The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kanucklehead10

Hey guys, I hate the Bruins just as much as you do but their whole team was coming off the flu, they were not at 100% who knows what the outcome could have been if they were healthy? or if they had Shawn Thornton was in the line up and us without Sestito? we would be screwed if he started a fight

Who cares what if this/that? What if our lineup was healthy against them in the run? What if the refs did a decent job?

We won, fairly convincingly. We manhandled them right back. Excuses...that's what people call them when we use them. So that shoe now fits for these guys. Don't rain on this parade..this is a step in the right direction and our bench has had the flu during playoffs, but no one cared then so we don' care now.

(Well said, Maniwaki. Agree with everything you've posted)

And Sid's comment - well said. This part really rings true:

"Say what you will about Gillis's "re-set" but it's really seeming like Torts did more to change this team (for the better) than a blockbuster trade would have accomplished.

Like the best coaching changes, bringing in Torts has been like trading many of our players for a better version of themselves. There's still a ways to go but we're starting to get a look at what John Tortorella's Vancouver Canucks can accomplish--and it's been pretty impressive."

People don't realize what a huge mental blow/setback losing that series as we did was. I don't know that they got the reassurance/belief afterward that they could be better, have done better. I think they just stuck with "failure" for awhile and the mental mindset has been huge. Torts fully believes in these guys - in their talent, in their abilities. I don't know that they believed they could anymore after that devastating loss.

You can see it, he pushes this team hard because he knows they are capable of it - of more. That's a huge deal...for them to feel that they CAN do more, rather than just settle for "we gave it our best".

I liked Torts from the start....like his passion and investment into the game. Like that he pulls no punches and is a what you see is what you get guy. Liked how he interacted with the players (focused a LOT on Burr/Kes) during the preseason camp/scrimmages.

He didn't "observe" the team, he worked with them right down there at ice level. Not that AV didn't - but I believe he ran out of answers and things to say to the group. Torts is extracting the very best out of these guys by demanding it...by telling them they can do what he's asking. He isn't allowing for them to simply say "we tried". When they do, he tells them how to adjust to get better results. When he sees that they didn't fully commit, he rips on them and calls them out. Keeps things in check with careful evaluations and observations. Time outs are provided for a reason...to regroup and for the coach to intervene and see deficiencies that need to be addressed here and now. Not in wondering after the fact. We saw, firsthand, how that worked. He reminded the guys, in a pretty firm, clear, concise way to go through the Bruins, not reach through them (with their sticks). And it clicked and produced immediate results.

Although he did stand by with patience when they were doing many of things right but not getting the results...he's also providing answers and feedback. And, when necessary, driving these guys hard when he sees them checking out. Waking them up. He talks of the stiffness of teams and is addressing that element, in giving the guys the ok to battle back.

Such a big deal this guy is. I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket, but Torts is making a difference...a very big one.

Yeah they played more the way Torts wants them too- with "stiffness" but even he says they have a LONG ways to go against teams like the Bruins RE his post game comments (I advise you go listen before making subjective comments). :blink:

I wouldn't be so sure of your celebrating the win as some sort of 'heralded victory' or milestone marker. SImply another game against a good team. Canucks have plenty of more of those left in the regular season.

Fair enough. CDC is a hot bed of emotion. Sometimes annoying. Sometimes irrational.

I did listen. Did you hear the part where he said the emotion was there pre game and he didn't feel the need to address the guys being "in" the game as a result?

And I didn't hear "a long way".

All of our comments are "subjective" here, including yours. And I listen to EVERY single sound byte...long after the game ends. I have 1040 on during my ride to/from work and watch the News/sports (only) on TV. You won't find anyone (on Earth) who takes in more than I do, long before the puck drops and after the zamboni cleans the ice at the end of the game. So your comment about me is rather "subjective". You won't find someone who absorbs it more than I do...attended 2 full days of camp - was there at 7 am and left when it ended. Pre season games aren't even ever missed by me (haven't missed watching a game in ?? years). Pretty committed to this deal, so my "subjective" comments are also fairly informed. I'm in this.

The guys throw out these responses but I don't believe for a MINUTE that there wasn't a little extra oomph out there because of who we were playing. I've learned that those interviews are fairly scripted and you won't get the emotion coming through as a result. Doesn't mean it isn't there...I'm convinced it is/was. Look beyond that few seconds in front of the mic. Their jump said it all. When Kes readily dropped those gloves and got guys in headlocks, that spoke volumes and went beyond the words. Hammy? Yeah, I'm sure it was just another game but I saw something different...something more. Maybe you missed it? Booth driving down the ice like he did. This game is how we have to play and the opponents brought beast mode out. It's only one game if they play it like that....if they drop this guard and don't take every opponent this way. But it definitely is (as is Chicago and other teams that battle us hard and have given us problems), a game worthy of more than what you've made of it.

Irrational? Annoying? "Subjective" (I find those who sit back and observe, not only the game but other fans, a little annoying in a holier than thou way. Loosen up/have some fun with it. It's not something clinical...it's rock em sock em hockey for crying out loud). Fans who tell us to sit down after goals....but we're all different and you may be more casual and reserved about it all, I'm anything but. I don't watch the game, I feel it.

I have friends who paid $260/each to attend this game (if I didn't have a family to feed at Christmas, I'd be right there beside them on the glass)....we live, breathe and die with this team. So not "irrational"...."invested". Passionate. And that's ok. You're not and that's ok too....but hockey sounds a little boring at your place so I'll stay home and be "all in", as I'm confident the team was. Doesn't make your way of watching the game the "right" way. Just right for you.

This game wasn't a milestone or anything to "celebrate" beyond last night - you're right there. Now that it's all said and done - yes, moving on/neeext. This is actually a concern that I presented to someone in conversation....that this win poses risk of the guys "admiring" it and they can't let their guard down. They can't stop to smell the roses of this game for too long. One game, with many more to get ready for. So, from that angle - yes...just another game. But it was a moral victory. Let's delve beyond hockey to self esteem and psychological issues...when someone's beaten you down, humiliated you and you come back to stand in their face and tell them "NO", it is a victory. Sure, on the score sheet it's just two points for this game, but for these guys there's something in putting these clowns in their place. In their building. In the emotionally draining mental battle that the guys have gone through since that series loss - it is huge. These are all steps for this team to become "whole" again. Powerful and strong again. That series broke them (down) and these small, moral victories are helping to strengthen the team. To shed any doubt. To remind them of who they are. You just look at the surface, I look beyond that. The Bruins bullied them...ran over them. And now they're going back at them and making them look small. It's empowering. Not just take the 2 points and go. There WAS more to this game, even if not for you.

Torts will cover that end of things - have them remember that it was "just one game", so I need not worry (and can "celebrate" a good win). But I know that boosted them more than "any other game". You don't see it from that angle I guess. I get your point...that they can't just pack it in because "they win" (this one game). I'm not worried about that...they have a guy who'll keep it in check.

You look at the big picture in this...that's ok, but what's the point really? If you ONLY celebrate the cup, you won't be having much fun through this thing we call hockey. I have/do - I celebrate the wins along the way - this one's no different. Oh wait, yes it is...because it's a team I despise with cocky showboaters like Marshrat. You're no better (informed) than I am in this - different, more even keeled, but I offset that "suit" mentality with my wild and crazy enthusiasm. I'm ok with that even if you're not. It's my deal, not yours.

I'm long winded, but when I'm called out with the rest of this fanbase I can't hold it in. Don't rain on our parade. It's like saying we can't have Hallowe'en or Thanksgiving because Christmas is coming and we have to save it all for that.

You sit back and wait for the "big" win but, in doing so, you're missing a lot of celebration along the way. I celebrate "the game"...not just the big party at the end of it all. I bleed with the team over losses and celebrate the wins. That's why I watch....for the process. The season. The journey, not just the outcome. I get a lot out of that deal.

You may shortchange yourself along the way if you're holding it all in for the big show - may not even get there. I'm having fun along the drive, nothing irrational about that. Annoying? - yep, maybe. Don't care. I'm in this for me, not you. :)

I did listen. Did you hear the part where he said the emotion was there pre game and he didn't feel the need to address the guys being "in" the game as a result?

All of our comments are "subjective" here, including yours. And I listen to EVERY single sound byte...long after the game ends. I have 1040 on during my ride to/from work and watch the News/sports (only) on TV. So your comment about me is rather "subjective". You won't find someone who absorbs it more than I do...attended 2 full days of camp - was there at 7 am and left when it ended. Pre season games aren't even ever missed by me (haven't missed watching a game in ?? years). Pretty committed to this deal, so my "subjective" comments are also fairly informed.

The guys throw out these responses but I don't believe for a MINUTE that there wasn't a little extra oomph out there because of who we were playing. I've learned that those interviews are fairly scripted and you won't get what the emotion coming through as a result. Doesn't mean it isn't there...I'm convinced it is/was.

Irrational? Annoying? Really? Subjective (I find those who sit back and observe, not only the game but other fans a little so. Loosen up/have some fun with it. It's not something clinical...it's rock em sock em hockey for crying out loud).

I have friends who paid $260/each to attend this game (if I didn't have a family to feed at Christmas, I'd be right there beside them on the glass)....we live, breathe and die with this team. So not "irrational"...."invested". Passionate. And that's ok. You're not and that's ok too....but hockey sounds a little boring at your place so I'll stay home and be "all in", as I'm confident the team was. Doesn't make your way of watching the game the "right" way. Just right for you.

This game wasn't a milestone or anything to "celebrate" beyond last night...this is actually a concern that I presented to someone in conversation....that this win poses risk of the guys "admiring" it and they can't let their guard down. One game, with many more to get ready for. But I know Torts will cover that end of things, so I need not worry (and can "celebrate" a good win). You don't - and that's ok but, again, what's the point then? If you ONLY celebrate the cup, you won't be having much fun through this thing we call hockey. I have/do - I celebrate the wins along the way - this one's no different. Oh wait, yes it is...because it's a team I despise with cocky showboaters like Marshrat and who have been seen to have a little favoritism on their side (not just against us - it's a league wide things at times). You're no better (informed) than I am in this - different, more even keeled, but I offset that "suit" mentality with my wild and crazy enthusiasm. I'm ok with that.

I'm long winded, but feel this strongly when I'm called out with the rest of this fanbase.

You sit back and wait for the "big" win but, in doing so, you're missing a lot of celebration along the way. I celebrate "the game"...not just the big party at the end of it all. I bleed with the team over losses and celebrate the wins. That's why I watch....for the process. The season. You may shortchange yourself along the way if you're holding it all in for the big show. May not even get there but I'm having some fun on the drive. Along the way. Nothing irrational about that. Annoying? - whatever, don't care. I'm in this for me, not you. :)

I don't see why it bothers him so much. You credit him as even keeled but I dispute that. He's obviously passionate about deflating everyones tires.

Oh noes, we spanked the Bruins! Can't cheer about that!

Seriously, what is the agenda of being pissed off at fans enjoying a win?

All of our comments are "subjective" here, including yours. And I listen to EVERY single sound byte...long after the game ends. I have 1040 on during my ride to/from work and watch the News/sports (only) on TV. You won't find anyone (on Earth) who takes in more than I do, long before the puck drops and after the zamboni cleans the ice at the end of the game. So your comment about me is rather "subjective". You won't find someone who absorbs it more than I do...attended 2 full days of camp - was there at 7 am and left when it ended. Pre season games aren't even ever missed by me (haven't missed watching a game in ?? years). Pretty committed to this deal, so my "subjective" comments are also fairly informed. I'm in this.

The guys throw out these responses but I don't believe for a MINUTE that there wasn't a little extra oomph out there because of who we were playing. I've learned that those interviews are fairly scripted and you won't get the emotion coming through as a result. Doesn't mean it isn't there...I'm convinced it is/was. Look beyond that few seconds in front of the mic. Their jump said it all. When Kes readily dropped those gloves and got guys in headlocks, that spoke volumes and went beyond the words. Hammy? Yeah, I'm sure it was just another game but I saw something different...something more. Maybe you missed it? Booth driving down the ice like he did. This game is how we have to play and the opponents brought beast mode out. It's only one game if they play it like that....if they drop this guard and don't take every opponent this way. But it definitely is (as is Chicago and other teams that battle us hard and have given us problems), a game worthy of more than what you've made of it.

Irrational? Annoying? "Subjective" (I find those who sit back and observe, not only the game but other fans, a little annoying in a holier than thou way. Loosen up/have some fun with it. It's not something clinical...it's rock em sock em hockey for crying out loud). Fans who tell us to sit down after goals....but we're all different and you may be more casual and reserved about it all, I'm anything but. I don't watch the game, I feel it.

This game wasn't a milestone or anything to "celebrate" beyond last night...this is actually a concern that I presented to someone in conversation....that this win poses risk of the guys "admiring" it and they can't let their guard down. One game, with many more to get ready for. So, from that angle - yes...just another game. But it was a moral victory. Let's delve beyond hockey to self esteem and psychological issues...when someone's beaten you down, humiliated you and you come back to stand in their face and tell them "NO", it is a victory. It's empowering. Sure, on the scoresheet it's just two points. In this emotionally draining, mental battle and rebuilding since that series lost - it's huge. These are all steps for this team to become "whole" again. Powerful and strong again. That series broke them (down) and these small, moral victories are helping to strengthen the team. To remind them of who they are. You just look at the surface, I look beyond that.

Torts will cover that end of things - have them remember that it was "just one game", so I need not worry (and can "celebrate" a good win). But I know that boosted them more than "any other game". You don't see it from that angle I guess.

And you look only at the big picture in this...that's ok, but what's the point really? If you ONLY celebrate the cup, you won't be having much fun through this thing we call hockey. I have/do - I celebrate the wins along the way - this one's no different. Oh wait, yes it is...because it's a team I despise with cocky showboaters like Marshrat. You're no better (informed) than I am in this - different, more even keeled, but I offset that "suit" mentality with my wild and crazy enthusiasm. I'm ok with that even if you're not. It's my deal, not yours.

I'm long winded, but feel this strongly when I'm called out with the rest of this fanbase. Don't rain on our parade. It's like saying we can't have Hallowe'en or Thanksgiving because Christmas is coming and we have to save it all for that.

You sit back and wait for the "big" win but, in doing so, you're missing a lot of celebration along the way. I celebrate "the game"...not just the big party at the end of it all. I bleed with the team over losses and celebrate the wins. That's why I watch....for the process. The season. The journey, not just the outcome. I get a lot out of that deal.

You may shortchange yourself along the way if you're holding it all in for the big show - may not even get there. I'm having fun along the drive, nothing irrational about that. Annoying? - yep, maybe. Don't care. I'm in this for me, not you. :)

That's exactly what I was trying to type but only wanted to do it in less than three sentences. I'm with you all the way . The emotional highs and lows of being a die hard fan is what I watch hockey for. And I could care less what people think and say about it. Cause when and if we win the big one in my lifetime. I will make sure the guy behind me at the Rog will have to get on his feet because I'll be standing the whole time.

I agree TW (& SM). Was hard for me to hold that in...tried, but kept editing/adding to it because I feel strongly about it. Thank you for doing what I couldn't. :)

If this guy DID watch the post game, during the interview the music was CRANKED in that dressing room. The guys were celebrating harder than usual for this win...they're just not letting on about it. Sure, they'll keep it in context/check, but this game was a statement.

I do apologize for the wall of text...workin' on that. ;)

I don't see why it bothers him so much. You credit him as even keeled but I dispute that. He's obviously passionate about deflating everyones tires.

Oh noes, we spanked the Bruins! Can't cheer about that!

Seriously, what is the agenda of being pissed off at fans enjoying a win?

It is all about empowerment. Instead of talking about the win and high fiving or whatever means we use to celebrate we are arguing with someone who sees the journey as nothing but a means to an end...... boring

why wouldn't I? sometimes there are bigger goals like making the playoffs than over-celebrating a win. Seems like the same approach I would take.

For serious? I answered that in the very post you quoted. Not a long answer but you might want to give it some thought, o even keel killjoy-headedness.

Stock response. And you believe that?

You guys are so embarrassing.

The BrUINs were on the end of a road trip, had major injuries and frankly they don't care about us.

So what if we won?

We'll never make it back to a SCF and even if we did in a 7 game series, Boston would whoop us.

Don't celebrate empty victories.

Something smells like a butthurt Bruins fan, not saying anyone or anything in particular *cough* this guy I quoted *cough*

BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK! BRUINS SUCK!

Yep. They are pathetic. Hope Edler is back for the next game and just absolutely end that little rat marchands career.

Call me classless I don't care. I hate Marchand like no other and he's a classless pig like Duncan Keith

Great time-out by Torts, not just for timing but content :)

While Boston had injuries so did the Canucks.

Marchand's ring kissing was funny the first time but not by the fourth time.

The re-match in Boston will be worth watching, win or lose. May see them again in the play-offs

If the east was more competitive, Boston might've tried harder last night. The Canucks need to scramble for every point they can get.

Not pouring sand on the big win, but context explains certain things.

Chara was freakin' awful. As well as Krejci. Worst games i've seen those two play. Hey maybe they're just getting worse, but maybe this was a one-game thing. We'll see.

Our lineup has looked a lot better as of late. Gettin' results.

Archived