The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kanucklehead10

...and no, not quite, but I hear you.

I would say the game had some obvious cathartic value too though, not so much for beating a 'very good team' but for showing what can happen when the tables are turned and it's Boston playing decimated. 6-1 would have been perfect, but I'll take 6-2

Sedin, Torts, and Luo all say it's just another game.

It's great to celebrate, it was a complete win, and don't believe all that cr*p about Boston being injured and sick, the Canucks are missing an all-star defenseman and the key to the 1st line.

But let's not forget last years final game versus Chicago where the Canucks put a beating on the Hawks. Everyone was saying we'd do the same in the Western Finals.

But we first had to get by San Jose, and they were not such a good matchup...

This team has to get by Anaheim, San Jose, L.A. or St Louis before it even gets to the Western Conference and long before it meets up with Boston (?) in the Final.

Nose to the grindstone and lots more work to be done.

Wooooooo!

I was watching the game with a bunch of people who hate hockey but I wouldn't let them change the channel :P

Great game.

A well timed flip out by Torts. Glad the team responded.

So great to see so many players hitting the scoresheet. When Yannik Weber scores and when Tanev scores on a 2 on 1 you know it's a good day in Canucksland!

Marchand is classless and the Bruins were taking the bait today. Glad we made them pay.

Lu was fantastic. Some huge saves. Amazing to think about what could have been had he gotten some run support in the finals....

This team is really starting to come together now. I'm especially encouraged by the forwards usage tonight.

Here's the forwards EVTOI:

Richardson 16:02

Higgins 15:26

Booth 15:13

Santorelli 14:57

Kesler 14:10

Kassian 13:50

Hansen 13:16

Sedin 11:57

Sedin 11:23

Dalpe 9:50

Welsh: 8:59

Weise: 8:50

Of course, Richardson might not be the high minute man (at even strength) if Kesler doesn't pick up a fighting major, and the bottom-six got a few extra shifts once the game moved into blowout territory, but even given those factors, the balance usage, from top-to-bottom, is impressive.

The fourth line, which used to struggle to see five minutes a game, pushed close to the ten minute mark for the second night in a row. The 2nd line (although Higgins-Kesler-Santorelli has been getting called the "first line" lately) and the 3rd line were each used for around 15 minutes. And finally, the twins only needed to play for around 12 minutes (and, with Hansen, combined for 5 points on the night).

Production was spread out nicely among the top-nine (while the fourth line was blanked tonight--I guess they can't score every game).

The Kesler line (and CHiggs and Santo) keeps on rolling. Hopefully the Sedins have bumped the slump and Hansen's lucky goal will get him going as well. And the big story was the third line with Booth and Richardson each making a huge contribution on the night (and playing big minutes in the process).

If this team can roll three deep in scoring lines, and with the fourth line providing the occasional threat, plus the Ds chipping in goals, this group will be a very tough team to play against (and the winning ways should continue for a while).

It was funny earlier today during the call in portion of the pre-game show on Team 1040. Some Cody-cuddler phoned in complaining about how the Canucks were going to miss Hodgson tonight and how they likely wouldn't have the same success this time around that they had in the last game in Boston (where CoHo scored the game winner).

I laughed when I heard that call earlier this afternoon and I laughed again when Booth scored his goal. While Booth's tally wasn't the GWG, it was IMHO the goal that actually won the game for the Canucks. After Booth scored, the momentum shifted into the Canucks' favour and stayed there the rest of the way. Booth's goal was a statement: the Vancouver Canucks would not be denied on this night.

As for that caller on 1040, Booth's goal made another statement: Cody who?

If the Booth we witnessed tonight (and it's been building for the past several games) is an indication of the Booth the Canucks are going to have playing for the rest of the season, then the other top teams in the West need to get ready to move out of the way because the Vancouver Canucks are coming through and we're heading up in the standings.

That's not to say that David Booth is, on his own, going to be the answer. But if the Canucks have the Sedins back playing like the Sedins, Kesler beasting (and his line pumping out scoring), AND Booth finally playing (for Vancouver) like the guy who was Florida's most dangerous player for a couple seasons, then all of a sudden, the Canucks are a team that can compete against anyone and can beat teams in many different ways.

We're starting to see the potential that exists on each of these four lines and from all of the players on this team.

Of course, we're riding a win streak and all streaks come to an end. While they're going, everything looks good.

However, we're also seeing some really great signs:

(1) Kesler is back at the top of his game. Our #2 centre is playing like a guy who'd be a first liner on nearly every team in the NHL.

(2) Santorelli is keeping it going. It's becoming harder and harder to call this merely a hot streak. Looking more and more like a breakout season/career year.

(3) Higgins is (somewhat) quietly putting up first line numbers (among NHL left wingers, he's tied for 19th in points 16th in goals).

(4) The Sedins, even after going through a scoring slump (hopefully now over), are still tied for the 15th most points in the NHL.

(5) Booth is once again skating with speed and power. He's looking comfortable and confident. Maybe, just maybe, the David Booth the Canucks hoped they'd acquired in 2011 has finally arrived in a Vancouver uniform. If that's the case, we'll forgive the delivery delay because getting a full value Booth in this lineup (even two years late) is a complete game-changer.

(6) Richardson is scoring 0.4 points/game. That's bottom-end second line scoring in the NHL (basically elite third line scoring). His two shorties have him tied for the NHL lead in SHGs. He's second only to Kes in forward PK minutes.

(7) Weise is 25th in the entire NHL in even strength points per sixty minutes! Dale Weise!!! He's putting up 2.44 points/60, which is also good for the #1 spot on the Canucks.

That's just the forward group and I'm gonna stop the list at seven (although there are several other positives that could be added). As for the rest of the team, a similar list could be made for the D (likely starting with Tanev's emergence at a legitimate top-four D, Hamhuis getting his game back after a shaky start to the season, and Garrison producing again after going scoreless for that 14 game stretch--Garry is tied for 6th among NHL Ds and has 13 points in his last 11 games) and for the goalies (Lu looking like Canada's #1 and the Stork looking like he's been playing at the NHL level for years--and the Schneider trade looking like MG made the correct call), but this post already rambles quite a bit.

And then there's Torts. :wub:

I definitely didn't expect to fall in love so quickly and so hard. :blush: I was cautiously optimistic about the hiring and I figured he'd be a good coach here but I never expected he'd prove to be exactly what this team needed. Say what you will about Gillis's "re-set" but it's really seeming like Torts did more to change this team (for the better) than a blockbuster trade would have accomplished.

Like the best coaching changes, bringing in Torts has been like trading many of our players for a better version of themselves. There's still a ways to go but we're starting to get a look at what John Tortorella's Vancouver Canucks can accomplish--and it's been pretty impressive.

Anyway, more than enough said for one post.

OK, one last thing (or maybe two).

I've honestly moved past the 2011 Finals but after tonight's game, it's hard not to wonder what one Torts timeout might have meant for the 2011 team. Maybe one of those four losses could have been turned around before things got out of hand.

Also, it's interesting to see what happens when a mostly healthy Canucks team plays a much less healthy Bruins squad (although Boston--both the team and their fans--would never make excuses for why they were so soundly beaten tonight ;) ).

OK, that's it. I'm out.

G'night everyone!

Actually you're wrong.

It was more than that because the Canucks actually took it to the Bruins and showed NO back away. In getting to the playoffs, you have to establish some ground rules and we haven't been successful in the past in letting other teams get away with crap. Tonight was different.

Yeah they played more the way Torts wants them too- with "stiffness" but even he says they have a LONG ways to go against teams like the Bruins RE his post game comments (I advise you go listen before making subjective comments).

I wouldn't be so sure of your celebrating the win as some sort of 'heralded victory' or milestone marker. SImply another game against a good team. Canucks have plenty of more of those left in the regular season.

And the trash talking, etc....games would be awfully boring with your approach. To each his/her own. I happen to be completely emotionally invested in this...hell, if I could I'd go out there myself and cram that ring down Marshrat's throat. So, while I appreciate your opinion, it's just that. Some fans wear their hearts on their sleeves, others flat line.

Fair enough. CDC is a hot bed of emotion. Sometimes annoying. Sometimes irrational.

You guys are so embarrassing.

The BrUINs were on the end of a road trip, had major injuries and frankly they don't care about us.

So what if we won?

We'll never make it back to a SCF and even if we did in a 7 game series, Boston would whoop us.

Don't celebrate empty victories.

Don't much care how many years you've been on the forum or how many posts you've logged without somehow getting banned. If anything counts as trolling, then that comment does. Never heard the phrase never say never? A true Canuck fan may sometimes say never, but never in that way. The 2 points may have this as one of the less significant wins, even in the regular season, but they did what they had to, and looked mighty fine doing it. Now that's a little more like something a Canuck fan might say.

HAHAH Oh man. I recorded the game and I'm watching it back, it's hilarious. With about 12 minutes left you can hear my section (115) chanting "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye!" Some Bruins fan had been a real tool all game and then started yapping at Fin, we started giving it to him and Security was in there pulling him out real fast. They had been eyeing him all game, the guy was a total dick.

Also, it's interesting to see what happens when a mostly healthy Canucks team plays a much less healthy Bruins squad (although Boston--both the team and their fans--would never make excuses for why they were so soundly beaten tonight ;) ).

OK, that's it. I'm out.

G'night everyone!

Exactly. Take the win, bag the points, and on to the next game. Cheers!

Marchand is full of crap/crap people...heard he said something he did the taunting in response to Kesler or something...he did it before the game during pregame skate/warmup, again later when Hank was on who laughed it off, then when Kes was on...joke is on you...if you wanna live in the past and are satisfied with a Cup, might as well retire and stop playing stupid.

He also pretended to trip Luongo when he was coming out in the second and said something to him.

HAHAH Oh man. I recorded the game and I'm watching it back, it's hilarious. With about 12 minutes left you can hear my section (115) chanting "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye!" Some Bruins fan had been a real tool all game and then started yapping at Fin, we started giving it to him and Security was in there pulling him out real fast. They had been eyeing him all game, the guy was a total dick.

I was in 111!

EDIT: I remember seeing the security in your section get to work actually. Me and my pa had a good laugh.

You guys are so embarrassing.

The BrUINs were on the end of a road trip, had major injuries and frankly they don't care about us.

So what if we won?

We'll never make it back to a SCF and even if we did in a 7 game series, Boston would whoop us.

Don't celebrate empty victories.

At least the Canucks know how to win a playoff series against the Hawks.

Nobody awarded the Stanley Cup tonight but those of you criticizing the fans here for enjoying the result of the game are a bunch of buzzkills.

29 teams don't win the Cup every season. There are other aspects of the game that make watching it worthwhile. If you can't derive any enjoyment from it, then that's your problem.

I was in 111!

EDIT: I remember seeing the security in your section get to work actually. Me and my pa had a good laugh.

There was a little cluster of Bruins fans that were just being total a-holes all night, but this one guy in particular was all over the place. By the third he was clearly hammered and started yelling at Fin, dropping all sorts of obscenities and security finally had enough of him. He had already been warned a couple times earlier in the game, and security was down at the bottom of the steps just staring him down almost every ad break. It was hilarious.

Archived