The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lebrun] Canucks want a Center

Plus picks and or prospects.

You wouldn't take an elite 3C, say an early second and maybe a prospect for Tanev?

In a heartbeat because as good as Tanev is, a high 20 low 30 point season will be his career highs he doesn't hit doesn't fight and is very good positionally yet takes a ton of abuse. His cieling is a great top 4 shutdown guy but so is Corrado's Tommernes' Stantons' and we have Hutton etc coming down the pipes as well.

Tanev for ALL of that? In a heartbeat and wish him the best at the airport

Ensuring no room on the team for the players Gillis has drafted for the last number of years in the 1st round , shroeder, horvat, gaunce.. cause they are not breaking into the league on the 1st or 2nd line. WE DO NOT NEED A 3C... WE DEFINITELY DO NOT NEED TO WASTE WHAT FEW ASSETS WE HAVE ON A 3C

Schroeder has a greater chance of success in the top 6 on the wing IMO. Personally I don't really see a fit for him here. He should be traded back East so he can flourish like Raymond. Unfortunately he hasn't been healthy long enough to be worth anything in a trade.

Guance will be on the Comets next year. And probably the one after that. He can also play wing and will likely do so when he eventually makes the big club in 2'ish years.

Horvat is likely to make the team in a 3W or 4C role next year IMO.

Sounds like there's plenty of room for a GOOD 3C that could fill in occasionally as 2C (injuries, stacking the first with the twins/Kes). It also allows the team to not rush Horvat if he's not quite ready and/or allows him to play the wing where he'll likely have more success and less pressure.

Schroeder has a greater chance of success in the top 6 on the wing IMO. Personally I don't really see a fit for him here. He should be traded back East so he can flourish like Raymond. Unfortunately he hasn't been healthy long enough to be worth anything in a trade.

Guance will be on the Comets next year. And probably the one after that. He can also play wing and will likely do so when he eventually makes the big club in 2'ish years.

Sounds like there's plenty of room for a GOOD 3C that could fill in occasionally as 2C (injuries, stacking the first with the twins/Kes). It also allows the team to not rush Horvat if he's not quite ready and/or allows him to play the wing where he'll likely have more success and less pressure.

And a guy like Stajan would only cost a 3rd...No need to move Tanev for a 3rd C role...Burrows could play that spot also if needed

Canucks' Want List

As written by LeBrun on ESPN.com, the Vancouver Canucks would like to add a centre before the trade deadline and, if not a centre, a top-nine winger.

Arpan@rum0r14m

Vancouver will keep an eye on Colorado with their plethora of forwards according to @Real_ESPNLeBrun

Maybe Gillis is really after McGinn (who's name has been in the rumour mill all year). He's certainly a better 3rd line fit than Booth is at this point.

We trade Tanev and this defence becomes one of the weakest in the league. Even though he's eating up 20+ minutes he's still one of the most underated guys on this team. Try and get Garrison, Hamhuis or Edler to waive their NTCs to go to Colorado instead.

Depends what you mean by "underrating". Even though Tanev is great and all, do you honestly prefer us trading Hamhuis/Garrison, one of them who just made the Canadian olympic team? If so, then i think you're overrating him.

When your two best players are centers and you draft centers every year in the first round for years on end you don't trade your only decent assets for a centre especially when your team needs scoring. Either Gillis knows how to draft or he doesn't, if none of the centres he keeps drafting and signing (lain, richardson, santorelli, dalpe, hodgson, shred, horvat, gaunce etc) if none of those guys are good enough to fill a 3c roll its time for gillis to go.. and i loved gillis.

Maybe Gillis is really after McGinn (who's name has been in the rumour mill all year). He's certainly a better 3rd line fit than Booth is at this point.

I would reaaalllllyyyyyy like McGinn added to the bottom six

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - Kesler - Burrows

McGinn - Ott? - Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Santorellli

That woild be the ideal bottom six for the playoffs. It's one that can wear a team down and can chip in offensively too. A combination of picks other than our 1st and prospects (except Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Corrado, Subban) for McGinn and Ott?

When your two best players are centers and you draft centers every year in the first round for years on end you don't trade your only decent assets for a centre especially when your team needs scoring. Either Gillis knows how to draft or he doesn't, if none of the centres he keeps drafting and signing (lain, richardson, santorelli, dalpe, hodgson, shred, horvat, gaunce etc) if none of those guys are good enough to fill a 3c roll its time for gillis to go.. and i loved gillis.

*Centres can also play wing. Most good teams have more than one C per line if able.

**Most of those guys aren't ready, nor should they be yet and can also play wing (See above). Patience.

*Centres can also play wing. Most good teams have more than one C per line if able.

**Most of those guys aren't ready, nor should they be yet and can also play wing (See above). Patience.

Can yes...not all can comfortably see Philli with both Schenn and Vinny or Boston with Seguin

"can" play a winger on either side does that make him as effective on his off side? No...Its never so black and white and yes in the playoffs I would put Burr at center because he can play that role if required

Moves for the sake of moves are never smart

edler for Stastey 1st

edler will go to Colorado because

has a up and coming team that will be a real contender in 3-4 years

he will be their #1 dman

will not want to play for a team, that doesn't want him

Yea trade Edler for a UFA. I will tell you right now that its pretty obvious that the player that MG is targetting is O'Reilly I just wouldn't want to lose Tanev and would prefer to have Edler waive his NTC to go to Colorado.

Edler for O'Reilly would be a great trade for both teams.

I can understand that it's a numbers game,but I am still loathe to trade Schroeder...He's a really good playmaker,and also good in the SO..I still think the kid is going to succeed...I hope it's here.

Schroeder is a decent hockey player but for his size he needs to be way more skilled to be effective.

The Avs have a lot of cap space, Booth for McGinn straight up. I think McGinn still has a lot of potential upside still untapped.

He's a versatile forward that could play on any line, he scored 20 goals in 2012 with a 159 hits... and lets not forget he's only still 24 years old!! Get on that Gillis!

I don't think people are aware that Tanev will probably ask for 4M at the end of the season.

Knowing Gillis, he'll probably give him a full NTC, as well.

Even PK Subban only got $2.875M AAV over 2 yrs as an RFA and that was signed during his Norris trophy season.

The only way Tanev gets $4.0M per in his next contract is if it's over 5-6 years and even that might be looked at as an over payment.

Yea trade Edler for a UFA. I will tell you right now that its pretty obvious that the player that MG is targetting is O'Reilly I just wouldn't want to lose Tanev and would prefer to have Edler waive his NTC to go to Colorado.

Edler for O'Reilly would be a great trade for both teams.

Edler for Strome + or Mantha + or Nyquist + would be better. O'Reilly is an RFA and his qualifying amount will be $6.5 MILLION

Cap going up by $7 million means.....even with the loss of Edler's contract we are in tight

Edler for Strome + or Mantha + or Nyquist + would be better. O'Reilly is an RFA and his qualifying amount will be $6.5 MILLION

Cap going up by $7 million means.....even with the loss of Edler's contract we are in tight

6.5M for a player like O'Reilly isn't the worst thing ever. Might be able to sign long term with a lesser cap hit

Archived