The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

Feel sorry for Kassian that Cody will always be his measuring stick as they are so completely different players. I don't think he has to be a top 6 forward for this team to be a success, he just needs to find a second gear. Come playoff time, a big, tough, forward who can score timely goals is worth his weight in gold in the western conference. He kinda reminds me of how Penner was playing when he went to the Kings. If Torts can do a Sutter with this guy and get him to play with passion and grit, it will be worth the wait.

Kassian may not be that bad of a player if he develops more. but he will forever be haunted by comparisons to hodgson. No way is he worth cody hodgson straight up. Big mistake by Gillis.

how many other GMs trade a player who has broken out for an unproven prospect (with both being around the same age)

Kassian may not be that bad of a player if he develops more. but he will forever be haunted by comparisons to hodgson. No way is he worth cody hodgson straight up. Big mistake by Gillis.

how many other GMs trade a player who has broken out for an unproven prospect (with both being around the same age)

Broken what? The 30 point barrier?

People really have to stop putting Hodgson on a high horse. The guy was and still would be a 3rd line center on this team and a soft one at that. I'd much rather have a big fast tough 2way winger than a small slow weak one way center on our 3rd line.

Not impressed. At this point I would not even blink an eye if the Canucks waived Kassian.

Looks like a plug out there every night. Improvement? I just don't see it.

Glad to see that your not our GM.

I'll take another Kassian if he's out there, problem is they are hard to find. Kassian is a very valuable piece of the puzzle. Come playoffs he will be a force.

Remember what Sgt O'neill said about opinions.

We get it, you don't like him and hope he fails. I'll judge the finished product. I won't say he's awesome yet, but I can see what he can become. He's cheep right now too, so there is little to complain about.

Wheres Gross Misconduct these days??? must be serving a Major. lol.

Come Playoffs Kassian is going to be a big piece of the puzzle we will be solving this year. Especially with Torts' training which is nothing but Playoff Style Hockey ALL the time.

I would say he is even further along than a lot of people expected him to be. His defensive game needs tweaking and he is still honing his offensive game but for his age and experience, he has more than proven himself as an NHL player.

For whatever reason he attracts a lot of negative criticism from fans and i'm not sure why, he's a young kid who's learning the game. He fights, he scores, he hits and seems like a good teammate. Can't really think of much to dislike about the guy. I guess if you're someone who really loved Cody Hodgson, then it might be a bit harder to warm up to him.

Glad Kassian is on our side though, he will be one hell of a force in a few years.

Because of the guy we traded him for. Cody was in a stretch of putting up a ton of points the weeks before we traded him, and therefore he was getting alot of praise from the fans. Funny thing is though watching Cody a bit this year I don't think for the slightest Cody is in Buffalo what he was here in Vancouver. Kassian is improving alot, Cody not so much..

He wasn't going to be a top6 c on this team. Hell Santorelli is better than him.

Santorelli has the speed, grit, tenacity and defensive acumen that Hodgson sorely lacks.

Santorelli brings an element the Canucks sorely need. No debate.

Doesn't mean the Canucks have replaced Hodgsons puck possession and passing skills. The team is still looking for a secondary play maker. Its the coaches job to get guys to play within roles that help the team.

The real issue is neither Cody or Kassian plays the game as hard as they should. So how we compliment either of them is sort of a dumb conversation. If either played the game as hard as they should, and for their team, neither would have been traded. Both need a kick in the arse!

Santorelli brings an element the Canucks sorely need. No debate.

Doesn't mean the Canucks have replaced Hodgsons puck possession and passing skills. The team is still looking for a secondary play maker. Its the coaches job to get guys to play within roles that help the team.

The real issue is neither Cody or Kassian plays the game as hard as they should. So how we compliment either of them is sort of a dumb conversation. If either played the game as hard as they should, and for their team, neither would have been traded. Both need a kick in the arse!

mj-laughing.gif.pagespeed.ce.IoizCUdcoZ.gif

Do you even Corsi, bro?

If either played the game as hard as they should, and for their team, neither would have been traded.

Trades are made to address a need. Buffalo needed a center and wanted a younger player ready to step in. We were looking to get bigger and younger. Exactly what Buffalo was willing to move to get their center. Neither was traded because the team had given up on them or they weren't performing. They were traded because both teams had better options for the same role ahead of these two at the time of the trade. Players are simply tradeable assets.

I fully expected Hodgson to be moved in the off-season. With Henrik and Kes ahead of him he was time limited as third line center. The move came sooner because exactly what Gillis was looking for became available at the trade deadline. Buffalo wasn't going to wait because they were still in the playoff hunt and needed a center for the push.

So many baseless arguments here... Let's say, for example, the arguments that involve Cody Hodgson's production numbers this year. Do you guys not realize Hodgson plays on the most offensively challenged team in the league?

How many goals does Buffalo have this year? 66 goals.

How many goals does Chicago have? 145goals.

What's the average? I'm too lazy, but somewhere between 90-100.

So of course Hodgson's numbers will look bad. I even see more baseless arguments like people comparing Hodgson's numbers to Santorelli. This is a Kassian thread.. It is interesting to compare Kassian and Hodgson numbers because we actually swiped these players in a trade. What's the need to compare Hodgson and Santorelli? Makes no sense.

So many baseless arguments here... Let's say, for example, the arguments that involve Cody Hodgson's production numbers this year. Do you guys not realize Hodgson plays on the most offensively challenged team in the league?

How many goals does Buffalo have this year? 66 goals.

How many goals does Chicago have? 145goals.

What's the average? I'm too lazy, but somewhere between 90-100.

So of course Hodgson's numbers will look bad. I even see more baseless arguments like people comparing Hodgson's numbers to Santorelli. This is a Kassian thread.. It is interesting to compare Kassian and Hodgson numbers because we actually swiped these players in a trade. What's the need to compare Hodgson and Santorelli? Makes no sense.

So what you're saying is Hodgson isn't good enough to carry a line, and should be a top line player. Good thing we traded him.

We all want Kassian to be this snarly Lucic type power forward but the reality is that if he continues to play in Vancouver, this will not happen with the culture of this team. Kassian doesn't really have anyone like that to learn from. Lucic learned from Chara, Bertuzzi learned from Messier. The Canucks need to bring in someone Kassian can learn from. When the snarliest players in the dressing room are Bieksa and Kesler...Kassian needs a different role model.

We all want Kassian to be this snarly Lucic type power forward but the reality is that if he continues to play in Vancouver, this will not happen with the culture of this team. Kassian doesn't really have anyone like that to learn from. Lucic learned from Chara, Bertuzzi learned from Messier. The Canucks need to bring in someone Kassian can learn from. When the snarliest players in the dressing room are Bieksa and Kesler...Kassian needs a different role model.

Bring back Bert!

They are not all going to be Todd Bertuzzi. Kassian is a good hockey player with the size we covet. Top line winger? likely not. 2nd line winger? Probably. Would I trade CoHo again for Kassian? YES.

Pretty much the same drum I've been banging but you put it in nicer terms so as not to get the Kassian fans all over you.

Only difference is I'm not convinced he can be 2nd line. Solid 3rd liner, 15-20 goals making some big hits and fighting when needed? Absolutely. If he raises his game to a 25+ goal scorer, power forward I'd be surprised but not shocked. But no way is he gonna be that 1st line, 30+ goal scorer, PP, all-star power forward some expect from him.

Archived