The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kanucklehead10

You guys are so embarrassing.

The BrUINs were on the end of a road trip, had major injuries and frankly they don't care about us.

So what if we won?

We'll never make it back to a SCF and even if we did in a 7 game series, Boston would whoop us.

Don't celebrate empty victories.

Wow. Must suck to have to cheer for a team you have lost all hope of ever winning anything.

You guys are so embarrassing.

The BrUINs were on the end of a road trip, had major injuries and frankly they don't care about us.

So what if we won?

We'll never make it back to a SCF and even if we did in a 7 game series, Boston would whoop us.

Don't celebrate empty victories.

Ho hum.......Our boys handed the big bad Bruins their butts tonight just as they were leaving our town.

Great win and statement by this year's team.

Injuries be damned, what about our injuries during the SCF. Are they offering to replay the series. Not in a pigs ear.

By the way, we have injuries as well Edler and Burrows and we won without them so what is your point. Stop making lame excuses for them you are embarrassing yourself.

There was a little cluster of Bruins fans that were just being total a-holes all night, but this one guy in particular was all over the place. By the third he was clearly hammered and started yelling at Fin, dropping all sorts of obscenities and security finally had enough of him. He had already been warned a couple times earlier in the game, and security was down at the bottom of the steps just staring him down almost every ad break. It was hilarious.

I often wonder how guys like that get so hammered and are still served alcohol. Do they have to start a fight before security realizes they should have been removed long before things got heated.

This team is really starting to come together now. I'm especially encouraged by the forwards usage tonight.

Here's the forwards EVTOI:

Richardson 16:02

Higgins 15:26

Booth 15:13

Santorelli 14:57

Kesler 14:10

Kassian 13:50

Hansen 13:16

Sedin 11:57

Sedin 11:23

Dalpe 9:50

Welsh: 8:59

Weise: 8:50

Of course, Richardson might not be the high minute man (at even strength) if Kesler doesn't pick up a fighting major, and the bottom-six got a few extra shifts once the game moved into blowout territory, but even given those factors, the balance usage, from top-to-bottom, is impressive.

The fourth line, which used to struggle to see five minutes a game, pushed close to the ten minute mark for the second night in a row. The 2nd line (although Higgins-Kesler-Santorelli has been getting called the "first line" lately) and the 3rd line were each used for around 15 minutes. And finally, the twins only needed to play for around 12 minutes (and, with Hansen, combined for 5 points on the night).

Production was spread out nicely among the top-nine (while the fourth line was blanked tonight--I guess they can't score every game).

The Kesler line (and CHiggs and Santo) keeps on rolling. Hopefully the Sedins have bumped the slump and Hansen's lucky goal will get him going as well. And the big story was the third line with Booth and Richardson each making a huge contribution on the night (and playing big minutes in the process).

If this team can roll three deep in scoring lines, and with the fourth line providing the occasional threat, plus the Ds chipping in goals, this group will be a very tough team to play against (and the winning ways should continue for a while).

It was funny earlier today during the call in portion of the pre-game show on Team 1040. Some Cody-cuddler phoned in complaining about how the Canucks were going to miss Hodgson tonight and how they likely wouldn't have the same success this time around that they had in the last game in Boston (where CoHo scored the game winner).

I laughed when I heard that call earlier this afternoon and I laughed again when Booth scored his goal. While Booth's tally wasn't the GWG, it was IMHO the goal that actually won the game for the Canucks. After Booth scored, the momentum shifted into the Canucks' favour and stayed there the rest of the way. Booth's goal was a statement: the Vancouver Canucks would not be denied on this night.

As for that caller on 1040, Booth's goal made another statement: Cody who?

If the Booth we witnessed tonight (and it's been building for the past several games) is an indication of the Booth the Canucks are going to have playing for the rest of the season, then the other top teams in the West need to get ready to move out of the way because the Vancouver Canucks are coming through and we're heading up in the standings.

That's not to say that David Booth is, on his own, going to be the answer. But if the Canucks have the Sedins back playing like the Sedins, Kesler beasting (and his line pumping out scoring), AND Booth finally playing (for Vancouver) like the guy who was Florida's most dangerous player for a couple seasons, then all of a sudden, the Canucks are a team that can compete against anyone and can beat teams in many different ways.

We're starting to see the potential that exists on each of these four lines and from all of the players on this team.

Of course, we're riding a win streak and all streaks come to an end. While they're going, everything looks good.

However, we're also seeing some really great signs:

(1) Kesler is back at the top of his game. Our #2 centre is playing like a guy who'd be a first liner on nearly every team in the NHL.

(2) Santorelli is keeping it going. It's becoming harder and harder to call this merely a hot streak. Looking more and more like a breakout season/career year.

(3) Higgins is (somewhat) quietly putting up first line numbers (among NHL left wingers, he's tied for 19th in points 16th in goals).

(4) The Sedins, even after going through a scoring slump (hopefully now over), are still tied for the 15th most points in the NHL.

(5) Booth is once again skating with speed and power. He's looking comfortable and confident. Maybe, just maybe, the David Booth the Canucks hoped they'd acquired in 2011 has finally arrived in a Vancouver uniform. If that's the case, we'll forgive the delivery delay because getting a full value Booth in this lineup (even two years late) is a complete game-changer.

(6) Richardson is scoring 0.4 points/game. That's bottom-end second line scoring in the NHL (basically elite third line scoring). His two shorties have him tied for the NHL lead in SHGs. He's second only to Kes in forward PK minutes.

(7) Weise is 25th in the entire NHL in even strength points per sixty minutes! Dale Weise!!! He's putting up 2.44 points/60, which is also good for the #1 spot on the Canucks.

That's just the forward group and I'm gonna stop the list at seven (although there are several other positives that could be added). As for the rest of the team, a similar list could be made for the D (likely starting with Tanev's emergence at a legitimate top-four D, Hamhuis getting his game back after a shaky start to the season, and Garrison producing again after going scoreless for that 14 game stretch--Garry is tied for 6th among NHL Ds and has 13 points in his last 11 games) and for the goalies (Lu looking like Canada's #1 and the Stork looking like he's been playing at the NHL level for years--and the Schneider trade looking like MG made the correct call), but this post already rambles quite a bit.

And then there's Torts. :wub:

I definitely didn't expect to fall in love so quickly and so hard. :blush: I was cautiously optimistic about the hiring and I figured he'd be a good coach here but I never expected he'd prove to be exactly what this team needed. Say what you will about Gillis's "re-set" but it's really seeming like Torts did more to change this team (for the better) than a blockbuster trade would have accomplished.

Like the best coaching changes, bringing in Torts has been like trading many of our players for a better version of themselves. There's still a ways to go but we're starting to get a look at what John Tortorella's Vancouver Canucks can accomplish--and it's been pretty impressive.

Anyway, more than enough said for one post.

OK, one last thing (or maybe two).

I've honestly moved past the 2011 Finals but after tonight's game, it's hard not to wonder what one Torts timeout might have meant for the 2011 team. Maybe one of those four losses could have been turned around before things got out of hand.

Also, it's interesting to see what happens when a mostly healthy Canucks team plays a much less healthy Bruins squad (although Boston--both the team and their fans--would never make excuses for why they were so soundly beaten tonight ;) ).

OK, that's it. I'm out.

G'night everyone!

Enjoyed the post SID and +1

Great win for our boys. All the lines played really well. The response by Torts was timed just right. Get on the boys right away when it is the most effective, not during the presser after the game. Keep the pedal to the metal for 60 minutes attitude. Solid coaching in my opinion. Good job Torts.

Didn't have the time to watch it live, and had to watch the it on Game Center and just finished it.

What a game! What an effort! Beautiful goals all of them!

Thank you, Canucks!

PS

In this internet era, it's very difficult to avoid seeing the result by mistake, if you don't see a sports venue live. Results on your mobile locked screen, browser homepage set to hockey, Tv on the wrong channel, someone texting you etc... Not nice :)

Booth's goal was absolutely huge- definitely the turning point. Without it, Torts' time-out doesn't mean so much. I think Booth will not get bought out like everyone has been saying. When he plays like this, he's a force.

Santorelli was also amazing: not just the Tanev set-up, but the consistent puck-hounding and going to the net against a tough team like Boston. There's no fear in his game and something contagious about the way he plays.

Lou had a great game. We were outshot and Boston had plenty of chances. The difference in this game was goaltending and finishing. From a possession point of view, we could have lost. Lou deserves lots of credit for this result.

Weber played a really solid defensive game and showed what a weapon his shot is. I'm hoping he's got Torts' attention now, and that we see more of him from here on in.

But the whole team was great really. We hit just the right balance of emotion, physicality, pushing back, with skill and skating. We didn't beat these thugs at their own game, but didn't backk away from it either. That's right where we need to be.

Booth's goal was absolutely huge- definitely the turning point. Without it, Torts' time-out doesn't mean so much. I think Booth will not get bought out like everyone has been saying. When he plays like this, he's a force.

Santorelli was also amazing: not just the Tanev set-up, but the consistent puck-hounding and going to the net against a tough team like Boston. There's no fear in his game and something contagious about the way he plays.

Lou had a great game. We were outshot and Boston had plenty of chances. The difference in this game was goaltending and finishing. From a possession point of view, we could have lost. Lou deserves lots of credit for this result.

Weber played a really solid defensive game and showed what a weapon his shot is. I'm hoping he's got Torts' attention now, and that we see more of him from here on in.

But the whole team was great really. We hit just the right balance of emotion, physicality, pushing back, with skill and skating. We didn't beat these thugs at their own game, but didn't backk away from it either. That's right where we need to be.

Yup.

Really liked to see Hamhuis going after Iginla. Hamhuis! Torts said in a recent interview that guys will have to step outside of their comfort zone and Dan sure did. Maybe soon we will see a twin give someone a Courtnall facewash?

Archived