The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

L.A. Kings Coach Darryl Sutter Thinks NHL Should Get Rid of Penalty Boxes

Grapefruits

I like the idea, put a few obstacles in the way as well, really make it exciting.

wipeout style...?

but i do think the only time you should get to sit and rest/relax should be after a fight. not for high sticking someone in the face or tripping someone you should have to stand at the other end of the ice from your zone by the opposition goalie in a box. after your penalty is up, your team is considered offside if at anytime you are ahead of an offensive rush over your teams blue line. so basically you and your team would have to all tag up if the penalty ends in the PP teams zone. but if you don't tag up it is not just iceing it is a penalty...

Lets do it NHL.

or we just keep things how they have been for the last you know couple years.

Just make it so that if a post game review shows the player left the bench early will result in an automatic one game suspension.

Boom, done.

No more Healy or MacGuire down their either, that would be a complete win win.

Isn't it already an automatic 10 game suspension?

I think he's out to lunch on this one. Imagine the refs having to keep track of whether a guy stayed on the bench long enough. Would there be officials on the team bench making sure the penalized player stays there?

The penalty boxes are fine they way they are.

Sutter made a great argument, then you successfully refuted it with good points. +1 good sir.

I think he's out to lunch on this one.

I think Sutter's just generally out to lunch - I mean, he can apparently coach, but he gets weird.

Sutter starts interviewing himself after questions about Scrivens

“‘So, Darryl, how do you think Martin Jones played today?’” he asked himself before going on to answer his own question. “‘I thought he was really solid. Made some big saves for us. Jeez. Really held us in there in the first period. I thought he was outstanding.’”

Darryl Sutter said some stuff about the Western Conference being hard

“We play 26 or 29 division games. You can’t come up with the real numbers. Whoever wins tonight, fine. Somebody is going to win. Somebody is going to get two, somebody might get one, and somebody might get none. That’s the way it is. It’s either three-and-two, two-and-[three], or two-and-two. Right? That’s what the division is, and it’s not balanced it because of 16-14. You can’t come up with numbers. I mean, I know now the big thing is – I’ve said it before. They should just come to me first, right? Because I said, ‘You know what? It’s going to take at least 100 points to make the playoffs.’ So now, everybody’s like ‘Oh, there’s going to be eight teams…’ I said that. Heck, that’s how good the teams are.”

Video: Darryl Sutter entertains during press conference

I think he's out to lunch on this one. Imagine the refs having to keep track of whether a guy stayed on the bench long enough. Would there be officials on the team bench making sure the penalized player stays there?

Agreed.

The ref's have a hard enough time making the right calls and he wants them to keep track of people on the bench?

Only way I see this working is if a player gets a penalty, he sits in the dressing room for the remainder of the period, while the team is shorthanded for only 2/4/5 mins.

Archived