The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its kind of an awful situation for Benning because there are so many options but so few sureties. Ritchie, Virtanen, Nylander, Ehlers, Dal Colle, Perlini, etc. Odds are that one of them will have a real solid career. But which one? Its impossible to know at this point, but it will be easy for others to claim that they knew all along that Benning should have drafted so and so.

The worst will be the people who liked the one that makes an impact in the NHL the soonest too.

I don't think so bud. It will jiust start some new ones about something else lol.

That's true :lol:

We must get Reinhart. I think Tanev, 6th overall, Hansen will get it done. Then we trade Kesler for a young blue chipper, a roster player, and a high pick(2014). Anaheim has the 10th. We can get a good player there. There's going to be a bidding war for Kesler because he's the best centerman available right now. Whatever we lose to get Reinhart we'll get back with a Kesler deal.

Reinhart is my first choice. I like Nylander at 6th and Fleury if we down up to tenth.

But at the same time, Benning and his scouts have seen a lot more than I have, so I won't have anything to say if they pick someone else.

"They are big, heavy teams, so when we talk to our scouting staff one of our mandates is 'Let's get a little bit bigger, a little more rugged, so we can play both styles,'" Benning said. "So we can play a skill, skating style when need be, but when it's a rugged, physical game; we can play that game too." - Jim Benning

Traslation: We're passing on Nylander and Ehlers.

Haha, you may be correct that we don't choose those players, but it's not because of this one random interview. Wanting to have a bigger team doesn't insure that you only draft bigger players with every draft pick you have, that is just silly.

We must get Reinhart. I think Tanev, 6th overall, Hansen will get it done. Then we trade Kesler for a young blue chipper, a roster player, and a high pick(2014). Anaheim has the 10th. We can get a good player there. There's going to be a bidding war for Kesler because he's the best centerman available right now. Whatever we lose to get Reinhart we'll get back with a Kesler deal.

I like the way this looks, especially if that blue chipper becomes Pouliot and that replaces Tanev but as a PMD.

"They are big, heavy teams, so when we talk to our scouting staff one of our mandates is 'Let's get a little bit bigger, a little more rugged, so we can play both styles,'" Benning said. "So we can play a skill, skating style when need be, but when it's a rugged, physical game; we can play that game too." - Jim Benning

Traslation: We're passing on Nylander and Ehlers.

See the thing is your just cherry picking, he mentioned that the bottom two lines should be more rugged etc. With the first two lines going for more skill and speed game likeChicago.

This video shows that he want's to bring the high tempo skill speed game back to the team.

After a couple months nearly of going back and forth I think I would have to take Nylander at 6 if everything plays out the way it should.

His high end skill and especially at C with the option of starting at wing is exactly what our prospect pool could use at this point.

I'll trust whatever JB decides though.

I'm thinking when Benning or in fact Linden talk about heavy or big boy hockey they're thinking about the 3rd and 4th lines. They understand to play fast skilled hockey you need skill, and that will not exclude smaller skilled player, but if you can get a big fast skilled player then that's a bonus and they'll be looking in the future for those type of players. When Vcr drafts at 6th I'm confident they'll understand this is a are moment for Vcr drafting that high and will want skill first and fore most.

When Boston won the cup, four of their top five point getters were David Krejci, Brad Marchand, Michael Ryder, and Mark Recchi. Not one of those guys weighed over 200 pounds.

But no, I'm sure Benning learned nothing from that experience and is going to use the 6th overall pick to draft a guy who can fill out the third line.

My dream scenario:

Canucks trade Kesler for the 10th, 24th, and Shea Theodore.

The first 5 picks goes as follows:

1: Ekblad

2: Reinhart

3: Draisaitl

4: Bennett

5: Nylander

We draft Dal Colle at 6th.

7: Kapanen

8: Ritchie

9: Ehlers

We draft Virtanen at 10th.

11: Perlini

12: McCann

13. Fleury

14. Fabbri

15. Tuch

16. Milano

17. Fiala

18. Barbashev

19. Kempe

20. Larkin

21. Pastrnak

22.Sanheim

23. Scherbak

We draft McKeown at 24.

25. Bleackley

26. Goldobin

27. Demko

28. Vrana

29. Kamanev

30. MacInnis

Canucks take Lemieux at 36 and Vanier at 66.

Prospects tournie roster:

Dal Colle - Horvat - Virtanen

Shinkaruk - Gaunce - Fox

Lemieux - Cassels - Kenins

4th line of camp invites

McKeown - Theodore

Cederholm - Subban

Vanier - McEneny

Eriksson

Cannata

what up?

My dream scenario:

13. Fleury

14. Fabbri

15. Tuch

16. Milano

17. Fiala

18. Barbashev

19. Kempe

20. Larkin

21. Pastrnak

22.Sanheim

23. Scherbak

We draft McKeown at 24.

25. Bleackley

26. Goldobin

27. Demko

28. Vrana

29. Kamanev

30. MacInnis

Dal Colle - Horvat - Virtanen (the don't F*ck around line)

Shinkaruk - Gaunce - Fox

4th line of camp invites

McKeown - Theodore

Cederholm - Subban

Vanier - McEneny

Eriksson

Cannata

what up?

move edler to TBL for ____ and 19th Overall

trade 19th and 24 for 8 and take ehlers

My dream scenario:

13. Fleury

14. Fabbri

15. Tuch

16. Milano

17. Fiala

18. Barbashev

19. Kempe

20. Larkin

21. Pastrnak

22.Sanheim

23. Scherbak

We draft McKeown at 24.

25. Bleackley

26. Goldobin

27. Demko

28. Vrana

29. Kamanev

30. MacInnis

Shinkaruk - Gaunce - Fox

4th line of camp invites

McKeown - Theodore

Cederholm - Subban

Vanier - McEneny

Eriksson

Cannata

what up?

I like it. Fingers crossed!

When Boston won the cup, four of their top five point getters were David Krejci, Brad Marchand, Michael Ryder, and Mark Recchi. Not one of those guys weighed over 200 pounds.

But no, I'm sure Benning learned nothing from that experience and is going to use the 6th overall pick to draft a guy who can fill out the third line.

You don't rea well do you or atleast youdon't comprehend the point being made I quote myself here because you obviously missed it

When Vcr drafts at 6th I'm confident they'll understand this is a rare moment for Vcr drafting that high and will want skill first and fore most.

and by the way Boston also had Chara, Lucic, Boychuck, McQuaid, Thornton doing the heavy lifting and allowing the skill players to play...it's a team sport. That series actually turned around when Horton was injured and Thornton came in.

Would really be hoping that Tanev stays and it is Garrison that goes back to Florida.

We will see

You don't rea well do you or atleast youdon't comprehend the point being made I quote myself here because you obviously missed it

and by the way Boston also had Chara, Lucic, Boychuck, McQuaid, Thornton doing the heavy lifting and allowing the skill players to play...it's a team sport. That series actually turned around when Horton was injured and Thornton came in.

Why are you assuming I was responding to your post? What's more, the posts that I have made would actually line up nicely with your post as I have been making the argument that Benning wants skill on the top two lines and speed and size in the bottom six.

Don't know why you're being such an asshole or talking about how I don't comprehend the point being made. Don't be so narcissistic and assume that every post being made is a direct response to something you have written.

With the playoff landscape changing to the 4 conference set up I see zero chance that JB trades Kesler to the same division that he will be battling with every year. Unfortunately the Ducks are the only team Kesler would go to that has a top 10 pick. Translation: Dont get your hopes up for 2 top 10 picks this year.

With the playoff landscape changing to the 4 conference set up I see zero chance that JB trades Kesler to the same division that he will be battling with every year. Unfortunately the Ducks are the only team Kesler would go to that has a top 10 pick. Translation: Dont get your hopes up for 2 top 10 picks this year.

A three-way trade is the solution to that problem...

My dream scenario:

We draft McKeown at 24.

Shinkaruk - Gaunce - Fox

4th line of camp invites

McKeown - Theodore

Cederholm - Subban

Vanier - McEneny

what up?

Pretty much what I'd like to see as well -- MDC and grabbing local boys Virtanen and Theodore. However, MDC should be on the wing with Cassels, no?

Pretty much what I'd like to see as well -- MDC and grabbing local boys Virtanen and Theodore. However, MDC should be on the wing with Cassels, no?

Ya I could see that working.

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Virtanen

Dal Colle - Cassels - Fox

Lemeiux - Gaunce - Kenins

Originally I wanted to keep Gaunce and Fox together, but MDC with Cassels and Shinkaruk with Horvat works too. This is fun. A D pairing of McKeown and Theodore would be sweet.

I think we should show some attention to the USNTDP, they have developed some nice prospects and players consistently like J.T Miller, J.T Compher, Connor Carrick, Riley Barber, Pat Sieloff, John Gibson, Patrick Kane, JVR, Stefan Matteau, Reid Boucher, Jacob Trouba, Nicolas Kerdiles. These are some impressive prospects and other than Kane and JVR this is only the last 2 drafts.

Milano, Tuch, Eichel, Larkin, Dougherty are some kids in this draft who also are looking like future good hockey players. This isn't a fluke from this national development team, they are growing these players into future NHLers, the Milano-Eichel-Tuch line dominated the U-18 because of the development team.

Ryan Hitchcock, Anders Bjork, Shane Gersich, Brandon Fortunado, Ryan Collins are some possible players going into the 3rd round and beyond and I think we should take em if they do.

16 more days till the draft.

Archived