The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Leafs extend Phaneuf

Drouin

I don't believe Cain is in our system, but he was invited to our Prospect camp a few years ago. Cody was partners with Hamhuis back in Nashville, so that would be another draw for him.

I haven't watched him that closely, but I feel he is one of TO's more underrated defensemen. What with Phaneuf, Gardiner and Reilly always being talked about, Franson quietly has flown under the radar, and we have a few guys that could cover for him defensively in Hammer, Tanev, Stanton or Garrison.

He is incredibly underrated. He has great size, decent mobility and can be relied on to move the puck or shut a guy down, but like Edler...not both. With the right D partner the guy is a gem waiting to be polished.

I don't believe Cain is in our system, but he was invited to our Prospect camp a few years ago. Cody was partners with Hamhuis back in Nashville, so that would be another draw for him.

I haven't watched him that closely, but I feel he is one of TO's more underrated defensemen. What with Phaneuf, Gardiner and Reilly always being talked about, Franson quietly has flown under the radar, and we have a few guys that could cover for him defensively in Hammer, Tanev, Stanton or Garrison.

Franson would really help our power play, a big RH shot from the point that Hank can feed from the right side. The team team really misses Salo for this reason.

Gotta assume he's a trade target for a few teams though.

Also at least Dions NTC is limited with more then 10 teams. That may come in handy in the long run.

Lol that's the going rate these days. All the sudden edler doesn't look so bad

why is that? edler has still been a defensive liability the last couple years and is extremely banged up at a young age and costs us an arm and a leg when we appear to be better without him ... that simply is not the case with the leafs and Dion.

Phaneuf has the lowest goals against per 60m if he played compared to all the other big guns by a mile

Plays 27 minutes a game and he's always against the best.

Meh its not that bad.

The leafs don't have a very good internal cap structure, and this signing just makes it worse. Especially at that length. Whatever happened to 3,5,6 year contracts why is everything always max now? Just so in 7 years you can look at a contract and say "well now that the salary cap is 100 million $, it's actually a good value..."

Leafs Cap next season

http://www.capgeek.com/mapleleafs

UFA players: Bolland, McClement, Kulemin, Raymond, Trevor Ranger Fraser

RFA players: Holland, D'Amigo, Franson, Gardiner and the msot important one....Reimer.

Current cap: $66 million

After LTIR: $63 million

Next season the Leafs will have less than $20 million to qualify, sign or extend quite a lot of impact players currently on very reasonable contracts. We have seen what the market will bear. Sucks to be Nonis right now because the Leafs show/showed flashes of solid play.

I'd try to get Bolland at the deadline especially if the Leafs fall off the playoff tree again (hopefully we can sign him again too). He would fit right in as an important cog in the machine that is this defensively capable Canucks team. He and Richardson would make our bottom 6 that of a contender's, plus he always raises his scoring in the P/O's.

Twins - Burr (wouldn't hesitate to bump Kass or Hansen up if Burr's still struggling)

Higgins - Kes - Santo

Booth - Bolland - Kassian

(talk about strong 3rd lines! Physicality, with the ability to drive play and create offensive)

Weise - Richardson - Hansen (can be a 3rd on weaker teams)

//Dalpe, Schroeder, Horvat, Sestito

Back on topic: I think it's reasonable for Dion to get $7M but I'm glad we didn't sign him to that.

Archived