The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Garrison and physicality

kessnasty

So we all know that Garrison has a wicked shot, which is fine and dandy.

However, I believe he needs to add another element to his game...

He's not especially good in the defensive zone (although not terrible either), but I think its safe to say that its not something he EXCELS at.

Now, I've seen some post-game stuff where Garrison is walking around in the background with a shirt off and HOLY is the guy jacked or what?? There was also a recent picture of him beside Bieksa and he made KB3 look like the David to his Goliath

So what I'm getting at is that I think Torts needs to motivate Garrison to be more physical and start laying guys out! I mean, there seems to be a huge emphasis on Edler stepping up his physical play but I don't see why that same emphasis isn't put on Garrison.

Edler - 6'3, 215 lbs

Garrison - 6'2, 220 lbs

I just haven't noticed much of a bite from Garrison, and I think Torts needs to fire him up - he's a little too timid out there

Even Hamhuis plays more physical than Garrison! I mean, c'mon!

Garrison's struggled the last 10 games. He was like top five in NHL scoring for dmen - barely behind for #2.

I think the loss of bodies really killed them. He's a defensive defenseman with a big shot. Anyone who labels him an offensive defenseman is horribly incorrect IMO.

Garrison's struggled the last 10 games. He was like top five in NHL scoring for dmen - barely behind for #2.

I think the loss of bodies really killed them. He's a defensive defenseman with a big shot. Anyone who labels him an offensive defenseman is horribly incorrect IMO.

What?

ALthough I may believe that Garrison is better in the defensive zone than you might, I must agree with you on his physicality, however, it's not just him.

I have a feeling that last game against the Kings was the first of many physical games to come. Torts, I think, has had enough of getting pushed around.

Keep an eye on Garrison's physicality moving forward, along with everyone else on the team.

My Mini Rant:

Weiuseless should be scratched or traded, we don't need him anymore. Sestito is here to stay game in and game out and is starting to deter other teams. Man, I just can't stand Weiuseless!!! (this does not need a comment to derail this thread, it's just a mini rant:)

He's not especially good in the defensive zone (although not terrible either), but I think its safe to say that its not something he EXCELS at.

Now, I've seen some post-game stuff where Garrison is walking around in the background with a shirt off and HOLY is the guy jacked or what?? There was also a recent picture of him beside Bieksa and he made KB3 look like the David to his Goliath

So what I'm getting at is that I think Torts needs to motivate Garrison to be more physical and start laying guys out! I mean, there seems to be a huge emphasis on Edler stepping up his physical play but I don't see why that same emphasis isn't put on Garrison.

Edler - 6'3, 215 lbs

Garrison - 6'2, 220 lbs

I just haven't noticed much of a bite from Garrison, and I think Torts needs to fire him up - he's a little too timid out there

i couldn't agree more !

i can't remember him ever throwing a hit , let alone get in a fight .

canucks have got burned on every trade with florida since eddie jovonovski !

my bad , garrison was a ufa signing , still like to see some jovo in his game though

i couldn't agree more !

i can't remember him ever throwing a hit , let alone get in a fight .

canucks have got burned on every trade with florida since eddie jovonovski !

my bad , garrison was a ufa signing , still like to see some jovo in his game though

We got burned in the Lu trade?

Yes I have always been surprised by this bc I noticed it as well during interviews in the room, that the guy looks like a friggen lumberjack...you'd think he'd be hammering guys....

Would be great for him to add that dimension to his game, he could learn alot from Hammer on the hipchecks and Eddie on timing the big boomers..

Edler - 6'3, 215 lbs

Garrison - 6'2, 220 lbs

I agree with respect to hitting. Garrison and Tanev are a bit tentative about using the body. They are both good Dmen but if I was an opposing forward and knew that I was going into the corner first with Garrison or Tanev, it is pretty much guaranteed that I am not going to receive a crushing check. I sometimes believe they have stereotyped themselves in that regard. Having said that however, neither of them are caught out of position very often. I simply like a good clean bone racking check thrown once in a while just to keep the opposition players more honest which makes them think more as they go into the corner.

Archived