The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lebrun] Canucks covet O'Reilly and will deal defense to aquire him

Southpop45

There's such a variation in valuation of ROR, the most recent trade of a good young centre was Seguin, ROR is not on that level, but I think it's a good comparison as far as giving up a good roster player ie Edler or Tanev for a good prospect. Maybe some additional pieces of lower value, but the primary 1 for 1 is pretty accurate.

Forsberg trade is not a good example, because he has no history of producing at the NHL.

Don't think we need another centre... we seem to keep trading for them and drafting them year after year and nothing seems to stick. We have Henrik and Kesler for the forseeable future at 1 and 2... why create more CoHo situations...

And I think we have enough two way guys. It's time for some pure offense. Why not go hard after someone like Marian Gaborik now and then try him out once his injury heals up. If he fits then we have the room to resign him.

No i wouldn't because we don't need more D, we need scoring.

Value for Value player deals Flo. At this time I also wouldn't take Shattenkirk, Yandle, Seabrook or any of the other D men that are comparable that mentioned because that is not our need.

I was specifically saying to think theoretically as far as base values go. Would you consider Edler more valuable than Kesler?

Unless you are saying a players value declines when they trade that player for a needed area.

Don't think we need another centre... we seem to keep trading for them and drafting them year after year and nothing seems to stick. We have Henrik and Kesler for the forseeable future at 1 and 2... why create more CoHo situations...

And I think we have enough two way guys. It's time for some pure offense. Why not go hard after someone like Marian Gaborik now and then try him out once his injury heals up. If he fits then we have the room to resign him.

you obviously do not get it. Thank goodness canucks management does.

Kesler needs to go to the wing, he is not a passing player, he is 100% shoot first. Yes he is ok on faceoffs, but his defensive game is not as good as it has been in the past, so bump him up to the top line and that gives us an above average top line

bring burrows to 2nd line and get ROR who passes more than kesler, you could even do sedins and burrows and then kesler on the wing for ROR, the thing is Kes just doesnt utilize his wingers very well. In kesler's mind, any day he is going to return to the player he was in those 6 games against nashville.

By that same token, Edler is much more established than either Johnson, shouldn't he bring a similar if not slightly greater return?

Probably not.

At the time they were traded, there was still that allure of being a young Top 3 NHL draft pick. Johnson and Johnson have awesome physical tools. And in Jack's version some intriguing puck skills. Its not likely at 27 Edler will get faster and stronger to match the blue chip physical talent these guys had to offer. People were not paying for what J & J had already proven, they were paying for what that talent might become.

Now that they have not panned out as Norris candidates or perennial all stars, their trade value will have simmered down. But they are still productive NHL'ers. And there will always be that allure to an extent. In todays market their value should be lower than Edler's, who has proven more. He was, after all, the first of our top 4 to legitimize our D, and improve it to a play off calibre club, and a perennial winner once we added the balance. J & J have not elevated a clubs performance. But trade value is still probably on par as they remain faster, bigger and stronger.

LOL, I remember when CDC started projecting Edler would become the next Lidstrom. I made many a post trying to soften that expectation. Edler was, and remains a solid two way D, who hits, has a big accurate shot and strong passing skills.His points are down because he has a more defensive role and does not get the offensive starts he was used to. But scouts, NHL GM's and (ahem) Olympic selectors still know what he can do. So his trade value is extremely solid. Trade value should be logical, not all hype. But similarly he does not have elite speed and puck handling. Edler is simply not the athlete Lidstrom was or possessing that calibre of skills. Nor offer the monster size and physical presence of a Pronger or Chara. CDC forgets sometimes that it takes the enormous physical gifts, as say Bure had, to be a true superstar. Edler was just never in line for that Norris calibre of play.

ROR is no playmaker either and his faceoffs are too few to call him as good as Kesler in that regard.

If we get ROR, he'll likely be put on the Sedins wing more often than Kesler, to varying degrees of success.

But Sedins-Burr would be our top line most of the time.

Then ROR-Kes-Higgins.

I just don't think this is that tremendous of an upgrade worthy of paying big names, big prospects and big bucks to acquire.

That being said, i fully expect Colorado to retain ROR. He and Roy have rebuilt the bridge.

I was specifically saying to think theoretically as far as base values go. Would you consider Edler more valuable than Kesler?

Unless you are saying a players value declines when they trade that player for a needed area.

Had Edler not had that back injury and Kesler not been injured to the extent he has been, or so reliant on the Sedins for production, than no. I would not give up edler for a center like Kesler. I would want mroe.

My opinion

Gaborik also would not help. Too brittle for starters.

Meh, not sure thats totally true. I would not trade for Gaborik.

But his contract and trade value are down. I'd happily pay him Booths contract.

And he wont get that much more than that this summer? If its close ($5 mill??), I'd have a crack at a 1 or 2 year deal.

Getting O'reilly would allow Kesler to move to wing, which is where he should be playing.

Those two together with Burrows would be the best shutdown line in the league hands down.

Yeah, yeah...

I mean they would be. I am not debating that. But we can produce a pretty good shut down line now.

Does that really make our team better? As opposed to scoring an extra 1/2 goal a game...

Unfortunately, if there is substance to the rumour (?), MG's confidence in Horvat or Gaunce making the jump must be lower???

Hi Flo!

Should we be entertaining that discussion?

We have depth to replace Edler. We do not (yet, our young guns in junior have not arrived...) for Kesler.

Geez, I sure hope MG is not succession planning for the possibility Kesler leaves in 3 years? Adding ROR to his bank of replacements (Horvat, Gaunce... That without actually addressing speed and skill on our wing and D. Those are our weaknesses are they not?

Or is he still fixated on having another Manny, so we have two secondary lines to handle defensive match ups? And believes we can then give the Sedin's back their situational offensive roles to restore their productivity??

Twins Kassian

Higgins Kess Santo

Burr ROR Hansen ( ::D which is better, the 2knd or 3rd line?)

Some people here seriously underrate Edler. For Edlers value look at Phaneuf. Gosh Phaneuf is overrated and gets 7 million a year but why? Good points,makes hits and is a very well known defender. Is that not almost exactly what Edler is?

Edler

5 million dollar cap hit(Friendly cap as it rises but Avs have a ton of cap)

40-50 point player

Can make hits and good hard ones

Can not handle the #1 dman spot. He needs guys like Salo/Erhoff to bring out his best

Ryan O'reilly

Young

60 point players and has potential to go further

Not so nice 6.5 mill at least q.o

Doesn't value team as much as money

Could greatly help put a team like us back into the top of the league

On the last year of contract

RFa

you obviously do not get it. Thank goodness canucks management does.

Kesler needs to go to the wing, he is not a passing player, he is 100% shoot first. Yes he is ok on faceoffs, but his defensive game is not as good as it has been in the past, so bump him up to the top line and that gives us an above average top line

bring burrows to 2nd line and get ROR who passes more than kesler, you could even do sedins and burrows and then kesler on the wing for ROR, the thing is Kes just doesnt utilize his wingers very well. In kesler's mind, any day he is going to return to the player he was in those 6 games against nashville.

What happened last postseason when we tried to slot Roy in at Keslers spot? Kes hated it. Maybe you're the one who doesnt get it.

We need to build around what we got. Sedin Sedin Burrows is good. Our defense and goaltending is fine.

Its the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines that need finetuning. Selling the farm for ROR is mot the answer. Getting Keslers second line and our Powerplay some legit pure offense on the wing should have been and still is the number one priority.

Honest question?

How long is the qualifying offer we would have to give ROR?

If I'm not mistaken he can accept it; then become a UFA??

We could pay a lot to get him. A lot in cap space. And then only have him for a year, maybe two...

I had the same questions I came to this conclusion

His value is at an all time high

Were we to get RoR we could qualify him and keep him for no less than $5.3 million at 5 years or longer for less but no less than $5 milliion per year and a $6.5 million base qualifying offer.

But, were we to get him under the umbrella and be unable to retain him people need to know that we hold his rights as an RFA in a year where the rising cap will start a frenzy and an offer sheet of $6 or $7 million wouldn't be unheard of (imagine that 3 first round picks) we would be able to auction him to the highest bidder as it stands

Him for Edler alone is a trade in favour of Col, but being able to trade him, his rights or the like for a kings ransom because apparently he is the next coming of Messier judging by how people are valuing him; should with smart management mean an overall gain even at the loss of Edler as he very well could only get better. And as his production rises so does his value.

If we were to obtain RoR. Smart management could really turn him into an overall asset as a player and or as a trade piece

Getting ROR would do nothing to improve our pp, btw.

Lol our power play blows as is, ROR has 18 goals this year. I'm pretty certain he could help a little with a power play that's been stale since 2011. If we aquired any top six player he'd help our 1st power play unit that hasn't really seen a new face in 3 years. Hell, Sestito freakin helped on the power play haha.

I wouldn't even bother responding to shiznak. Guy doesn't even watch the game. He throws out meaningless stats, and spent 40 minutes editing his post, to find a quote from an assistant coach, saying something positive about the player, trying to defend his point. I mean, how low can you go? Why bother, you might as well be talking hockey with a bum on a street. there's no difference.

All he's done, has been throwing out statistics. The sad part, is that it's not even correct, and some statistic he's thrown out are irrelevant. He hasn't been able to identify the Del Zotto's abilities, and isn't even able to put out any of his characteristics. Del Zotto is currently the number 6th defense man, on his team right now on a team, yet he's suppose to go somewhere else to be top guy? what a joke.

You can't respond because you're not man enough to admit you're wrong. You resort to saying I don't watch any hockey games or have no knowledge of other players. Yet, the traits you mention about Del Zotto are untrue. Slow? Didn't scouts call him one of the best skaters in his draft, up to par with Stamkos? He's not phyiscal? Since Del Zotto made it into the league in 2010, he has racked up more hits than Edler (535, MDZ to 448, Edler), while playing less games. I'm guessing you only started to watch Rangers' games, this season. Quoting AV about a player he has coached for 4 months is useless.

Besides, I never once said Del Zotto was better than Edler. I said if Colorado wants an Edler type defensemen (an offensive defensemen), then they should be looking at Del Zotto, who might be on the block and they could possibly fetch a better deal from NYR than just Edler.

Everyone here was complaining about Salo's injury and now you want us to go after an even more injury prone player like Gaborik? Are you using your head? No, we don't need another fragile player that breaks before the playoffs role, we need a versatile two way player with a scoring touch like ROR.

Nobody has yet stood up and said what they would pay for Yandle, Bouwmeester, Shattenkirk, Hedman or Seabrook as these are comparable D men. I am sure making proposals for all of them woul;d have every pick or prospect in our system flying off the shelves, yet Edler isn`t worth a 2 way center....

As I mentioned, Edler's NTC drags his trade value down.

Out of those defensemen, the only one whose value is less than Edler is Bouwmeester.

Archived