The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade Luongo to the Panthers

The thing about Matthias is that he just had his first real breakout two seasons ago, before that he hadn't played much more than 50 games in a season.

Last year he paced for 35 points. If he was on a better team (I am claiming the Canucks are), then he could repeat those kind of stats, even improve with decent linemates.

We'll have to see what kind of linemates he has after tomorrow, but probably a good chance that Kassian is one of them. The two of them will take up a lot of ice when they're on together.

allot of people including the gang on sportsnet talk as though we lost two allstar goalies for nothing. True, that it didn't all pan out the way we would have liked but Horvat isn't exactly chopped liver. weve gotten a liitle more than I would have thought for lou at this point.

Gillis goes back to targeting players with "character"

I'm pretty stoked about this trade, Luongo was beyond done. Schneider was moved last year due to the off ice issues between he and Kesler, and Luongo couldn't have been moved last year as he had no value.

I like the fact that we're getting younger, and more exciting of a team to watch... finally waking up from the AV Slumber Party.

Whiners gonna be whiners.

First of all - Gillis gave Luongo exactly what he wanted. A pretty classy move in the end, ironically.

Markstrom is an excellent complement to the youth goaltending depth. He's a great talent who has put up very good numbers in Sweden and the AHL - like his peers in Florida, not so great - but is a much better option imo than a number of veterans I would have happily settled for. He's also a very affordable option, and has another year before becoming an RFA.

Matthias is a very solid, big young center who will fit very nicely here imo. There are a few things to keep in mind regarding his production - first, Florida has a whack of young talented bluechip centers - Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Barkov, as well as a very good prototypical two way third line center in Goc. Matthias' spot in that lineup was always somewhat tenuous, as was the quality of linemates he typically played with. Anyone who has watched him, particularly against Vancouver, might have realized he is pretty damn mobile for his significant size, and has a very good two way game. Thrilled to have him and think he would make a very solid two way LW as well.

Fun fact. He was the player the Detroit dealt for Bertuzzi, who was the centerpiece in the Luo deal, and is now 1/2 of the return in the Luongo back to Florida deal.

I think if there's a trade to be made that makes sense, he'll make it. I don't think he's going to make trades willy nilly just so he can say "see CDC, I made bold moves for you".

26 is still pretty young, I don't know if I'd call that "veteran". I'll give you "established" though. Established young C.

Look, Mathias is a good player. 26 is not old, and he's big. The Canucks do want to get younger and bigger.

But he should not be mistaken as a blue chip stud in the making. He's not that level of talent. And as noted already, he'll be UFA at the end of next season. That also makes him not a long term solution. Generally thats desired when trying to build for the future.

If we keep Kesler for now, he's a good upgrade on Dalpe for current needs. Or Schroeder?Instantly our 3rd, perhaps 2knd line center, which ain't bad. If we trade Kesler, he's even better insurance that we do not have to rely so heavily on any young center who comes in return. Or press Horvat, Gaunce, etc. next year. A shrewd fill player of quality, but not really part of the rebuild.

On a side note; I wonder if either of Schroeder or Dalpe are moved at the deadline / summer? Or who wins that last center roster spot for the rest of the year...

Can someone explain why I can't click on anyone's name or see status update? .....am I like semi-banned?! or is it just down.

Back on topic, I Iike the trade a lot. Markstrom is an absolute monster and knows Lack from Sweden. We now have one of the youngest and most INEXPENSIVE goalie tandems in the league.

The most intriguing thing IMO is we now have a 3rd line centre and have NO NEED for Sutter, thus making offers for Kesler much more attractive.

P.S: Glad Lu is now happily at home and our soap-opera is finally over.

I'll take a 2mill duo of Lack/Markstrom (ages: 26, 24)

over a 7mill duo of Luongo/Thomas (Ages: 35,39)

ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!

I can't imagine Matthias will be here next year.

- I have no idea why Markstrom was traded... as I thought he was the future in Florida. (I seem to remember that a year or two ago, he and Lack were rated 1 and 2 in the AHL. Now we have two young goalies with about the same talent, ability and experience going for the same job.)

- Wouldn't we have been better off getting a forward or a draft pick in return?

Archived