The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Torts Suspended 6 Games

Strombone1

I think more important than 6 games, is that it is 15 days, not allowed to be involved in practices or anything. Very different than just missing games

That is kind of the point. His assistants can man the games, and make line changes. I always found it silly in baseball, when they eject a manager. It will be like the 8th inning already, heaven forbid the pitching coach might have to make the call when to change pitchers

Who really gives a shat anyhow.

The Canucks will still have an NHL coach behind the bench, and a very experienced assistant coach.

They'll be fine.

The NHL can suck it.

“One thing you can't hide - is when you're crippled inside.”

“For the powerful, crimes are those that others commit.”

For all of you homers who think that Hartley was an arse for putting his 4th liners to start the game ... please read this article.

Where do you think Hartley got the idea from?

http://sports.yahoo....38086--nhl.html

On Dec. 20, 2011, coach John Tortorella’s New York Rangers visited their rivals the New Jersey Devils at Prudential Center in Newark for the first time that season. It was a key division game, and one that would set the tone for the rest of their season series.

The Rangers, as the road team, would determine the personnel on the opening faceoff. In their previous two road games, New York started No. 1 center Brad Richards’ line for the opening draw.

In this game, Tortorella opted for a different look: Fourth liners Mike Rupp, Ruslan Fedotenko and Brandon Prust.

Devils Coach Pete DeBoer responded in kind: Rather than throwing Zach Parise to the lions, like Randy Carlyle did when he lined Phil Kessel up next to John Scott this season, DeBoer skated out Cam Janssen, Eric Boulton and Tim Sestito.

Nice find! That throws an interesting twist on things. I'm one of the fans that completely supports Torts for responding with his fourth line. But I've never thought Hartley was an arse for the move. Interesting little fact for all of those who did though

The Vancouver Canucks issued the following statement today from President and General Manager Michael D Gillis.

"We respect the decision made by the National Hockey League today to suspend John Tortorella for 15 days from Sunday, with no contact with the team for six games. We would also like to acknowledge our organization's full support for John and we look forward to having him back behind the bench soon."

No further comments will be made by the club at this time.

Nice find! That throws an interesting twist on things. I'm one of the fans that completely supports Torts for responding with his fourth line. But I've never thought Hartley was an arse for the move. Interesting little fact for all of those who did though

Those guys are a 4th line who can play too though. I wouldn't buy that Russian Fedotenko is out there to fight. And I would take Brandon Prust on this team, over any of our 4th line. No questions asked!

So he's suspended 15 days, 6 of which he can have no contact with the Canucks. Can he stick with Utica for the next 6 games.

They Play the Wolves in Utica on the 21st and then they play out in Abby on the 24th and 25th. May as well watch the prospects play the next 3 games.

Since he apparently can't have ANY contact with the Canucks on game days he should hang out in the visiting team's tunnel for the 4-game homestand.

Last 40 years, for a game-related incident:

March 1982 Harry Neale, Canucks: suspended 10 games for punching fan

February 1982 Don Perry, Kings: suspended 15 days (8 games) for ordering player to leave bench during altercation

January 1989 Terry O'Reilly, Bruins: suspended 4 games and fined $1K

October 1987 Bryan Murray, Capitals: suspended 3 games for off-ice incident with official between periods of game

January 2000 Herb Brooks, Penguins: suspended 2 games for going after Avalanche TV play-by-play announcer John Kelly after a game

November 2002 Bryan Trottier, Rangers: suspended 2 games for initiating a brawl

1 site reports his Salary at 2million yearly.

If this was true, and IF the penalty breaks 2 million over 82 games, removing 6 from that method would cost Torts $146,341.

Sounds big, but making 2 mil yearly over a 5 year contract.

Drop - in - the - hat. "A lil bit less to charity yearly" his wife is thinking.

Friedman thinks otherwise, but I have no clue what Torts true salary is.

I don't believe coaches get paid on a per game basis.

His salary is purported to be $2mil per year...that's also what he was making with the NYR iirc.

4% of $2mil is $80K, which is "around" $50K more than Hartley so this most certainly jives with EF's tweet.

1 site reports his Salary at 2million yearly.

If this was true, and IF the penalty breaks 2 million over 82 games, removing 6 from that method would cost Torts $146,341.

Sounds big, but making 2 mil yearly over a 5 year contract.

Drop - in - the - hat. "A lil bit less to charity yearly" his wife is thinking.

how much does he pay in taxes each year then do your math.

I don't believe coaches get paid on a per game basis.

His salary is purported to be $2mil per year...that's also what he was making with the NYR iirc.

4% of $2mil is $80K, which is "around" $50K more than Hartley so this most certainly jives with EF's tweet.

Tortorella's used to doling out money to the NHL. He doesn't give a f*ck!

John Tortorella's history of fines:

April 6, 2012: New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella has been fined $20,000 for comments following a game at Pittsburgh on Thursday, April 5.

Jan. 4, 2012: New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella has been fined $30,000 for comments made following Monday's game against the Philadelphia Flyers.

"There is no acceptable explanation or excuse for commentary challenging the integrity of the league, its officials or its broadcast partners," said NHL senior executive vice president of hockey operations Colin Campbell. "People can disagree with calls by officials on the ice, but even in instances of the utmost frustration there is no justification for speaking as inappropriately and irresponsibly as Mr. Tortorella did."

Nov. 4, 2009: The National Hockey League announced today disciplinary action resulting from NHL game between the New York Rangers and Vancouver Canucks, Nov. 3. New York Rangers forward Dane Byers has been suspended automatically for one game, while head coach John Tortorella has been fined $10,000.

April 25, 2009: New York Rangers coach John Tortorella has been suspended for one game for squirting a fan with water and throwing a water bottle that struck a fan during Game 5 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal series with the Washington Capitals April 24 in Washington.

Clearly the NHL doesn't like Tortorella questioning the leagues integrity. The funny thing is he's right about the officiating being a joke, but too many other coaches are too afraid to speak up so nothing is done.

Could this be good for us? Torts now gets to see what the teams falls back on without him. He can see some of the underlying tendencies of the team, and correct what he feels isn't right. Possible blessing in disguise is the team will try and play torts hockey without torts.

“He was a junior B goalie trying to tell me how to fight. He was always just degrading me. Not to be a (wimp), but he was a bully,” Parker told the Denver Post. “And he could be because he was in a position of authority. What was I supposed to do as a rookie? Go tell him ‘(expletive) you’?

“I did that stuff at the end of my career, but at the beginning of my career, I was just a chess piece to him.”

Parker, who says he suffered 20 to 25 concussions during his nine year pro career, adds that on several occasions he was injured to the point he needed to go through a game without fighting to recover from previous bouts but was threatened with a trip to the team’s AHL affiliate Hershey Bears.

“He would call me a (expletive) and say that Hershey would be my next stop, where I’d be ‘smelling chocolate fumes all day long.’ I remember I thought I had a broken foot and told him about it, and he called me a (expletive) and said Hershey would love me,” Parker said. “Nobody needed to question my commitment to doing my job. But I was just constantly belittled by Bob Hartley.

“I really have no respect for the man.”

So what, because his dad works in the NHL office he shouldn't be allowed to play the game he has worked his whole life on to achieve his childhood dream of playing it professionally? And it's not like Gregory Campbell isn't worthy of playing in the NHL, guy is a great 4th line centreman and I would take him on my team in a heartbeat. I usually think you are a pretty well thought out poster, but no offence that comment is naive and dumb.

Really. Calling someone dumb for questioning what is a clear conflict of interest? No offence but I'm pretty sure naive and dumb are better suited for your post.

So what, because his dad works in the NHL office he shouldn't be allowed to play the game he has worked his whole life on to achieve his childhood dream of playing it professionally? And it's not like Gregory Campbell isn't worthy of playing in the NHL, guy is a great 4th line centreman and I would take him on my team in a heartbeat. I usually think you are a pretty well thought out poster, but no offence that comment is naive and dumb.

Gregory can play, but Daddy takes a sabbatical .. simplified it for you .. and name calling is a bit lame at this point.

Archived