The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would we be a better team if we had Shinkaruk in the Lineup?

The Great 8

Please explain... why not?

He got hurt playing the CHL and has been good but not outstanding. I liked what Hunter did in training camp and at teh time thought he deserved a 9 game tryout but really I think the right call was made to send him down. Bo Horvat on the other hand might be nice to have around given our lack of centre depth.

Why is he not ready? Tell me what he needs to work on to be NHL ready.

All I hear from fans is that "he isn't ready" but no one has yet to explain why.

IMO he's just not going to be a better all around hockey player than guys like Chris Higgins. Guys that make the jump as 18 year olds are in the mackinnon Tavares category. They are ready for 82 games in the top six and would out perform a Chris Higgins consistently at 18yrs old. Shinkaruk MIGHT do it but history has shown with guys like Brett Connelly that your average really good player doesn't steal the show 9 times out of 10.. Basically we just have better players for the time being.

I don't doubt we'd ge some great highlights from him but there's a 95% chance he's not going to out score our other guys all year. Those highlights would be too few and far between. Therefore he's better playing 20 minutes plus every single night. Not 20 one night, then 10 on the third line the next and benched periods here and there for the odd mistake... He's being the player he's supposed to be every single night in junior and In time when he's ready to do it consistently, he'll do it in a Canuck uni.

Would he be filling the net right now and keeping us in the win column while the rest of the team sucks? I would say most definitely not.

He would have made a difference but it would have hurt his long-term development. Shinkaruk looked great in the preseason but in the 3rd period of most games he looked exhausted. He definitely needs more conditioning. I think he would have sustained an injury if we played him all season...Don't get me wrong, I still think he should have gotten the 9-game stint but I don't think it's such a bad thing for him to be sent down.

If Shinkaruk got an injury (like Nugent-Hopkins and Hall) did in his first season people would still be calling for MGs head. I'd rather see him do well in the WHL and come up next year. Too bad he got the injury though...it's slowing down his development.

Like I've said many times, the best chance for the Canucks to win would be next year. I believe at least two of Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce and Jensen will be ready to inject some youthful energy into this team.

Shink deserved 9 games. But if he outscored everyone he would have been hard to send down..

The thing I don't like about the 9 game thing is that makes players work super hard in the first games then they coast after. Like RNH who had a hat-trick and many points in his first 9 games then kind of slowed down after. If you do it how we are doing it now the player has to work harder to earn a roster spot and in turn becomes a better and harder working player in the long run.

P.S Why do our most promising prospects always get injured (Bourdon(R.I.P), Hodgson(Back),Shroeder(Always injured).Lack(missed full year) and now Shinkaruk. This team is cursed I swear pisses me off how we can't get any luck.

No question would the Canucks be better by having Shinkaruk AND Horvat as regulars on top six; they were drafted as such.

Games would be more animated, the bottom six would be deeper. And the power of youth would be further served. I do admit that Stanton and Kassian do a good job filling that role.

He's not exactly tearing it up in the jr league with his 5gs. Looks like he's on pace for about 20-25, which is quite a drop from last year and the year before. He's also had a hip injury, which may be affecting his recent play.

I don't think he'd make enough of a difference to have wasted a year of his ELC. Hard to believe he would outscore any of the guys on the second line. Maybe next year.

He's not exactly tearing it up in the jr league with his 5gs. Looks like he's on pace for about 20-25, which is quite a drop from last year and the year before. He's also had a hip injury, which may be affecting his recent play.

I don't think he'd make enough of a difference to have wasted a year of his ELC. Hard to believe he would outscore any of the guys on the second line. Maybe next year.

Sounds like a serious injury. Sounds just like Hodgson's back injury and look how he skates now.

Basically as the Question says do you guys think that if Shinkaruk were to be on the 2LW spot would that boost our offence? I for one think that this team needs a sniper in the top 6 and Shink would've helped and made an impact on our team. Higgins, hansen and burrows are great players but they are not that Pure Scorer that we need in the top 6. I know Shink cant be called up until after his whl season, so that makes me ask the question. If we made the playoffs and still needed some offence to truly contend for the cup would you bring up shinkaruk? I think if we were in the wild card or 3rd in our division i would bring him up. If we were in the top 2 i would leave our team the way it is.

Maybe. Maybe not.

He's okay where he is. Let him grow.

regards,

G.

If you look at Mackinnon for example he is 6'0 182lbs while Shinkaruk is 5'11 181lbs. Not that big of a difference and yet you see Mackinnon play well for his size and age, why cant Shink do that either?

Do really think those numbers are accurate. Shinkaruk is sooo skinny compared to MacKinnon, you can just tell looking at him with a shirt on and how skinny his arms are..

Why do people say we're thin at centre? When we had Henrik Kes and Lappy we almost won the cup. Now we have hank kes santo and Richardson.

I realize kes isn't playing that well ... But to me were a good run from kesler away from having one if the best 1-2 centre punches in the league (again).

Why do people say we're thin at centre? When we had Henrik Kes and Lappy we almost won the cup. Now we have hank kes santo and Richardson.

I realize kes isn't playing that well ... But to me were a good run from kesler away from having one if the best 1-2 centre punches in the league (again).

Yeah except Kesler is now primarily playing wing, which seems to suit his shoot first style of play anyway. He just isnt that good at utilizing his wings, and isnt that good is distibuting the puck. Santorelli is playing well, but he is not a 2nd line C. We are thin at the C.

Archived