The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Canucks put Zach Hamill on Waivers for buyout.

AriGold

Dalpe made Hamill expendable.

At least this frees up a contract for us since I believe we're still close to the limit.

Might make a deadline deal more possible, or if not I would say Rodin deserves another shot for next season.

We currently have one free roster spot, so without Hamill, we'd have two.

MG was pretty crafty - knowing the state that the market would be in - and that teams would be needing to send some players through the waiver wire to trim their rosters.

He jumped on Stanton when the majority of the league either whiffed or did not have the roster spot available.

He managed to lowball for Dalpe and Welsh because Dalpe would be subject to waivers and be Welsh's carried a slightly heavier cap hit than most ELCs having been a college free agent signing.

They certainly maximized their returns this summer imo.

Almost cleaned out the house in Vegas, just pulling on one-arm bandits, & betting loons.

Meanwhile Nonis was pulling his goalie, in a blissful, self-congratulatory FA premature-evaluation.

What if Dalpe, Welsh, Stanton & Santorelli turned out duds?..OH WELL! That's a whole two mill goin' nowhere..Try again with some eager farm-hands.

On the OTHER HAND..what if a SEVEN YEAR contract x 5.25 MILLION turns out a DUD?! Let's all read the papers/hockey websites & find out, shall we?!

Gotta love the karma-with the eastern media(especially couz' Dregs of society) trashing our top gt(signed to a smart deal), supposedly due to the SAME CAP-HIT as DC!(Mastercard priceless)

Almost cleaned out the house in Vegas, just pulling on one-arm bandits, & betting loons.

Meanwhile Nonis was pulling his goalie, in a blissful, self-congratulatory FA premature-evaluation.

What if Dalpe, Welsh, Stanton & Santorelli turned out duds?..OH WELL! That's a whole two mill goin' nowhere..Try again with some eager farm-hands.

On the OTHER HAND..what if a SEVEN YEAR contract x 5.25 MILLION turns out a DUD?! Let's all read the papers/hockey websites & find out, shall we?!

Gotta love the karma-with the eastern media(especially couz' Dregs of society) trashing our top gt(signed to a smart deal), supposedly due to the SAME CAP-HIT as DC!(Mastercard priceless)

:excl:

What with all the politics(media/league-bs), ownership squabble(& subsequent acrimony when BB bet on the wrong horse), CBC Van-bashing(Healey, MacLean, et al..) I have to confess to taking a certain pleasure from the likely pending, Leafer-nosedive. It's almost as much fun as enjoying our squad's success. Love our GM's coolness, when contrasted with the obnoxious blowhard(& his poodle-lackey/successor).

Hamill and Ferriero deserve a chance at the NHL level. They've both been there before and have performed reasonably in their short stints. Ferriero was on San Jose's third line for most parts of a couple of seasons ago, and Hamill has been bad for his hype but this season in the AHL he's lighting it up on a terrible team. Honestly for our next game I'd rather see this lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Santorelli - Kesler - Higgins

Kassian - Richardson - Booth

Weise - Hamill - Ferriero

Yes Dalpe and Welsh have been alright but they haven't brought any offence to the table. These two guys are lead scorers at the AHL leve right now and have proven they can score goals at the NHL level - something Dalpe and Welsh didn't do. They didn't even get a call up or a chance which I think is a bit unfair. If it was due to entry waivers or something like that then fair enough, but they're far better players than Welsh, Dalpe, Sestito and maybe even Weise.

Hamill and Ferriero deserve a chance at the NHL level. They've both been there before and have performed reasonably in their short stints. Ferriero was on San Jose's third line for most parts of a couple of seasons ago, and Hamill has been bad for his hype but this season in the AHL he's lighting it up on a terrible team. Honestly for our next game I'd rather see this lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Santorelli - Kesler - Higgins

Kassian - Richardson - Booth

Weise - Hamill - Ferriero

Yes Dalpe and Welsh have been alright but they haven't brought any offence to the table. These two guys are lead scorers at the AHL leve right now and have proven they can score goals at the NHL level - something Dalpe and Welsh didn't do. They didn't even get a call up or a chance which I think is a bit unfair. If it was due to entry waivers or something like that then fair enough, but they're far better players than Welsh, Dalpe, Sestito and maybe even Weise.

Ferriero yes Hamill no. 3 goals 9 points in 21 games is not a lead scorer. He has 1 less goal than freakin Kellan Lain, and less points than defenseman Patrick Mullen. O'Reilly has already matched Hamill's production in only 12 games.

Hamill basically became the 3C. I'd rather see Lain in the 3C spot and Friesen/Mallet battle in the 4C spot.

We currently have one free roster spot, so without Hamill, we'd have two.

Good to hear. These may be valuable come time to try to sign undrafted college or junior players.Hate to lose out on the next Tanev just because we didn't have a spare roster spot for him.

DownUnder your way off. Hamill has struggled in the AHL and Ferrerio was on SJ's third line when they had huge holes in there depth.

There's a reason they're not Canucks not just some massive oversight by coaching and management.

MG gave up a draft pick for Dalpe because he believes he has top 6 upside. Whether or not he gets there is debatable.

And Hamill clears, so he'll be bought out and free to sign in the KHL (which is what's rumoured).

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

Hamill and Fortunus clear waivers.

I suspect Welsh has more potential than Dalpe.

I disagree. Welsh has some potential, but isn't likely to develop past the bottom six. Dalpe has more skill and speed and is more likely to develop as a top 6 forward. You might have a different criteria you're using for potential, but I'd say their upside plus their remaining possible development should be the factors. Dalpe wins out in both categories.

I dunno dude. I am starting to shine on Dalpe a bit. He is getting used to the NHL pace . Once he figures it out some more, he can start to put all that skill to use.

Yeah, last game I saw him rush the puck from his own blueline with some nice moves and great speed, whipped off a hard shot that Harding made a good glove save on. He looked like Kesler in beast mode for a 10 seconds.. He just needs to know how to turn that into a full shift and he could be a 2nd line center in this league (Carolina had plans on that before they acquired Jordan Stall). It's a big if but so is a 4th round pick.

I'm sorry but I don't see what some of you guys are seeing in Dalpe and Welsh. They don't fit any sort of 4th line identity and bring zero offence, if that's in fact why they're keeping these ghosts on the 4th line.

Edit: By "identity" I mean they don't make this our crash and bang line. With everybody healthy I'm hoping our 4th line can be something along the line of Weise - Richardson - Hansen

Archived