The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

Here's hoping Dupres isn't part of the deal, if it happens. He looked not very ready.

Despres is a very overrated defenseman IMO. His stock rose after playing with Huberdeau on the Sea Dogs, but since then I haven't seen much from him that screams number 1 D-man.

He should be a decent top 4, but I don't see him being a top 2.

If we trade for a D prospect it has to be a home run. Without an elite puck mover, it doesn't matter how much offense we have, we'll still struggle to score.

If they're interested in selling a Kesler trade as somehow being a positive, for part of the return the Canucks might want to go the 1st round pick route, even though it's a shallow draft, just because everyone overrates picks and pretends the return could 'potentially' be great. Then they'll draft some redundant midget and sell him as the steal of the draft. Lol.

Team becomes a yawner to tank for Connor?

Hey, aren't you the tinfoil hat guy that says all the elite, in their prime, players' Exoduses from Canadian teams are really just an elaborate scheme for them to land on Bettman's pick for the Cup (Roy to COL, etc)?

What better *wink wink* deal for Bettman than a Kesler to Pittsburgh trade resulting in Vancouver finally getting the #1 overall pick in the right year, via a "lottery"?;)

That's such a joke of an offer it's not even funny. They'd have to add 1st & 2nd rounders in 2015 for us to even entertain this.

Guessing it's no coincidence 1 hr after the horrific 'apparent' offer was released in Pitts, Mckenzie tweets Canucks'll hold onto Kes till summer if their demands aren't met.

Maybe we should start stockpiling kids that know each other well. Get Jenner in a huge package (including 2015 1st) for Kesler and you negate the loss of Kesler's insane compete level. Next get Laughton in an Edler for Simmonds package (including a 2015 1st) and you have the Jensen, Cassels, Jenner, and Laughton that all played together in 2011/2012.

They did? That'd be one stocked reunion. Jenner is interesting. Good underlying #'s for a rookie. Do u know if he plays C in CBJ? Decent footspeed?

Pouliot's IQ is off the charts. He's the best defenseman in junior right now outside of Ekblad IMO.

He'll play a complete defensive game like Tanev, plus he can move the puck and put up points.

Ask any scout, and there's not a whole lot of "maybe" with him. I dunno about you, but I can wait a couple seasons for a stud puck moving defenseman. You can't win cups without them.

Ya, in all honesty - I know nothing about him except what Pronman wrote. And he says Poulits defense is suspect. Plus he's still 2 yrs out. Defenseman seem to be a lot harder to 'project' than forwards. I just don't see trading a tough mins centre (Kes) for a d-man who's 2 yrs out when you're stacked at D. And then have no tough mins centre to replace him.

Canucks were 60 mins away from winning a Cup without one of those guys. By the time Poulit is ready, 'if' he projects like some say he will - Sedins will be retired and this team is in re-build mode.

Retweeted by

The reported potential returns for Ryan Kesler from Pittsburgh aren't even close to what Kesler is worth. Not even close.

You're going to think I'm crazy, but if I'm giving up one of best two-way centers in NHL, I want Neal or Letang.

Don't know who this guy is, but I agree with his 1st tweet.. the second, well I think he's off.

A deal of:

Brandon Sutter + Beau Bennett + Derrick Pouliot + 1st Round in 2014 for Kesler, would be hard to turn down.

That is a deal I would do.

Or

Kesler and Lack for Clouts, Simmonds, 1st, morin

Ya, in all honesty - I know nothing about him except what Pronman wrote. And he says Poulits defense is suspect. Plus he's still 2 yrs out. Defenseman seem to be a lot harder to 'project' than forwards. I just don't see trading a tough mins centre (Kes) for a d-man who's 2 yrs out when you're stacked at D. And then have no tough mins centre to replace him.

Canucks were 60 mins away from winning a Cup without one of those guys. By the time Poulit is ready, 'if' he projects like some say he will - Sedins will be retired and this team is in re-build mode.

He will need to work on parts of his game like any young player. But his offensive abilities are world class without question. I see him being one of the best skating defenseman in the NHL when he enters his prime.

There is always going to be some risk when trading for unproven players, even if we trade for a forward. We can't have both. Either we trade Kesler one for one for a top proven forward, or we're going to have to get a few less proven players. Edler is the player I see us trading to replace our center depth anyways.

And I would say Ehrhoff was an elite puck moving defenseman that season, so I don't agree that we were without one. This season we're without one and they can't score to save their lives.

Guessing it's no coincidence 1 hr after the horrific 'apparent' offer was released in Pitts, Mckenzie tweets Canucks'll hold onto Kes till summer if their demands aren't met.

They did? That'd be one stocked reunion. Jenner is interesting. Good underlying #'s for a rookie. Do u know if he plays C in CBJ? Decent footspeed?

He's been playing wing in CBJ but that's pretty much par for the course with raw rookies, especially with solid two-way centres like Johansen, Dubinsky and Anisimov on the team. His foot speed isn't the fastest but he always seemed to be a puck hound on the WJC teams at least (where he played centre on a line with Kassian & Connelly one year) and gritty as heck. Won most puck battles I saw him in.

Retweeted by

The reported potential returns for Ryan Kesler from Pittsburgh aren't even close to what Kesler is worth. Not even close.

You're going to think I'm crazy, but if I'm giving up one of best two-way centers in NHL, I want Neal or Letang.

Don't know who this guy is, but I agree with his 1st tweet.. the second, well I think he's off.

Truth!

Ken Campbell, senior writer for the Hockey News says Kesler is one of the top 2-way forwards in the NHL and would give Pittsburgh the nest 1 2 3 punch in the league. He further says the Pittsburgh offer isn't even close to what Kesler is worth. If Pittsburgh is serious, they need to offer Letang or Neale.

I hope Gillis is listening.

Ken Campbell, senior writer for the Hockey News says Kesler is one of the top 2-way forwards in the NHL and would give Pittsburgh the nest 1 2 3 punch in the league. He further says the Pittsburgh offer isn't even close to what Kesler is worth. If Pittsburgh is serious, they need to offer Letang or Neale.

How does Neal or Letang help us in a rebuild?

We need to go younger.

Unless they think we still have a chance this season, I don't see Gillis being interested in either of those two. Not to mention Letang was put on LTIR today.

Give me a break on that last part, but the rest is true. Pitts needs to put more on the table.

I would wait and trade him in the summer. Lets say after the deadline Kesler goes on a tear where he pilling up points and gets the Canucks into the playoffs. Then ( its a long shot) the Canucks win the cup and he wins the Hart Ross and a second Selke imagine what would his value be after that.

Archived