The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who was/is the better back up? Schneider or Lack?

TheRick

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And Schneider was disliked...? You people are crazy, it's just like the "Schneider has an attitude problem-thread".

:sick:

What makes one prone to assuming utter and complete garbage like this? unbelievable...

So typical for these lose-wire minded Canucks fans to always try to find an excuse, and all of a sudden think their Jesus when they think of this crap.

Human sanity at its lowest...

Lack is the better backup. He isn't phased by pressure because of his care-free attitude. The BIGGEST difference between Schneider and Lack is that Schneider is an Alpha...he wants to be the guy and wants to be a leader, while Lack is okay with riding shotgun because Luongo is his idol.

So Lack is the better backup because right now he's just that.....a backup...and he's okay with it. Schneider was the backup but made it clear he always wanted to be the starter and made it a competition.

IMO there is no competition between Lack and Luongo, Lack is simply Luongo's successor, but he's fine with filling that role for long time....at least a few more years when Luongo is thinking about retirement (37yrs old)

"Goalie graveyard" = Burke's Koolaid.

No doubt!

Seriously though, we brought in Lu, he shatters every goalie record a Canuck ever had in record time. We are in the most successful generation of Canucks hockey ever, bar none, by FAR!!!

He is a great mentor for Schneider, now Lack.

Schneider fetches us the best prospect we have ever had since the Sedins (arguably.)

Now Lack is looking poised to continue that trend. Then look at Cannata and Ericsson in our system.

FACTORY!!!

In combination with Lu, Lack is. Lack & Lu seem to have similar jokey attitudes. Not that Lu and Schneider didn't get along, but they both knew what was coming (well, at least that a trade was gonna happen haha). Lack is completely fine and happy with being the back up for a few years yet and that is a very good thing. Once Lack wants the starting job and if Lu is still here/playing well, then he'll be moved and we'll start the cycle over once more.

Ask me again when Lack is traded

Step 1 : Luongo gets injured

Step 2 ; Lack stands on his head, wins Vezina

Step 3: Luongo applauds Lack and wishes him well with the team

Step 4 ; Luongo sells his condo / house / shares in the Roxy

Step 5 ; Buffalo trades us rights to Ekblad for Lack

Step 6: Anquilli flies down to Miami to GOAD Luongo back into the fold (again)

Step 7 : MG promotes Eriksson to back up.

repeat steps

Schneider should have never usurped Luongo, If Torts was coaching the team at the time, you would have never seen that happen. AV was trying to do something drastic to spark his team and keep his job.

That being said, Schneider is the best back up the Canucks have ever had. Lack is still unproven as a back up, and Schneider is still unproven as an elite starter.

Neither....Schneider and Lack should not be back-ups...they should be starters

Disagree. Lack is doing great as a backup but it's way too early to say he should be a starter. Let him go through the normal process of a backup. Gain experience and learn from one of the greats.

As for Schneider, he's proven that he can start. But his record and stats haven't been exceptional so far with NJ. Not enough to take the starter's job from Brodeur. I like the way NJ is giving Brodeur the respect he deserves... as long as he still shows he can play ... something Canucks should've done for Luongo. Canucks made Lu back up Schneider when he showed he could still play well. It would've been ok if Lu's play was terrible, but it wasn't, and it wasn't the reason the team was underperforming.

Schneider should have never usurped Luongo, If Torts was coaching the team at the time, you would have never seen that happen. AV was trying to do something drastic to spark his team and keep his job.

That being said, Schneider is the best back up the Canucks have ever had. Lack is still unproven as a back up, and Schneider is still unproven as an elite starter.

Agree totally.

I suppose I'd answer the thread topic like this:

1.Schneider was the better back-up

His list of accomplishments, to-date as a back-up goalie, is vastly superior to Lack's.

2. Lack is the better back-up

Simply by virtue of the fact that it would have been an untenable situation to continue having Schneider on the team with Luongo. Eddie Lack is thrilled to be backing up Luongo (and Schneider definitely would not be). Also, playing behind Luongo is going to help Lack's development immensely (while there would be nothing for Schneider to gain from further playing time as Lu's understudy).

3. It's undetermined who will be the better goalie in the future

I truly believe that Lack could prove to be the superior goalie--to Schneider and possibly even Luongo--once he reaches his prime as a professional. I think Lack has huge potential. I would not be surprised if Eddie Lack eventually became one of the top-five starters in the NHL (I'm not saying that he's anything near a lock to accomplish this however).

I think Lack has the right tool set--both physically and in skill/ability--to become an excellent NHL starting goaltender. What I like the most about Eddie, however, is his mindset and personality--in that respect I believe he has a chance to become a really special player. Goaltending is the most mentally challenging position in hockey and Lack has the right mental make-up to cope with the stresses of the position (which is an area where both Luongo and Schneider have shown some weaknesses).

Lack is far and away the better backup.

Was Schneider more talented and better at goaltending? Absolutely. However, Schneider was about as interested in being our backup as Messier was interested in being our captain.

Is this bad? No. Schneider wanted to be a starter, and is good enough to be an elite starter, nothing wrong with that. Similarly, Messier is a HoF guy who was loyal to our rivals, understandable he could have cared less about being the captain of our squad.

One thing this particular comparison highlights is just how awesome it is that Schneider acted which such grace and class in this situation, Messier was a disaster. Both were in a situation where they were picked for a role, and then after settling in decided they had no interest in that role whatsoever, yet each handled that situation completely differently, you have give to Schneid's a ton of props for that.

Lack has too little of a sample of games to really compare with Schneider.

- Schneider's obviously already proven himself here. Nothing else really needs to be said with that in my opinion

- Lack's looking like he'll prove himself as well and hopefully he continues to improve, but he's hardly done anything Schneider's done in the NHL so far

Archived