The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] via the Score: Penguins made a trade offer for Kesler...

As expected, the 'updated offer' is horrible.

This is to prepare us for the disappointment of the actual term.

People needs to start comparing returns to the crappy ones that Canadian teams get in scenarios like this, where the star on a great contract playing for a Canadian team just HAS to go to help another American team win a cup.

No matter where he ends up, man, that return is going to suck if it's parallel to all the other returns from the Bettman-era past.

Precisely. Can't believe that people don't see/understand, this is another way the league rigs the deck.

The Pens board wants the Canucks to throw in Higgins or Edler with Kesler for Sutter, Dupres, and two picks, at least that's one of the proposals. They're delusional.

Beyond delusional. Plus they don't even have cap space for Edler.

MG - Pouliot, Bennett and Depres for Kesler and Schroeder

Sutter is a bottom six guy. Never even heard of Dumoulin.

+ 1st round pick would be late in a weak draft (50% of becoming a proven NHLer)

No need for us to throw in Schroeder.

Those three pieces alone aren't enough for Kesler.

Just ignore shero with that insult of an offer.

Trade Kesler to Boston just to stick it to Shero.

But seriously, Gillis should just concentrate on trading with CLB, PHI, CHI, ANA, DET, FLA, TB and dont even response to Shero's offers unless Maatta is included.

Trade him to Philly. Then watch Philly oust Pittsburgh in the playoffs.

Just ignore shero with that insult of an offer.

Trade Kesler to Boston just to stick it to Shero.

But seriously, Gillis should just concentrate on trading with CLB, PHI, CHI, ANA, DET, FLA, TB and dont even response to Shero's offers unless Maatta is included.

If you want to stick it to Shero, you trade him to Philly.

My wife's brothers played with Alfredsson in Frölunda and couldn't understand why he was drafted at the time, he was a mediocre player on the team, my wife's brother was captain and leading scorer of their junior team and was never drafted so, who knows right?

I played on the same team as raymond, same year he was drafted, I lead the league and even put up more points than Raymond, he got drafted, i didn't. Your wife's brother may have even been better or just as good as alfy in the NHL for all we know if he got the opportunity. NHL and all hockey for that matter has a lot of politics involved. Just think Naslund almost left the NHL. Did he alway have that skill and talent? Yes, he just never really got the opportunity due to the coaches he had and we almost never got to see it in the NHL.

I watched another friend of mine make a Junior A squad at the age of 15 and was placed on the first line simply because his dad was best friends with the coach. Other players on the team ended up quitting because of the favouritism. 3 years later my buddy was in WJC playing on the same team as crosby. Did he work hard? sure, did I play with and against other players that have way more hockey skill in every aspect of his game yes. What scouts saw was a 15 year old being counted on as a key player. People could laugh but I could put a team together just with players I've played with and agains that never made it that would give the flames a run for their money in a game. And i'm sure their players I've never even seen before that are even better.

Point is not everyone in the NHL is the best 700 players in the world. Sutter had a lot of help getting where he is. To put his name as a part of a Kesler deal would be a huge down grade for the canucks. Richardson, Santo, easily provide what Sutter would bring this team not to mention, Horvat and Gaunce, Dalpe.

Well if we're using the formula of Young Roster Player, Top Prospect, and a 1st for Kesler, then what else can the pens reasonably offer?

Their only real young forwards are Sutter and Neal, from which it's highly doubtful Neal gets moved. They have young D in Maatta, which is also an unlikely trade. As per prospects, they could move Pouliot, or Harrington from the defence corps and still be deep. Up front they have Beau Bennett who is a very intriguing prospect. The first and rumored 3rd should ideally be from next years draft. Because of this I don't feel there is a deal with Pittsburgh, if the best young forward they have to offer is Sutter.. who's ceiling has been established as a 30 point 3rd line C. Santorelli would have been twice that while healthy.

If the Pens were open to it, they'd have to add in another prospect to balance out the lack of scoring from Sutter. Something like:

Sutter, Bennett, Harrington, 2015 1st rounder, for Kesler and whichever minor league contracts we throw in to stay under contract limit.

Why Harrington? We're all over guys like him already, not that he's bad.

I'm starting to think that the Rangers may be a darkhorse in this situation. It would not surprise me if a trade happens to a team we aren't hearing much from. Sather is known for late season shake-ups too.

If they are able to swing a deal for Marty St Louis, possibly for Callahan+, then another move could be very likely.

Stepan, JT Miller, 2015 1st or Brassard, Kreider, 2014 1st

These would be the most likely ranges. Obviously we'd ask for Stepan, Kreider, 2015 1st but I think the Rags balk at that.

Count me in; Brassard and Kreider +...

Archived