The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lebrun Speculation] Canucks Ready for Re-tool

Blueberries

Couple deals I would like to see happen,

Hansen, 5th round pick 2015 to Carolina for Sergey Tolchinsky, Dayson Bowman.

Sergey Tolchinsky - (72 points in 50 games in the OHL) 18 year old Russian prospect. But he is 5'9 170 pounds, he can grow out in 4 years and hopefully reach the NHL level. Very offensively gifted.

Bowman is a 24 year old LW, lots of skill and speed in his game. Currently plays on the 4th line for the Hurricanes he could be used as our 3rd line winger with our speed and replacing Hansen with more skill.

--------

Next one, Weise and Sauve to the Islanders for 4th round pick 2014, 7th round pick 2015.

I thought of these trades to make our prospect pool better and our future.

Columbus intrigues me, as they have both some of the best young players on their squad, and in their system. Not even for Kesler, as he is bigger, as fast and has offensive upside.

But Johansen has to be off limits is my guess. He's now their top line center, and if they make a trade its to push for the play off's, not rebuild themselves. Higgins and a 2KND for Rychel seems a good fit both ways?

We could go bigger and send Kesler home to the heartland. But I just don't see how we trade Kesler. We would have to get a Barkov calibre prospect back even if we have to chip in. But why would rebuilding Florida do such a thing? Or a play off possible team, such as Columbus give up Johansen. So maybe a hockey trade with a similar team. Nashville might be confident in keeping Kesler in 2 years; Shinkaruk and Kesler for Seth Jones???

We would have plenty of money for a UFA center and a wing going in to next year where that depletes us. Trade Kesler, sign Statsny and we have a retooled new look?

Back to Edler; for Orlov, Erat and a 2knd?

Lets be stupid and have fun with the conversation; trade Kesler for Jones as above, sign Statsny and Iginla in the off season. With Booth gone, the cap would be there!

Or realistic. Having talked through some whimsical :rolleyes: suggestions, maybe this would be more plausible. Edler / Higgins to Boston for Hamilton, a pick and Eriksson? Good trade for both teams!

Lebrun isn't Gillis.

Speculating about dealing Burrows (which he just did on That's Hockey) is kinda daft.

Moving Burrows at this point is bass ackwards thinking.

Imo Edler stays unless we're getting a premier young defenseman back in a deal, and a second asset that makes a deal irresistable.

As a whole I agree with you. But Montral could be a good fit.

Just a shot in the dark; They need forwards and I would suspect Burr would greet a move home as both a new lease on life and a reward. He also would fit in perfect with their attacking defensive pressure and transition games.

Burrows for Beaulieu.

Considering they have 3 UFA D (Boulion, Diaz and MARKOV), Plus Subban RFA, I also see a contracted Edler as both an immediate boost to their play off hopes and a long term solution for them. The harder question in that concept is what comes back? Maybe if one of their D goes down before the deadline talks would pick up? Nystrom, Beaulieu and a high pick???

This is pure speculation, Lebrun putting two and two together. No way Gillis lets the media know what his plan is. In saying that, it's nice to hear a respected insider say it. The proverbial 'window' is closed, whether MG says it or not, he has to know it.

And in my opinion, which isn't a popular one according to some posts, is Kesler needs to go. His attitude is way too big for this team and the locker room (and I'm not speculating, I've heard it from those in the know). He'll fetch a great return.

Edler needs a fresh start too, just don't know if Gillis will ask him to waive so soon after signing.

And finally Hansen would fetch us something DECENT. I'm not going to get involved with the back and forth of what I mean by that :). But if we can offload Kesler and Edler and pick up some quality players, Hansen makes an ideal 4th liner who you can rely on and actually play for more than 3 minutes a night.

Agreeable post.

We will see what happens but I don't have to much faith in MG's ability to pull off a retool. He seems like he always sells with a very high asking price and wants to buy strong talent for cheap. If the other teams don't bend he just rides it into the ground. It just seems like it goes entirely against his nature.

You have a specific example of Gillis doing anything you wrote there?

You have a specific example of Gillis doing anything you wrote there?

- Shopped Lu for years and no team offered him what he wanted and his value only kept declining. Eventually he caved and moved Schneider when the situation had to be addressed.

- Gillis best FA signing was Hamhuis a player who took less than was offered by other teams because he wanted to play in Van (in other words Hamhuis practically did him a favor.

- Ehrhoff was his best trade. A player who was a salary cap dump and came to him for no cost at all. In addition so was David Booth though that didn't work out as well.

Can you give even one example of Gillis making a trade where his hands weren't tied with a noteworthy player? Or him signing a big free agent who didn't offer a hometown discount? Or giving up anything significant for a big talent?

- Shopped Lu for years and no team offered him what he wanted and his value only kept declining. Eventually he caved and moved Schneider when the situation had to be addressed.

- Gillis best FA signing was Hamhuis a player who took less than was offered by other teams because he wanted to play in Van (in other words Hamhuis practically did him a favor.

- Ehrhoff was his best trade. A player who was a salary cap dump and came to him for no cost at all. In addition so was David Booth though that didn't work out as well.

Can you give even one example of Gillis making a trade where his hands weren't tied with a noteworthy player? Or him signing a big free agent who didn't offer a hometown discount? Or giving up anything significant for a big talent?

Lu was an anomally and not the norm. We don't know what happened there, but all we can do is speculate. It looked to me that Gillis wasn't going to give him away for nothing and that's a smart move. I would have preferred to keep Cory, but the trade was fine. Not sure how anyone can complain.

Free agent Sundin came here and pretty sure he was not born in BC. Also it's ridiculous to just erase Hammer and Garrison signings for cheaper. Gillis went out and got them, they count. Before Gillis we couldn't even get hasbeen BC players to sign here.

What trades were you expecting? Most teams don't trade their stars so easy even if it seems a fair even up deal. When it comes to the deadline Vancouver tends to steal the spotlight with asome decent deals. (Higgins, Lappy, Kassian)

no, he didn't.

and look at my list of the trades on the previous page. the comparable are better and more recent.

Most of those posted were last year... A VERY deep draft, on a salary dump year when the cap was going down.. War hippy is on to something, and I think that you will just argue for the sake of doing so... No credibility there.

Lu was an anomally and not the norm. We don't know what happened there, but all we can do is speculate. It looked to me that Gillis wasn't going to give him away for nothing and that's a smart move. I would have preferred to keep Cory, but the trade was fine. Not sure how anyone can complain.

Free agent Sundin came here and pretty sure he was not born in BC. Also it's ridiculous to just erase Hammer and Garrison signings for cheaper. Gillis went out and got them, they count. Before Gillis we couldn't even get hasbeen BC players to sign here.

What trades were you expecting? Most teams don't trade their stars so easy even if it seems a fair even up deal. When it comes to the deadline Vancouver tends to steal the spotlight with asome decent deals. (Higgins, Lappy, Kassian)

Lu wasn't speculation. Gillis wanted a return as good as Lu's talent levels but refuses to account for his age and absurd contract which no one wanted to take on. Because of this Lu ended up on the market for 2 years and all that came of it was an embarrassing media frenzy. The complaining is valid because at first Lu was getting offers but Gillis wanted more. His value was near nothing by the end of it because on top of his flaws he basically lost his job.

Sundin signed in Vancouver because they were best looking team that wanted to take him on and most couldn't even afford him. He just wanted money and the best team that would take him.It was a low risk move for Gillis because it was a 1 year deal and he didn't have to give up anyone (typical Gillis move) but it was a bad one as Sundin was a disappointment and played much worse than he had in the past seasons. Just an FYI Sundin signed 1 year for 8.6 million which was the 3rd largest contract behind Ovechkin and Crosby. The cap hit was 5.363 because he signed mid season. If I am not mistaken only Boston had the cap room to support that at the time as far as teams with better records.

Jason Garrison whom I don't even consider a major signing...

In the months ahead of his free agency, Garrison went on record as being interested in playing for the Canucks, his hometown team.

Dan Hamhuis

Growing up in Smithers, British Columbia, he was specifically interested in signing with the Canucks during his pending free agency, which factored into his decision to sign with neither Philadelphia nor Pittsburgh.

In other words both players wanted to go to Vancouver. Both players had offers as good as what they got money wise from other teams. Gillis didn't go get these guys in the fashion most GM's do as much as they knocked on the door and said I want to play for you.

The point being is retooling is not an easy process it involves a form of strong drafting as well as bold trades and excellent scouting. But Gillis is the most timid GM of all of hockey and to suddenly start making bold trades and signings is something he has never done before or shown any will to do so.

So yes. I am very hesitant to believe he would even try to retool.

Most of those posted were last year... A VERY deep draft, on a salary dump year when the cap was going down.. War hippy is on to something, and I think that you will just argue for the sake of doing so... No credibility there.

Ya, I +1 this. Big whoop wanna fight about it.

End result is that Kesler Edler and Hansen leaving can net us enough of a return seperately that we can be competitive for the next decade. A 1st a prospect for both edler and Kesler (or more possibly depending on bidding wars) and a 1st or 2nd and 3rd for Hansen

This is a rebuild or retool done right IF Gillis can maximize returns and IF he can draft wisely with said return and IF any prospects he recieves will be assured to shore up weak areas of our organization moving forward

Sedins, luongo, Kesler are likely the only 4 that are untouchable. Luongo will not be traded unless he requests it again.

The biggest returns will come from Hamhuis Edler Hansen Bieksa burrows Higgins gaunce

Canucks need youth like Kane, gryba, Gallagher, johansen, grigorenko, callahan and the like...

Sedins, luongo, Kesler are likely the only 4 that are untouchable. Luongo will not be traded unless he requests it again.

The biggest returns will come from Hamhuis Edler Hansen Bieksa burrows Higgins gaunce

Canucks need youth like Kane, gryba, Gallagher, johansen, grigorenko, callahan and the like...

Luongo won't request a trade again? You sure about that man?

kesler for mantha, nyquist, 1st - kes would eat up eastern conf teams for breakfast, plus play a nice shut down game and he is in his prime

or

Kesler for B schenn, Laughton

or

kesler - would not keep Kes in the west, I do not think Minny has the pieces we want aside from brodin, I dont like dumba or any of their other prospects

edler, Hansen, Jensen - ROR, 3rd

Burrows, corrado for Girardi, 2nd

I agree that we need youth, but I find it funny you mention Callahan when he's 28.

If it was up to me, the untouchables would be

Sedins

Kesler

Kassian

Hamhuis

Tanev

Stanton

Lack

Then

Horvat

Shinkaruk

Gaunce

Corrado

For prospects.

Looking at who else, we could get a crap ton of young players, prospects and picks for guys like Bieksa, Burrows, Edler, Garrison, Higgins, Luongo (maybe) and Richardson.

Ryan MF Stanton is untouchable? Man....

Archived