The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Isles have their pick on the market as well, and what's better for them: another prospect or something that can help fill holes for them right now? I've got a proposal around that: [Proposal] Vancouver and New York Islanders

If the NYI move their pick, it’s for more immediate help than what you offered. They already lost their 2015 pick, they are going to want to get a player to help them make the push for playoffs next season and I don’t see Tanev being that player.

All you really offered was a prospect swap.

Strome and their 2014 5th overal could attract some major players. EDM, CGY, would jump at the chance for another top 5 pick. Edm has more to offer. Jet's and Kane might be interested as well

Imagine EDM trading a deal around Yak or Gagner, then drafting Draisaitl and Ritchie. Major size bump to their second line

Future top 6 of

Hall Nudge Eberle

Perron Draisaitl Ritchie

I REALLY like Shink...I don't really want to give him up personally.

Even if it meant getting Strome and Bennet or Dal Colle with the Islanders' pick?

If the NYI move their pick, it’s for more immediate help than what you offered. They already lost their 2015 pick, they are going to want to get a player to help them make the push for playoffs next season and I don’t see Tanev being that player.

All you really offered was a prospect swap.

Strome and their 2014 5th overal could attract some major players. EDM, CGY, would jump at the chance for another top 5 pick. Edm has more to offer. Jet's and Kane might be interested as well

Imagine EDM trading a deal around Yak or Gagner, then drafting Draisaitl and Ritchie. Major size bump to their second line

Yakupov could play the left side for them, that's true, but they don't need yet another center and it doesn't help them with their goaltending or having Hamonic as their only right handed D.

Is a better package out there for the Islanders? Maybe, but I'm not sure many teams would give that up for a 5th overall in the draft that might get forgotten between two very good drafts.

Even if it meant getting Strome and Bennet or Dal Colle with the Islanders' pick?

Yakupov could play the left side for them, that's true, but they don't need yet another center and it doesn't help them with their goaltending or having Hamonic as their only right handed D.

Is a better package out there for the Islanders? Maybe, but I'm not sure many teams would give that up for a 5th overall in the draft that might get forgotten between two very good drafts.

They have Halak for four years, goaltending should be fine.

But say a deal of Yak for 2014 5th overall +

NYI will still have strome to use as trade bait for a D if needed. Griffin looks ready to step up this year as well. or they can get a UFA signing. I don't think Tanev fits the immediate impact that they need right now.

Seeing as the NYI pick is prolly the most intriguing to us all, http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2014/5/28/5757422/my-2014-nhl-mock-draft

Nice to see a mock from their perspective with their fans comments too, lots of comments are pro Nylander and Ehlers, not much MDC chatter, most comments are all in love with Bennett and Draisaitl but not thinking either is a possibility.

There is a serious chance Nylander does go top 5, his U18 performance has drawn so much attention, the fact he played with men all year and put up numbers, his name, plus apparently in his interviews he is just exuding confidence, which in my opinion is powerful to leave lasting impressions on GMs and scouts.

I am feeling the: The Vancouver Canucks are Proud to select with the 6th overall pick in the 2014 draft from the Oshawa Generals, Michael Dal Colle.

Jeff (7th round) is one of my best friends here in Maple Ridge!

I'm seeing him tonight in fact. LOL! What a coincidence.

Kass is 6ft 3 and has a huge frame but plays at 215. Ritchie might end up being faster at 220 or 215 . Lets see how fast he is first at 226.

For sure, everyone carriers their weight differently. Can't wait to hear what the combine results show.

Kass is 6ft 3 and has a huge frame but plays at 215. Ritchie might end up being faster at 220 or 215 . Lets see how fast he is first at 226.

At 18 I was 6'2" 200 pounds and probably a little pudgy. I couldn't imagine a guy having 25 more pounds of muscle at that age. The combine results will show everything. Lets hope he is not at the bottom of the cardio test and that he is in the top 5 of the strength tests.

They have Halak for four years, goaltending should be fine.

But say a deal of Yak for 2014 5th overall +

NYI will still have strome to use as trade bait for a D if needed. Griffin looks ready to step up this year as well. or they can get a UFA signing. I don't think Tanev fits the immediate impact that they need right now.

Halak, who's had injury problems, and no backup. They don't appear to be interested in bringing back Nabokov, Nilsson has left for the KHL, and their other option is Poulin. That's not a lot to get excited about if Halak struggles at all shouldering all the load himself.

Yak alone for the 5th makes more sense, and with Snow you can never be sure if he sweetens the deal rather than a straight up swap to make it worthwhile for Edmonton - but then he could well be happy to make a deal like I proposed. They could certainly look for a backup in free agency and try and find a right handed D man that can crack their lineup as well.

Reinhart is a lefty, as is DeHaan and Donovan. Maybe Pokka steps up as their next best right hander, but Pulock isn't ready quite yet most likely as their other RH prospect. Tanev is already a steady 2nd pairing D man on many teams so I wouldn't overlook it as an option considering what they have now.

Thanks for the link. Interesting read. I had never heard of Redline before so I went and checked out their mock draft right before the 2013 class were picked.

http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/RLR-Mock-Draft-June-2013.pdf

They didnt get a single pick in the top 10 right. Zero. Nor top 20 I believe. That has got to be a record.

Thanks for the link. Interesting read. I had never heard of Redline before so I went and checked out their mock draft right before the 2013 class were picked.

http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/RLR-Mock-Draft-June-2013.pdf

They didnt get a single pick in the top 10 right. Zero. Nor top 20 I believe. That has got to be a record.

The only player they got correct in the first round is Sean Monahan to Calgary.

The Isles have their pick on the market as well, and what's better for them: another prospect or something that can help fill holes for them right now? I've got a proposal around that: [Proposal] Vancouver and New York Islanders

Honestly, I would be more comfortable trading them Gaunce, Edler, Mallet, Markstrom and our 2nd and 3rd in that trade. While I wouldn't mind losing Shinkaruk for Strome I think for the Isles gaining a C prospect Mallet a solid D man in Edler that solid G prospect to groom behind Halak AND having a 2nd and 3rd in the early picks would off set losing a potential premiere center in Strome and a 5th.

Imagine the following in the event of that rumoured Kesler trade.

Van picks 5th 6th 10th and 24th....

Easily and HAPPILY trade up with 2 of those picks

Honestly, I would be more comfortable trading them Gaunce, Edler, Mallet, Markstrom and our 2nd and 3rd in that trade. While I wouldn't mind losing Shinkaruk for Strome I think for the Isles gaining a C prospect Mallet a solid D man in Edler that solid G prospect to groom behind Halak AND having a 2nd and 3rd in the early picks would off set losing a potential premiere center in Strome and a 5th.

Imagine the following in the event of that rumoured Kesler trade.

Van picks 5th 6th 10th and 24th....

Easily and HAPPILY trade up with 2 of those picks

It's something that I would be 100% on board with, but I'm surprised with how many people actually think that Edler would waive to NYI. It's just wishful thinking...

Archived