The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOURS] Daily TSN Trade Rumours.

Warhippy

What would it take to get montreal to think about moving PK?

Tanev (young D with potential), Edler (top for 4), 1st, Booth (cap movement, but they need size)

For

PK, Bourque (cap movement, but we need goals), 2nd

Probably an overpayment on our part but PK is a game changer, they don't get that type of player in return with Tanev, Edler. They do get a 1st round pick which has potential to become a impact player but still low value right now.

I think if canucks were serious about him, why not wait to the end of the season on draft day to make a big move like this, if PK doesn't seem likely to re-sign his value could be a lowered as well as canuck would know exactly the full value of there 1st round pick

I always stop reading when I get to Tanev. That's the defense of the future and if you've listened would have noticed Gillis is planning on developing young players instead of trading them. Remember that minor detail?

I think we'd be better off targeting Markov than PK if the recent rumours are true.

Maybe he could be had fairly cheaply at the deadline or, probably more preferable, would be to offer him a two year contract in the offseason.

Targeting in the off season I'm sure. Suggestions are out there Markov wants to stay, and there is a thread with rumors of a $6 mill one year deal. I doubt they want long term. As much as he wants to stay, they have Tinordi and Beaulieu to push forward and it would not make sense to go longer than a year for money of any significance.

And I doubt they'll give up on a the potential of going a few rounds of play off revenue and trade him at the deadline. He's there for the play off's, bank on it!

People overate getting assets back. They will also have $5.75 in frickin cap space if they let him walk.

But hey, if they do sign him; they have a pretty good young asset in PMD Beaulieu we could target in a trade! :frantic:

You could almost get Gretzky in his prime for that. <_<

Horvat, Jensen Unproven they might never play in the NHL.

Edler - back issues may never live up to his potential

Tanev - I think the best player in this trade proposal but lacks offensive skill

1st - you're going to need it to get a Norris winning defense men who is only 24.

You can laugh at it all you want but if you want to get Subban out of Montreal that's what its going to cost.

Busy In The Capital

Senators general manager Bryan Murray told Wayne Scanlan of The Ottawa Citizen that he's fielded some calls this week from other GMs on trade deadline possibilities, including nephew and new Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray.

"I'm like every other manager, just trying to see what's right," Murray told the paper. "There's a few players everybody's looking to do something with and the price is real high to do that. I guess it will play out."

Murray added that a GM told him he has a couple of players he wants to deal, but doesn't expect to do so until the 'better' free agents are dealt first.

Scanlan also writes that Murray would like to acquire a veteran forward with term remaining on his contract.

"That's more of what I'm looking at, really," he told him. "If I can make the right deal to get a guy that's played in the league, that has a little term in his contract, then we would get a chance to get to know him and he'd get a chance to get to know us, and maybe then keep him around, that's the ideal thing for me."

Talking The Talks

In a dressing room scrum in Brossard on Tuesday, Montreal Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov was asked by Jimmy Murphy of Sirius/XM NHL Network Radio about Tony Marinaro's report on TSN Radio 690 that the team offered him a one-year, $6 million contract.

"Who said that?" he replied. "I don't know. Were people there at the meetings? I have nothing to say right now.

"Whatever you (media) guys are fishing for, I don't know. It's up to you guys."

After the scrum, Markov told Dave Stubbs of The Montreal Gazette that contract talks, "are still in progress."

"We'll see what happens," he told The Gazette regarding the discussions. "There are eight days left (until the March 5 trade deadline). It can happen at any time."

Jets In Holding Pattern?

Ken Wiebe of The Winnipeg Sun writes that the Jets still have have to decide what they will do at the trade deadline - buy, sell or stand pat. If they become sellers, Wiebe suggests that soon-to-be free agents like Al Montoya, Olli Jokinen, Devin Setoguchi and Mark Stuart could be shopped.

Even Steven

As per Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune, Lightning forward Steven Stamkos isn't buying into the trade speculation involving Martin St. Louis. "They are rumors, but I don't really know where that stuff comes from," he told the newspaper.

Quiet In The Desert

Phoenix Coyotes general manager Don Maloney told The Arizona Republic's Sarah McLellan that any trade the team makes will have to be dollar-for-dollar because the team is up against its own budget. Maloney added that there's nothing imminent on the trade front.

Not long ago Bob, you mentioned that the Vancouver Canucks are willing to deal anybody but the Sedin twins. What's the latest on that front?

Bob McKenzie: The team that I'm most interested to see what, if anything, they do is the Vancouver Canucks. Now I can tell you this, there are multiple teams in the National Hockey League that are looking at veteran defenceman Alex Edler and veteran forward Ryan Kesler and are trying to find out if the Canucks are possibly serious about moving these guys and if so, what the price is going to be.

Now keep in mind a couple of things - nobody in Vancouver leaves if they don't want to leave as there are lots of no-move, no-trade clauses, and we also want to see what happens with Kesler with the MRI coming back on the finger from the shot that he blocked at the Olympics.

In New York talks have clearly broken down between Ryan Callahan and the Rangers with Callahan set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. Is it now a foregone conclusion that he's going to move?

Darren Dreger: I'm told that it's 99 per cent guaranteed that Ryan Callahan will get traded by the New York Rangers. There are many teams involved in this process. We know that the St. Louis Blues have been the most consistent in showing interest, and there's some connection with the Tampa Bay Lightning and other teams as well. But there's an ongoing back-and-forth with defenceman Dan Girardi as well. Many predicted that this deal would be done by now to keep Girardi with the Rangers. If he's not signed by March 5, the trade deadline, there's also a 99 per cent chance that he gets traded.

McKenzie: And you're right Darren, there have been no talks over the Olympic break between Callahan and the Rangers. There has been ongoing dialogue with Girardi - there seems to be a little bit of a difference in term, maybe a little less than $500,000 a year difference in money, but they're working and trying to get that done.

In Toronto, Dave Bolland is set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. How are negotiations going there, and what are the chances he's still a Maple Leaf on March 6?

Dreger: Well this is going to be a real difficult negotiation for the Toronto Maple Leafs, very similar to the one they had with Tyler Bozak creeping up to the trade deadline last year. Of course trading Bolland is an option, it's believed he wants as much as $5 million, maybe better than $5 million per year to stay with the Leafs to avoid unrestricted free agency. So the Leafs have a tough decision to make, since they would rather pay him in the $4 million range than the $5 million range. So do they hold him, and use him as their own rental and take their chances on trying to sign him? They need to make a hockey deal and not a trade that would include draft picks coming back the other way.

Then what do the Leafs need?

Dreger: The Leafs need a top-four defenceman and they're also in the market for a top-nine forward. Again, Dave Nonis is less interested in a rental player and more interested in adding pieces that are going to help this team in the playoffs.

What's the latest on Ryan Miller's status with the Buffalo Sabres?

McKenzie: There have been reports out there that the Sabres are trying to sign Miller. My clear understanding is that the priority and the preference is still to try and get a trade for netminder Ryan Miller and virtually any other player on the roster. General manager Tim Murray is open for business, and there isn't a single untouchable on this team, maybe with the exception of Zemgus Girgensons. The New York Islanders are also conducting an auction for forward Thomas Vanek and defenceman Andrew MacDonald. As many as six teams have enquired on Vanek, and there was at least one serious offer that was rejected by the Islanders. At least seven teams have enquired on McDonald but there have been no firm offers at this point.

Dreger: Some are suggesting that maybe there is a three-way deal involving the St. Louis Blues and perhaps the Minnesota Wild where Jaroslav Halak might be included. Maybe Jake Allen, I know the Buffalo Sabres would want to get him as part of a package. Again, that's the time of year it is and that's the type of rumour mongering that goes on creeping up to the deadline.

We're hearing that Mike Cammalleri has been offered a deal by the Calgary Flames. What are the chances that he remains a Flame after the deadline?

McKenzie: I think it's much more likely that he gets traded than remains a Flame, but there is a remote possibility that Cammalleri could get a deal done with the Flames. But at this point the smart money suggests that he would be - along with those guys like Matt Moulson, Thomas Vanek and others - as a goal-scoring winger who could be had as a rental.

Is it just me, out does this make no sense?:

Dreger: The Leafs need a top-four defenceman and they're also in the market for a top-nine forward. Again, Dave Nonis is less interested in a rental player and more interested in adding pieces that are going to help this team in the playoffs.

You're less interested in a rental player if you want someone who can help going forward. But if the focus is just in the playoffs, it makes no difference. In fact, rentals are often better for a playoff run, since they're playing for a new contract.

Waiting Last Minute

As per Arthur Staple of Newsday, barring a 'can't refuse' offer from anyone in the next few days, New York Islanders general manager Garth Snow will go as close to the 3pm et deadline on Wednesday as possible to entice better offers for both Thomas Vanek and Andrew MacDonald.

He adds that as games go on through the weekend, the number of suitors for MacDonald could go up.

Staple also writes that the Islanders have no intention of trading goaltender Evgeni Nabokov.

High Asking Price

Chris Botta of The New York Times adds that the Islanders are asking for a first-round pick for MacDonald. He adds that there's a 'lot of interest' in MacDonald, but CSNNE.com adds that such a demand is too much for the Boston Bruins, who are reportedly looking for a blueliner.

Interest In Stewart?

According to Bruce Garrioch of The Ottawa Sun, the Senators 'have an interest' in St. Louis Blues winger Chris Stewart. Garrioch adds that Stewart could be part of a deal with the New York Rangers if the Blues are interested in Ryan Callahan.

Staying The Course

Larry Brooks of The New York Post writes that Rangers general manager Glen Sather and his front office are devoting their attention to evaluating personnel who might become available in trades for Ryan Callahan and Dan Girardi, with no progress made toward signing them to contract extensions.

No One's Business

As Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger writes, no one should expect New Jersey Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur to announce publicly that he wants to be traded.

Brodeur explained to Chere that he won't even won't say so unless a deal actually happens - and he hasn't even discussed the situation with general manager Lou Lamoriello.

"Oh, no. It's not going to be like that. I don't think so, anyway," Brodeur told the paper. "It's nobody else's business but mine as for the direction I want to go.

"It's been tough because you go through ups and downs. The more questions I'm asked, sometimes my answers change. That's why in the last few weeks I've been more quiet about it. It's on purpose, because I want to make sure my decision is an educated decision and there are no influences from the outside. Show up Thursday and you'll know if I'm on the plane to Detroit (where the Devils play Friday)."

Chere also writes that Jaromir Jagr, who doesn't have a no-trade clause, hasn't spoken to Lamoriello about a trade option.

"The one thing that is good about this team is we don't have much media coverage," Jagr told Chere. "Less media, less rumors and less trade rumors. I haven't even heard any rumors.

"Hey, I've been traded twice during the season. From Dallas to Boston and to New York from Washington. Going to the Rangers from Washington, they told me they were trying to trade me so I was kind of expecting it. The last one, Dallas to Boston, I was surprised. For me it's easier than somebody with a big family. I pack my stuff and go, if something happens. Or not go."

No Change Of Heart

Katie Carrera of The Washington Post reports that, to little surprise, Capitals forward Martin Erat is still looking to get out.

Erat, back from representing the Czech Republic in the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, said Wednesday he still wants the Capitals to trade him but declined to elaborate further.

Capitals GM George McPhee said earlier this week that he planned to approach Erat again but didn't expect him to change of mind.

There are certain names that our Hockey Insiders have been talking about for months, Ryan Miller, Thomas Vanek, Matt Moulson. But the most intriguing names as we head towards TradeCentre are the most recent ones - Martin St. Louis and Ryan Kesler. Let's start with the latter. What are the real chances that Kesler gets dealt by the Canucks?

Bob McKenzie: Well it's by no means guaranteed but it is a possibility. The buzz on Kesler is increasing by the day. Now, we should get the disclaimers out of the way. The Vancouver Canucks are not aggressively shopping and trying to trade Ryan Kesler, but I do believe that they're aggressively listening. Keep in mind though that Kesler has got a no-move, no-trade clause, so he's not going anywhere he doesn't want to go. Keep in mind also that he's technically injured right now, he's got a finger injury that might be broken, we're only guessing. The Canucks say he's day-to-day so hopefully that won't come into play. But the question then becomes what would the Canucks have to get back in order to consider trading Kesler? It would obviously be a lot. What they're going to be looking for is to pick up a young centre between the ages of 20-25 who can grow into the role that Kesler is in right now. Somebody that gives you a fighting chance at a reload if not necessarily a rebuild.

So for example, would Kesler be prepared to go back to Ohio - he played at Ohio State University - for the Columbus Blue Jackets? And if he was prepared to do that, would the Blue Jackets give up a young centre like Ryan Johansen? Would the New York Rangers give up Derek Stepan, or someone along those lines? Again, someone who is between 20 and 25 who the Canucks can put in their lineup. If they can find the absolute right fit, and they would have to take some money back on Kesler because in order to make these trades, there's a lot of teams that are capped out and would have a tough time taking his salary - although when you look at his contract it's an awesome contract for that guy. So yeah, it's being considered.

Darren Dreger: Well, there's no shortage of interest in Kesler. When he's healthy and competing with the edge that his reputation has been built on, what not to like about him? But when you talk to general managers who might be nibbling at the edges and might have interest in a player like Kesler, there is some concern. When he's healthy, he does have a history of health issues and he's not as intense and productive as he's been in recent years, so he's not entirely without risk.

Martin St. Louis...when he refuses to deny that he has asked for a trade, saying there have been conversations, he's essentially saying "I've asked for trade". Could this happen?

Dreger: It absolutely could happen between now and March 5, and it could also drag into the off-season. What we know is that the Tampa Bay Lightning did reach out to the New York Rangers prior to the Olympics to gauge interest in the possibility of trading such a dynamic and an impactful player within their organization. Now, it wasn't a fit at that point, and it's going to be a complicated process to make it fit again now between now and March 5. That's because Steve Yzerman isn't going to give St. Louis away. This is going to be a difficult negotiation and the Rangers, as much as they love St. Louis and what he might bring to their team, he's also 38 years of age and that's going to be difficult to give prime assets for.

McKenzie: For sure. I would kind of be shocked if St. Louis got traded by the deadline, and if he really does wants out of Tampa Bay - and the indication seems to be that he does - then it's much more likely to be resolved in the off-season then right now, but I guess you never say never. The thing if I were Yzerman I would look at is, St. Louis, if he was unhappy before, he's playing really well. And the Lightning are a good team and I don't know how you get immediate true value for St. Louis right now that doesn't interrupt the Tampa Bay's progress toward making the playoffs and being a contender in the East.

Andrei Markov has gone from injury-prone defenceman to a mini-iron man. He hasn't missed a game now in two seasons, and that presents a contract quandary to Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin. How much of a risk is he in terms of giving him term when he's 35 years old with a bunch of knee surgeries behind him?

McKenzie: Well I guess the question is what is the term? I mean, let's make one thing perfectly clear - the Canadiens like Markov and want to re-sign him. It's been reported on Montreal radio that the Canadiens have offered one year at $6 million, which is a raise of salary, but only one year on the extension because he's 35 and over. My understanding is the Canadiens are not absolutely locked into "we're only offering you a one-year deal, that's it, take it or leave it". But there is some flexibility on the part of the Canadiens to do a one-year, or maybe a two-year deal. Keep in mind, because you're an over-35 player, you can use games played bonuses and you can really jack up the salary based on those bonuses that you can't do with other contracts.

That said, the question is how flexible is Markov? The word I'm getting is that he may be looking for as much as a four-year deal, which seems really long for a guy of his age and injury history. Now is he flexible? Maybe it means four years, maybe it means three. So there is an issue with term. The issue then becomes, do they trade him before the deadline? I would be surprised, unless they got an offer that absolutely blew them away, but I think their goal is to try to get it signed, and I think this is a negotiation.

I dont think Kesler would want to go to NY, mainly because of relationship issues with Alain, however it is possible.

If Kesler does get traded, I see him going to Columbus, Detroit, Dallas, or even someone like Chicago.

I myself dont want him traded, but want Kesler to win a cup for sure. Obviously would prefer with us.

Kesler for Johansen and a 1st would be hard to say no to. If we trade Kes, I say lets rebuild completely.

I dont think Kesler would want to go to NY, mainly because of relationship issues with Alain, however it is possible.

If Kesler does get traded, I see him going to Columbus, Detroit, Dallas, or even someone like Chicago.

I myself dont want him traded, but want Kesler to win a cup for sure. Obviously would prefer with us.

Kesler for Johansen and a 1st would be hard to say no to. If we trade Kes, I say lets rebuild completely.

lol yeah k. If were just going to throw out ridiculous proposals why don't we add Dubinsky and Jenner in there? and just for fun we can throw in every first round pick from this year till 2022... So Kesler for Johansen + Dubinsky + Jenner + 2014-2022 1st round picks. IF CBJ was for some reason interested in trading RJ (46 points in 58 games and 21 years old) for Kesler (38 points in 60 games and 29 years old) the closer value would be Kesler + Jensen for Johansen.

daily fabrications in more like it. not one thing posted from any of the "rumours" has come to pass. this is tsn a garbage network trying desperately to get some rating for there trade deadline day show.when the reality is very little will happen due to cap restraint s and the ridiculous prices for rentals on deadline day.

how many note worthy trades so far during this season in total 1 maybe 2 just gives you an idea of whats to come, but hey if you like to listen to 6 guys talk about how great the leafs are for 5 hours then this is the network and show for you.

i'm starting to think Cheeseburger Mckenize and The Dregs Dreger are actually eklund.

Archived