The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Leafs and Oilers

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger 5m

Oilers acquire Mark Fraser from Leafs for Cam Abner and Hartikainen.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 8m

So it's Cam Abney (ECHLer) and Teemu Hartikainen (in KHL) for Fraser. In other words, an expiring contract and an expired contract.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger 2m

Plan is to leave Hartikainen in Russia. Meanwhile, Leafs are considering Marlies\Orlando as options for Abney.

CapGeek@capgeek 1m

#MapleLeafs went from around $370K in cap space to $1.65M with today's trade — enough to get Bolland off LTIR with a few demotions.

Well that has to be for their AHL affiliate, because Fraser brings nothing to the Oilers that they actually need as far as I can tell.

If Fraser gets back to his level of play that he had last year this is a great pickup. Solid #6 defenseman.

I'm surprised we haven't seen even a small move by Gillis with all the injuries we have... oh wait there was Prospal... let's see more moves.

Other than the fact that there have been so few trades this year - why make short term trades if you're not committed to this year? I think Gillis has shipped it in this year. Hopefully he will cut some fat at the deadline - but making a deal just to make a deal is poor management.

He'll shore up the 3rd pair.... And push belov and marincin out of the line up which is a good thing

A lot of people really like Marincin, and I saw in Friedman's 30 thoughts this week that the Canucks may have asked for him as another piece in the rumoured Oilers offer for Schneider.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/01/nhl-gms-deal-with-double-trade-deadline.html

8. The next test for the Oilers is San Jose. A tough one. But I'm very curious to see if Martin Marincin-Jeff Petry turns out to be a legitimate pair for the Oilers. You can see why the Vancouver Canucks wanted Marincin in a proposed Cory Schneider trade and Petry's looked very calm with him.

I'm not that sold on the Oil adding Fraser. He's not bad, but I personally would have preferred to keep Hartkainen. If anything you upgrade with one of your better pieces to get back a significant piece on D.

Archived