The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Islanders Looking for Top Pair D-man

Trade deadline Edler for Strome and a 1st.

Realistically though. I could see them hunting Nashville hard. Weber would look good. And one could argue that giving up this years first and say Strome could do it. Or even in a pinch giving up Vanek as well and asking for a pick back.

I don't think they go after Weber, he still has a very expensive contract. Unless Wang has decided to commit more money to the team (or feels the revenue bonus from the TV deal is enough) then they'll look for more affordable options.

To those strome+1st proposals.. Am I mistaken or was NYI's only 2014 1st round pick traded to Buffalo? And no team is gonna target their 2015 1st round pick yet.

Why not? It's a gamble on where they finish, but it could also pay off a la Burke/Leafs/Kessel/Bruins where a team gets an unexpectedly high pick after they don't make the playoffs and get bumped up in the lottery. NYI has other issues to fix than just a top pairing D so if they don't address them there's not reason to think they won't underachieve.

the islanders aren't going to be paying someone 52 million dollars in 4 years. Islanders won't take on a huge contract

I mention that above about Weber, but on the flip side there has to be a cutoff point if they really want a top pairing D for how affordable they can go and still get a player they want. Not to mention if a team has a very good young D-man on an affordable contract that could play on the top pair, the Isles would have to pay more to get them.

It's conditional. The Isles can defer the pick to the following draft year.

Which would throw a wrench in any deadline deal unless NYI commits to when the pick in that deal will be used.

I don't think they go after Weber, he still has a very expensive contract. Unless Wang has decided to commit more money to the team (or feels the revenue bonus from the TV deal is enough) then they'll look for more affordable options.

Why not? It's a gamble on where they finish, but it could also pay off a la Burke/Leafs/Kessel/Bruins where a team gets an unexpectedly high pick after they don't make the playoffs and get bumped up in the lottery. NYI has other issues to fix than just a top pairing D so if they don't address them there's not reason to think they won't underachieve.

I mention that above about Weber, but on the flip side there has to be a cutoff point if they really want a top pairing D for how affordable they can go and still get a player they want. Not to mention if a team has a very good young D-man on an affordable contract that could play on the top pair, the Isles would have to pay more to get them.

Which would throw a wrench in any deadline deal unless NYI commits to when the pick in that deal will be used.

Agreed but as it stands the NYI are on the outside looking in. If, for case in point we managed to trade Edler to them for a pick/prospect and that pick being a 1st.

They have the option of giving Buffalo the verification of this or next seasons pick. While we retain their pick. The thing about the NYI is they're perennial duds regardless of how many top 5 picks they've gotten much like Florida. This years pick, could be an outside shot or a very good shot at a top 5. If we could get next years pick, I much prefer my lottery odds at the 1st overall with a team like say NYI as opposed to Detroit.

The Isles are still a team that have at least 1 capable piece via roster or prospect that could help us in almost any area we need to shore up

Since when did Edler become a top pairing dman? according to the clowns at canucks.com he's not even one. So now you guys consider him a top pairing dman in trade requests but during games he's not?

That's how CDC rolls. IMO Edler's trade value is underrated a ton here. Depending on what path we want to go Edler can easily get a top six forward with a prospect or pick, or a B+ prospect and a 1st.

Sigh people Edler isn't going anywhere. NTC, pricy cap hit and shaky play lately makes it very difficult to move him unless he is playing lights out or some team has a major hard on for him. Teams would definitely be interested in Garrison, Hamhuis or Bieksa but none of them are moving either.

Realistically Tanev would be the asset teams target.

IMO:

To NYI

Tanev + forward

To VAN

Okposo

Sigh people Edler isn't going anywhere. NTC, pricy cap hit and shaky play lately makes it very difficult to move him unless he is playing lights out or some team has a major hard on for him. Teams would definitely be interested in Garrison, Hamhuis or Bieksa but none of them are moving either.

Realistically Tanev would be the asset teams target.

IMO:

To NYI

Tanev + forward

To VAN

Okposo

So...a top tier D man isn't even worth a 2nd line player alone?

There is overvaluing our players and overvaluing others. Edler is worth a shade more than a lot of people give him credit for. It is a situation where people forget the historical value of D men in general, let alone top tier D men in the league. Edler is having an off year but his numbers are still very very good barring his point totals and his +/-

Once he is being shopped the offers will pour in because the East needs good solid D in general and the east is where he would thrive again.

:rolleyes::picard:

People should really look up the definition of what an NTC is.

The rest of his post wasn't much better.

No one in the Eastern conference has a half-decent defense and thus most of them are playing like crap. I think there is a chance to capitalize on that and put an Eastern team over a barrel for a quality defender like Edler. But it has to be a hell of a deal or he's not moving, just like what happened before his new contract kicked in. You guys are seriously undervaluing him though.

The rest of his post wasn't much better.

No one in the Eastern conference has a half-decent defense and thus most of them are playing like crap. I think there is a chance to capitalize on that and put an Eastern team over a barrel for a quality defender like Edler. But it has to be a hell of a deal or he's not moving, just like what happened before his new contract kicked in. You guys are seriously undervaluing him though.

Totally agree.

I was actually thinking about how the Islanders, playing as poorly as they are and given that they're moving to Brooklyn after next season, might actually want to support some of that great young talent they have now with some good defencemen. A package including Edler and returning Strome this way should be the goal. Even if we have to throw in another roster player or lesser prospect, this is the type of deal MG needs to get for one of the few remaining valuable trade chips we have.

Trade deadline Edler for Strome and a 1st.

Realistically though. I could see them hunting Nashville hard. Weber would look good. And one could argue that giving up this years first and say Strome could do it. Or even in a pinch giving up Vanek as well and asking for a pick back.

the preds want weber. period. people need to stop dreaming and realizing weber isn't going anywhere. he is nashville until he is old and no good just like iggy is now with the bruins....

the preds want weber. period. people need to stop dreaming and realizing weber isn't going anywhere. he is nashville until he is old and no good just like iggy is now with the bruins....

Uhh...that old and no good Iggy is two points behind Higgins and Garrison, and is way outproducing Kassian.

Archived