The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Home / Hockey / Five Minutes With Top Shelf Prospect Nick Ritchie
Five Minutes With Top Shelf Prospect Nick Ritchie
Updated: February 22, 2014

Nick-Ritchie.jpg

Nick Ritchie is one of the top prospects for this June’s NHL draft. In early February we ranked him at number seven in our draft rankings, and he’s a player who has been on the rise all season. Here is what I had to say about Ritchie a few weeks ago.

TopShelfProspects1-300x118.jpgNick Ritchie, LW, Peterborough Petes, (6’2″ 215 lbs): The brother of Dallas Stars draft pick, and 2013 WJC Team Canada member Brett Ritchie, Nick is finding his own way as a power forward prospect winning gold with Team Canada at the 2013 IIHF Under 18 tournament, and again at this summer’s Ivan Hlinka tournament. Due to shoulder issues, he played in just 41 games last season, but managed to put up 35 points on an understaffed Peterborough team. He seems to have answered the questions about any lingering injury issues with 23 goals and 48 points in 42 games this season. A power forward prospect who finishes his checks, and plays a very straight line game, taking the puck right to the front of the net and not caring if he has to go through a defenceman to do it. He has a powerful skating stride, and excellent balance, but could stand to work on his speed as it is just average (for this draft class) right now. He loves to stand in front of the net and has the quick, soft hands necessary to score on rebounds and deflections. Ritchie might have the best wrist shot in this draft class. It is tremendously powerful, and features a very good release. It can be in the back of the net before the goaltender even knows that he’s shot the puck.

In an update to that, Ritchie is now at 32 goals and 62 points in 51 games. He’s been on quiet the streak with nine goals and 14 points in his last nine games.

Yesterday, I had another opportunity to watch him live as his Peterborough Petes team was in Mississauga facing the Steelheads. The Petes won 4-0 and Ritchie scored a second period goal utilizing that tremendous wrist shot and release from the top of the slot. I can’t say enough about that release, it is tremendously quick, and might be at an NHL level right now. He gets the puck off so quickly, and it was in the back of the net before anyone in the rink knew what happened, including Steelheads’ goalie Spencer Martin. Ritchie also impressed me with his strength on the boards, as he was overpowering Steelheads defencemen in board battles. One other thing I noticed about Ritchie last night was that his first step quickness is also very good. While he is merely average when we talk about straight line speed and skating a long distance, he is very agile and has a great first step which helps him beat other players to loose pucks in the offensive zone.

After the game I had the opportunity to catch up with Ritchie and he was nice enough to answer a few quick questions for me.

LWOS: Hi Nick, thanks for taking the time to speak to us at Last Word.

Ritchie: No problem, thank you.

LWOS: How has coming up in a hockey family, with an older brother already having gone through the OHL, and drafted by the Dallas Stars helped you going through your draft season?

Ritchie: It’s helped quite a bit. Anytime you have someone to lean on for stuff like that, its pretty cool and he’s gone through the things I’m starting to go through now and its great to have him to talk to.

LWOS: You scored a nice goal tonight, can you take us through that play?

Ritchie: We had a clean entry out of our zone, and (Eric) Cornel drove the net and left the puck for me. I let a pretty good shot go, and it went in.

LWOS: Your team made a trade at mid-season to bring in Hunter Garlant from Guelph. He’s been playing with you on the top line, and it looks like the two of you have some immediate chemistry. Can you tell me about working with your new linemate?

Ritchie: It’s been great. Ever since he came over its been awesome. We’ve really been on a roll since the move and we are hoping that continues heading into the playoffs here.

LWOS: You certainly have size and play a physical game out there. Is there any NHL player you are a fan of, or try to model your game after?

Ritchie: I dont think there is any one particular guy, I just try to look at a few of the bigger guys and take a little bit from each of them. I watch guys like Jamie Benn, Ryan Getzlaf, Milan Lucic, they are great players who use their body well.

LWOS: You have some international hockey experience with two gold medals last summer in the Under 18 and the Ivan Hlinka tournament. Can you tell us what a gold medal game is like, and leave us a prediction for Sunday’s Olympic Game between Canada and Sweden?

Ritchie: Obviously the level I played at isn’t even close to the same stage as what we will see Sunday. Still its a one-game thing and you have to put it all out there. I like the way Canada has played so far and I predict that they will get it done and bring home the gold.

LWOS: Thanks for doing this Nick, and good luck down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Ritchie: Thank you for having me.

You can follow the Peterborough Petes as they head down the stretch of the OHL season at their website and on their twitter account – @PetesOHLhockey. You can follow Nick Ritchie on twitter - @ritchboiii

This should swing the votes in Nicks favor im thinking by tomorrow night :bigblush:

A rumor started by yourself? People can say anything, don't always believe what you read online.

Kapanen was being absolutely revered by Smashian and then he switched to Ehlers on an absolute dime. I put my faith in his opinion as he watches a lot of junior hockey.

Another poster here specifically knows someone close to Virtanen and says he does have a bit of an attitude, as well team 1040 said his reception from Calgarians on twitter wasn't entirely positive.

Havn't heard a word about Ritchie besides consistency issues, as well his older brother clearly gives him advice on how to be a pro.

I take it with a grain of salt but when the decison was already close you look at all factors. Including rumours from the abotsford grape vine

His skill level is absolutely better than Kassians in every category except playmaking.

Ritchie's shot has been described as best in the draft class. Kassian has a decent shot but rarely uses it.

Ritchie is an excellent skater. Kassian is an average skater

Ritchie is great on the rush and loves to attack the net. Kassian likes to pull up and make a pass.

IMO they are totally different players and shouldn't be compared. Kassian is a play making puck distributer. Ritchie is a goal scoring sniper that goes to the net and finishes.

They could be an absolute force together really. Why wouldn't you want two big power forwards on your team that hit, fight and score.

So how are his skills better than Kassian?

Comparing an 18yr old junior player to a proven NHL player... just stop

My take on attitude when your looking at the ten best players in the draft is it really has to be taken with a grain of salt. We're talking about kids first of all, teenagers that play hockey, they all have a certain cockiness to them. Also when your looking at the top ten, the best of the best, they have been the best player on their team since they were 5 years old. These guys have been the star since day one and as a child that is something they lean on for status. I'm the top dog, I'm the best, it's only natural to feel and think that way.

I know some kids are a little more humble, and that's great but don't count the others out because they've never experienced a situation where they're not looked upon as the best by their coaches, teammates and opponents.

I really think it's just a part of growing up as not only a hockey player but a human being. When u have all the talent in the world and your way better than most kids your age, it's bound to get to your head a little.

I just think attitude gets blown way outta proportion. They really are all kids at the end of the day.

If we get the 10th overall pick I would consider taking Fleury if Ehlers, Nylander, and Kapanen are gone.

We don't have any bluechip defense prospects and Fleury, who at 17 is 6'3" and ~200 pounds, has top pairing potential. He is a very good skater, although his acceleration could use a bit of improvement, and has loads of hockey sense and poise.

Being known for his shutdown capabilities, Fleury has improved his offensive game -- basically night and day -- from last season. I've read reports and opinions from other posters that have watched him play that claim that Fleury is a fairly effective puck mover with his above average vision, passing, and ability to skate the puck up the ice. These skills along with his poise allow him to serve as a powerplay quarterback. His shot isn't that great and he could use more creativity in the offensive zone. That being said, Fleury's dedication to improving his offensive game shows that he is willing to improve every facet of his game to be the best player that he can be.

Style-wise, he has been compared to a Brent Seabrook because of his size, physicality, and defensive prowess, but also has a bit of Jay Bouwmeester in him with his skating ability, the willingness to join the rush, and puck moving qualities. His point totals aren't that impressive (8-38-46 in 70 games) but he would have had more if it weren't for his offensively starved team.

Getting a forward like Ritchie with the 6th overall and a few young players in a Kesler package to Anaheim deal (Etem? Silfverberg? Vatanen? Theodore?) should lead us to drafting a blue chip defenseman with the 10th.

Ritchie - Horvat - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Etem - Jensen

Gaunce, Fox, Cassels, Lain, Archibald, Grenier to fill the bottom six.

Edler - Vatanen

Fleury - Tanev

shmexy

http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Fleury-Draft-Spotlight-Feb-14.pdf

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/11/2014-nhl-draft-profile-10-haydn-fleury/

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2014/2/5/5384570/haydn-fleury-nhl-draft-2014-profile-video

I was thinking the same thing. It would be nice to add a real solid defense prospect to the pool. Haven't really had one since bourdon.

That being said, getting the tenth pick means Kesler trade. I would way rather send him to Pittsburgh if pouliot is in the deal. He is a real blue chip dman, I feel Fluery is not on quite his level.

Kapanen was being absolutely revered by Smashian and then he switched to Ehlers on an absolute dime. I put my faith in his opinion as he watches a lot of junior hockey.

Another poster here specifically knows someone close to Virtanen and says he does have a bit of an attitude, as well team 1040 said his reception from Calgarians on twitter wasn't entirely positive.

Havn't heard a word about Ritchie besides consistency issues, as well his older brother clearly gives him advice on how to be a pro.

I take it with a grain of salt but when the decison was already close you look at all factors. Including rumours from the abotsford grape vine

Changing my preference to Ehlers was more about Ehlers than Kapanen. (And it wasn't about attitude or anything concerns like that with KK) I still like Kapanen.

My take on attitude when your looking at the ten best players in the draft is it really has to be taken with a grain of salt. We're talking about kids first of all, teenagers that play hockey, they all have a certain cockiness to them. Also when your looking at the top ten, the best of the best, they have been the best player on their team since they were 5 years old. These guys have been the star since day one and as a child that is something they lean on for status. I'm the top dog, I'm the best, it's only natural to feel and think that way.

I know some kids are a little more humble, and that's great but don't count the others out because they've never experienced a situation where they're not looked upon as the best by their coaches, teammates and opponents.

I really think it's just a part of growing up as not only a hockey player but a human being. When u have all the talent in the world and your way better than most kids your age, it's bound to get to your head a little.

I just think attitude gets blown way outta proportion. They really are all kids at the end of the day.

No doubt, they all have growing up to do.

I don't understand why people don't want the BPA in nylander.... it has been said that he is the most likely to play first line...... sure he might bust but eventually Vancouver needs to take a risk... can't always go with the big less talented players because we don't want to take the risk.

Canuck prospects with size:

Kassian

Horvat

Gaunce

Jensen

Greiner

Archibald

Lain

Canuck prospects with pure talent:

Shinkaruk

So with this in mind why do people think we need size in this draft? sure you need size in hockey but you also need players that are going to focus purely on offense and get you goals which this team desperately needs right now. I think the pick obviously needs to be a talented player rather than a big body or we are gonna end up being one boring team to watch and team that can't score that many goals.

the player the nucks should take with the 6th overall pick imo is Nylander. He is showing that he has the offensive talent that can absolutely dominate games. Also he has been playing against men already while still getting good points.. he is a can't miss.

All this talk of attitude problems. You know who else has an attitude problem?

Hunter Shinkaruk.

I went to school with him in medicine hat and everyone agrees he's just a ginormous asshat who tries to get every girl to sleep with him.

But you know what? At draft day, people said he was one of the best mannered and mature kids there, and he seemed very humble. That just shows anyone can hide their true nature. Of course you will appear your best for an interview or when you're on TV.

All I'm saying is it's useless to say who has an attitude problem and who doesn't because until you actually meet them and get to know them, you really don't know.

I don't understand why people don't want the BPA in nylander.... it has been said that he is the most likely to play first line...... sure he might bust but eventually Vancouver needs to take a risk... can't always go with the big less talented players because we don't want to take the risk.

Canuck prospects with size:

Kassian

Horvat

Gaunce

Jensen

Greiner

Archibald

Lain

Canuck prospects with pure talent:

Shinkaruk

So with this in mind why do people think we need size in this draft? sure you need size in hockey but you also need players that are going to focus purely on offense and get you goals which this team desperately needs right now. I think the pick obviously needs to be a talented player rather than a big body or we are gonna end up being one boring team to watch and team that can't score that many goals.

the player the nucks should take with the 6th overall pick imo is Nylander. He is showing that he has the offensive talent that can absolutely dominate games. Also he has been playing against men already while still getting good points.. he is a can't miss.

I think its a mistake drafting based on team needs rather than BPA. At least half of those guys will probably not make the NHL or have any real impact.

Nylander isn't the obvious best player available. He may have the best puck skills but Richie or Virtanen are easily as good of players with different skill sets, they just happen to be big as well.

Nylander could be a great pick but looking at our team or our prospects shouldn't decide who to pick.

Hunter Shinkaruk.

I went to school with him in medicine hat and everyone agrees he's just a ginormous asshat who tries to get every girl to sleep with him.

But you know what? At draft day, people said he was one of the best mannered and mature kids there, and he seemed very humble. That just shows anyone can hide their true nature. Of course you will appear your best for an interview or when you're on TV.

All I'm saying is it's useless to say who has an attitude problem and who doesn't because until you actually meet them and get to know them, you really don't know.

This is funny stuff. I love hearing the inside scoop from people who know guys personally.

That being said being a clown or partier or prick didn't stop guys like patty Kane or Corry Perry from being elite NHL players.

Hunter Shinkaruk.

Oh so he was acting his age? Most prospects at that age are cocky as hell in fact it's probably normal.

RNH, Johansen and Shea Theodore were thebsame

Pretty much every guy in junior hockey is a dick to some degree. Guys that play high level rep hockey too. It's just the nature of hockey players. Most become a little more humble down the road.

Growing up in Prince George I'd see the cougars around all the time and they all thought they were the coolest guys in town. There's an arrogance to hockey players in general and I watched them get beat up a handful of times because of it haha. It's just in their nature.

Virtanen's attitude problems are a myth, of course. I like his cockiness. He's already dominating games at 17. Wait until he's 18. His speed and shot are A-rated and his skills are more NHL-transferable than any of the flashy euros. The only valid knock on him is that he's a shoot-first player and that he doesn't love the cycle. However, if you watch him play you'd know that he can pass just fine, and while I've seen him play the cycle game just fine, of course the perfection of the cycle game can be coached. Not hard to grasp.

The Canucks have been absolutely thirsting for this kind of WHL skill and power combo since Linden declined. It would be just skilly if we passed on him for a perimeter-style floater or another Kassian. This kid is the real deal, folks.

If Dal Colle, Reinhart, Bennett, or Ekblad don't fall to us, pick up Jake Virtanen. He won't disappoint.

I was thinking the same thing. It would be nice to add a real solid defense prospect to the pool. Haven't really had one since bourdon.

That being said, getting the tenth pick means Kesler trade. I would way rather send him to Pittsburgh if pouliot is in the deal. He is a real blue chip dman, I feel Fluery is not on quite his level.

Agreed on Fluery. I don't think he has quite the upside for us to take him so highly. There might even be a forward still available I'd take over him if we did get the 10th overall. Pouliot is a step closer and has legit top end offensive talent so I'd prefer to get a similar deal from Pittsburgh with him included.

Have I said "Go Columbus" yet? B)

I think its a mistake drafting based on team needs rather than BPA. At least half of those guys will probably not make the NHL or have any real impact.

Nylander isn't the obvious best player available. He may have the best puck skills but Richie or Virtanen are easily as good of players with different skill sets, they just happen to be big as well.

Nylander could be a great pick but looking at our team or our prospects shouldn't decide who to pick.

All other things being equal, you do need to look at what the prospect pool is lacking. Especially if you're comfortable with picking either player but have a fair amount of one type and not a lot of the other.

Virtanen's attitude problems are a myth, of course. ...

And you know this how (and can also say Nylander's rumoured attitude issues aren't a myth)?

While I agree that for the most part players that are good enough to be considered in the top 10 will generally be a bit cocky, but I don't know that any of us have the inside track on the players available to say the rumours about one are a myth and the other's are fact. That's why there's a combine and player interviews prior to the draft though.

Home / Hockey / Five Minutes With Top Shelf Prospect Nick Ritchie
Five Minutes With Top Shelf Prospect Nick Ritchie
Updated: February 22, 2014

Nick-Ritchie.jpg

Nick Ritchie is one of the top prospects for this June’s NHL draft. In early February we ranked him at number seven in our draft rankings, and he’s a player who has been on the rise all season. Here is what I had to say about Ritchie a few weeks ago.

TopShelfProspects1-300x118.jpgNick Ritchie, LW, Peterborough Petes, (6’2″ 215 lbs): The brother of Dallas Stars draft pick, and 2013 WJC Team Canada member Brett Ritchie, Nick is finding his own way as a power forward prospect winning gold with Team Canada at the 2013 IIHF Under 18 tournament, and again at this summer’s Ivan Hlinka tournament. Due to shoulder issues, he played in just 41 games last season, but managed to put up 35 points on an understaffed Peterborough team. He seems to have answered the questions about any lingering injury issues with 23 goals and 48 points in 42 games this season. A power forward prospect who finishes his checks, and plays a very straight line game, taking the puck right to the front of the net and not caring if he has to go through a defenceman to do it. He has a powerful skating stride, and excellent balance, but could stand to work on his speed as it is just average (for this draft class) right now. He loves to stand in front of the net and has the quick, soft hands necessary to score on rebounds and deflections. Ritchie might have the best wrist shot in this draft class. It is tremendously powerful, and features a very good release. It can be in the back of the net before the goaltender even knows that he’s shot the puck.

In an update to that, Ritchie is now at 32 goals and 62 points in 51 games. He’s been on quiet the streak with nine goals and 14 points in his last nine games.

Yesterday, I had another opportunity to watch him live as his Peterborough Petes team was in Mississauga facing the Steelheads. The Petes won 4-0 and Ritchie scored a second period goal utilizing that tremendous wrist shot and release from the top of the slot. I can’t say enough about that release, it is tremendously quick, and might be at an NHL level right now. He gets the puck off so quickly, and it was in the back of the net before anyone in the rink knew what happened, including Steelheads’ goalie Spencer Martin. Ritchie also impressed me with his strength on the boards, as he was overpowering Steelheads defencemen in board battles. One other thing I noticed about Ritchie last night was that his first step quickness is also very good. While he is merely average when we talk about straight line speed and skating a long distance, he is very agile and has a great first step which helps him beat other players to loose pucks in the offensive zone.

After the game I had the opportunity to catch up with Ritchie and he was nice enough to answer a few quick questions for me.

LWOS: Hi Nick, thanks for taking the time to speak to us at Last Word.

Ritchie: No problem, thank you.

LWOS: How has coming up in a hockey family, with an older brother already having gone through the OHL, and drafted by the Dallas Stars helped you going through your draft season?

Ritchie: It’s helped quite a bit. Anytime you have someone to lean on for stuff like that, its pretty cool and he’s gone through the things I’m starting to go through now and its great to have him to talk to.

LWOS: You scored a nice goal tonight, can you take us through that play?

Ritchie: We had a clean entry out of our zone, and (Eric) Cornel drove the net and left the puck for me. I let a pretty good shot go, and it went in.

LWOS: Your team made a trade at mid-season to bring in Hunter Garlant from Guelph. He’s been playing with you on the top line, and it looks like the two of you have some immediate chemistry. Can you tell me about working with your new linemate?

Ritchie: It’s been great. Ever since he came over its been awesome. We’ve really been on a roll since the move and we are hoping that continues heading into the playoffs here.

LWOS: You certainly have size and play a physical game out there. Is there any NHL player you are a fan of, or try to model your game after?

Ritchie: I dont think there is any one particular guy, I just try to look at a few of the bigger guys and take a little bit from each of them. I watch guys like Jamie Benn, Ryan Getzlaf, Milan Lucic, they are great players who use their body well.

LWOS: You have some international hockey experience with two gold medals last summer in the Under 18 and the Ivan Hlinka tournament. Can you tell us what a gold medal game is like, and leave us a prediction for Sunday’s Olympic Game between Canada and Sweden?

Ritchie: Obviously the level I played at isn’t even close to the same stage as what we will see Sunday. Still its a one-game thing and you have to put it all out there. I like the way Canada has played so far and I predict that they will get it done and bring home the gold.

LWOS: Thanks for doing this Nick, and good luck down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Ritchie: Thank you for having me.

You can follow the Peterborough Petes as they head down the stretch of the OHL season at their website and on their twitter account – @PetesOHLhockey. You can follow Nick Ritchie on twitter - @ritchboiii

Nice, i also found this the other day

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=581632

Archived