The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] via the Score: Penguins made a trade offer for Kesler...

Pouliot.

Talent Analysis

Pouliot is an exceptionally mobile offensive defenseman with elite vision and puck-distribution. He has a blistering shot from the point, can transition the puck with his head up, and can play a lot of minutes in all situations. He is not a physically imposing presence on the ice, but is extremely strong and not shy from battling for the puck in corners. He possesses a strong, wide base and is difficult to knock off the puck. He is also an explosive skater who is able to quickly rush the puck up ice.

Outside of getting stronger and faster, which is something that practically all prospects need to do, there is little in Pouliot’s game that could be considered a weakness. He will need to continue to improve his defensive play, but his game will always be predicated around creating offensive chances and taking some degree of risk.

Hmmm...isn't this what we have been looking for in a D man?

Throw in a 25 year old 15-20 goal scoring center....I dunno guys. I like it.

i agree with the person who says that if we trade a star, we should be getting a star player back.

all of these proposals for sutter, a 1st (late pick), and a prospect - please.

it should be a star player (roster), a 1st pick, and a blue chip prospect for a selke winning forward, who brings intangibles to a team. Kes isn't going to come cheap. and whoever wants him, will have to pay up to get him.

Personally, i'm torn about whether to trade him or not. he's been a warrior for us, but if we don't trade him, i also get the sense that he won't resign with the club once his contract is up, and he becomes a UFA.

That doesn't really make sense. Kesler isn't Crosby and won't net you a star, blue chip prospect and 1st. If he is traded for another premier player it's a 1 for 1 swap and that doesn't really help us. Trading him is accepting this team can't compete with the best right now and retooling to peak again sooner than later. You trade him for a premier player and were in the same situation we are with him. Declining and unable to compete with whoever we get in the trade.. Also that player leaves around the same time Kesler would because we continued to slide downhill.

Trading him is to get a package of youngsters that can be our next Kesler. So let's say Sutter maata 2nd makes us worse right now, it makes us better in a few years when maata is blossoming into a great top pairing dman and sutter is a premier 3rd line centre. Not to mention another 2nd round prospect in the system.. This is a better scenario than turning into the Calgary flames

Now you got a young stud on the blue line and can afford to sell another dman or 2 in the near future. With sutter on board you can trade gaunce and gain another asset, or keep gaunce and trade sutter for another prospect.

Basically getting a package for Kesler sets us up to be able to afford young star up front. With maata/pouliot, sutter and 1st/2nd we can afford to create a package this summer to get a young star centreman. Edler straight up might get it alone or edler ++ might get you someone unreal.

Pouliot.

Talent Analysis

Pouliot is an exceptionally mobile offensive defenseman with elite vision and puck-distribution. He has a blistering shot from the point, can transition the puck with his head up, and can play a lot of minutes in all situations. He is not a physically imposing presence on the ice, but is extremely strong and not shy from battling for the puck in corners. He possesses a strong, wide base and is difficult to knock off the puck. He is also an explosive skater who is able to quickly rush the puck up ice.

Outside of getting stronger and faster, which is something that practically all prospects need to do, there is little in Pouliot’s game that could be considered a weakness. He will need to continue to improve his defensive play, but his game will always be predicated around creating offensive chances and taking some degree of risk.

I just watched pouliot live recently and he was pretty damn spectacular. If there's a first in there I'd be jumping on it.

That's my take on it, although what kind of other D prospect we'd get is pretty debatable. If we do convince them to move Maatta, then I don't think we get much more on top of Sutter, maybe a 2nd (which would be around 55-60 overall).

That's fine with me yeah. Since Pittsburg was the one who forwarded that offer to us I have a bad feeling that both Pouliot and Suttor are busts, or at least bust'ish. I would rather want one sure thing than 2 maybes. Maata is already a good NHL Dman at 19. Pouliot is in the WHL at 20??

Definitely need a better player coming back in return for a star player. Quantity almost never works out compared to quality.

You can fill roster spots around an elite player fairly easily. Decent players get more minutes and improve, young guys get a chance for more meaningful roles, mid-range UFAs are always available. If you get a top player, it trickles down in your lineup making everything better. If we got a top line player, then Burrows gets shuffled to the 2nd line... maybe Higgins back to the 3rd line, Kassian to the 4th. Suddenly you have strengthened every line by inserting one player.

A team like Buffalo could afford to take on two solid players in return for one of their top assets because they have so many holes to fill. For us, we have plenty of guys who fit in the roster kind of in the space between the 2nd and 3rd lines (great 3rd liners... but only good enough for temporary 2nd line work).

This is why I say we wait until the draft to trade Kesler, teams won't be in a playoff race and they will be more willing to part with key roster players. Why should we simply accept the pieces that have no impact on a playoff contending team? Afterall, lets face it, if they were good, they would be helping that team win instead of being traded away. Wait a few months, wait until a GM gets mad they lost and is prepared to sell the farm for kesler.

This is why I say we wait until the draft to trade Kesler, teams won't be in a playoff race and they will be more willing to part with key roster players. Why should we simply accept the pieces that have no impact on a playoff contending team? Afterall, lets face it, if they were good, they would be helping that team win instead of being traded away. Wait a few months, wait until a GM gets mad they lost and is prepared to sell the farm for kesler.

Because Kesler has more value NOW to a contender, for a playoff run?

Pittsburg is desperate to get some playoff revenge against Phili and Boston. Now is the best time to take their elite prospects.

Won't settle for Suttor and Pouliot.

So if not those two then who? Bennett? Pens don't have many intriguing prospects unfortunately.. I really hope we can get a deal done with Philly tho.

Something like

B.Schenn + 1st 2014 for Kesler and 3rd 2014

Because Kesler has more value NOW to a contender, for a playoff run?

Yeah his value is high, but a playoff team won't offer much in the way of 'useful' pieces. The price at this point should be their top prospects as the draft position won't be very good and their useful players will be kept for the run. During the off season GMs will want to be shuffling their teams around, meaning we have choice, at this point we can only take the pieces they have lying around.

Think of it this way, during draft day, you can target any player, any draft choice or any prospect of your choosing, why do it now when you have such limited trade options to pick from? Not to mention, after UFA day, people who did'nt get the FA's they wanted may pay even higher for him.

Pouliot.

Talent Analysis

Figured I could post the Hockey Prospectus review as well: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/puck/article.php?articleid=1585

3. Derrick Pouliot, Defense

2011-12 Ranking: 6th

Date of birth: 01/16/1994

Height: 6'0''

Weight: 203

Shoots: Left

Statistics: 44 GP, 9 G, 45 P (Portland, WHL)

Acquired: First round, eighth overall in 2012 by Pittsburgh

Year in Review: Pouliot was one of the top offensive defensemen in the WHL, and was a key part of Portland going to the Memorial Cup.

The Good: Pouliot is a highly-skilled offensive player who has a lot of flash and dazzle to his game. He is a very good skater, with an explosive first step and agile movements. He is dangerous with the puck due to his great vision and high-end puck skills. Pouliot controls the play very well from the point or off of the rush, and he contributes a lot with space on the power play.

The Bad: Pouliot's physical and defensive games both still needs work. He has improved his positioning, but poor defensive-end reads can still victimize him. He also is a tad small, and despite putting on more bulk, he can get outmuscled for pucks.

Projection: He could be a second pairing defenseman who is a top-end power play option.

Like I said before, he's still an excellent prospect, it's just the ceiling of Sutter and a late first in a not so deep draft might be less value than I'd want back for Kesler. Maatta is a much sweeter carrot to dangle to have us consider trading Kesler.

Figured I could post the Hockey Prospectus review as well: http://www.hockeypro...?articleid=1585

Like I said before, he's still an excellent prospect, it's just the ceiling of Sutter and a late first in a not so deep draft might be less value than I'd want back for Kesler. Maatta is a much sweeter carrot to dangle to have us consider trading Kesler.

I agree that Maatta should be the target, locker room chemistry with Horvat being an added bonus. However, what if we demand Pittsburgh's 2015 1st instead of any 2014 picks?

So if not those two then who? Bennett? Pens don't have many intriguing prospects unfortunately.. I really hope we can get a deal done with Philly tho.

Something like

B.Schenn + 1st 2014 for Kesler and 3rd 2014

So, we're just giving him away then?

I agree that Maatta should be the target, locker room chemistry with Horvat being an added bonus. However, what if we demand Pittsburgh's 2015 1st instead of any 2014 picks?

Absolutely an option, would be a better draft perhaps even if the position is the same.

Archived