being traded to a playoff team (with a lot of former team mates lol), but that could wear off I guess. I think Van should go for it nonetheless.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

_____-Kesler-Schroeder

Higgins-Santorelli-Burrows

Booth-Richardson-Hansen

Could also put Weise in for Schroeder and then bump around the right wingers.

This team really needs a top 6 winger.

Meh.

'No more third liners'.

'No more Florida Panthers'.

Predictable.

I think Matthias is an interesting player.

He surprised people scoring 14 goals in a short season last year.

He only has 4 points in 20 games this year....but not playing big minutes, and he's playing more of a depth/shutdown defensive zone role - getting only 38.8% offensive zone starts, and yet has very good underlying numbers - positive relative (+4.2) and corsi on (+2.1) numbers under the circumstances - and 54,2% offensive zone finishes. So his production may have dipped, but his underlying numbers have improved and are very strong.

His faceoff % doesn't mean a great deal - he's not taking a lot of draws.

He may not be the type of player some folks here can't live without, but could be another pretty good former Panther on the Canucks roster.

Matthias would be a welcomed addition to the team, like I've said over and over again, for us to make some noise in the playoffs, Richardson and Santorelli have to be on our 4th line so we can roll 4 lines.

We still need to make a trade for a game breaker type forward on the top 6 though, and if we have to trade Edler or any of our top 4 defenceman to get that player then so be it.

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Burrows - - Kassian

Higgins - Matthias - Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Santorelli

Agreed, but no Sestito on the 4th, Archibald or Welsh please

Scheroder and Weise for Matthias

Prefer to keep picks.

You can't seriously believe Burrows is a top 6 forward? He is nothing without the Sedin's.

A myth that is worthy of someone's signature.

Take the last full season as an example - 2011/2012

Burrows played 77.4% of his 5 on 5 time with the Sedins.

He produced 63.6.% of his points playing with the Sedins.

By comparison he played 7% of his icetime with Higgins and Kesler but produced 15.2% of his points with them.

In other words, he was more productive playing with Higgins and Kesler.

The fact is he has played the vast majority of the time over the past decade with the Sedins - but for obvious reason.

Aside from being an outstanding two way player who has lent a lot of defensive support to Henrik, he's a puck hound, an excellent cycle player, goes to the hard areas in front of the net, and finishes.

I don't care who you're playing with - 117 goals in a four year span is excellent production regardless. All top line players in the NHL are very talented and play with very talented linemates - the argument that so and so plays with so and so has serious limits.

You can't seriously believe Burrows is a top 6 forward? He is nothing without the Sedin's.

at the very least burrows is a complimentry player... another words he is great with the twins, someone like kesler or even higgins or richardson, but burrows is more than nothing with out the twins....

At this point I'm not convinced that there are many other GMs that will trade with Gillis.

Why do you say that? We haven't traded with Florida since the Booth deal two years ago.

Since then Gillis has made deals with Columbus, Buffalo, Carolina, Anaheim, New Jersey and Dallas.

Other trades in his tenure: San Jose, NY Islanders, Minnesota, Nashville, St Louis, Phoenix, LA, Tampa, Ottawa.

Other than Nonis in Toronto, are there any GMs with reasons not to want to deal with him that you know of?

what do you guys think the price would be for both Matthias and kulikov? Schroeder, sauve and a second? with getting kulikov we could trade edler+ for a top 6 forward.... please MG.

I can't see why they would deal Kulkov - there are very few defensemen in the NHL that are that young, with that much experience and capable of handling the role he does. He's the real deal - can't imagine him being moved without a significant return. Alternatively, would be happy to take Petrovic off their hands...

Santorelli and Richardson are on pace for 20 goals, so they've proven they can play in our top-6 comfortably. Adding a guy like Matthias would really bolster our 3rd line. Here's a look at a good depth lineup (say we trade prospects/picks):

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Santorelli - Kesler - Higgins

Burrows - Matthias - Hansen

Booth - Richardson - Weise/Sestito/Ferriero

Not many teams have a 20 goal scorer as their 4th line center, let alone a former 30 goal scorer as well. That's the sort of depth we need in the playoffs. If, however, Torts wants to load up, here's what we could see:

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Santorelli - Matthias - Higgins

Burrows - Richardson - Hansen

Booth - Dalpe - Kassian

You know what a 3rd line is right? He was shutting down and not in a scoring role. Note how kesler was putting up less points on the 3rd line too until he was put on a scoring line with Demitra and Sundin.

Oh Okay so now that i've back up my statements with facts you're saying a 3rd line is for shutting down other lines? Is that why Burrows was only able to put up 9 points one year because he was too busy shutting down other lines? Kesler was shutting down top lines and putting up 60 points without Sundin. Kesler has proven he can put up and score without the Sedin's, Burrow's has not.

I think we're indifferent. It's not like he can do things that all our other grinders can't do

Matthias would contribute more then weise, welsh or sestito combined

Sedin-Sedin-kassian

Higgins-kesler-burrows

Booth-Mathias-Hansen

Weise-Richardson-santorelli

If u add another top 6 forward and move Higgins to the 3rd line then we are in business... But booth would have to be moved or injured

Or u add a legit 4th line LW and have a 4th line that can play

Archived