but this is all just weak

you note goaltending is mediocre

marky is our key goaltender

he lets in a bad one last night

you wish to quibble about which one it was

stats show he lets in almost the most 1st goals in the league

he did again last night

goaltending and d are a problem on this team.. that is not in dispute

but commenting on marky last night is reactionary?

ok then

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yeah I find it pretty comical coming in to these threads and reading about how Benning needs to fix our D, goal tending etc because it doesn't measure up to the better teams in the league... 

Did these guys miss the memo about us rebuilding or....? :unsure:

Like if we had a top 10 goalie, top 10 D core and top 10 forward core....we'd be a contender AKA: NOT REBUILDING. People realize this, right...? :unsure:

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not that he played amazing (he didn't) but the 5th goal was the only truly 'bad' goal. The others were all deflections or massive defensive breakdowns in front of him where Carolina did their best Harlem Globetrotters impersonation/he had little chance on.

People are being WAY too reactionary and looking for someone to blame.

First goal was terrible and 100% his fault, after that no sympathies for the defensive breakdowns.

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

First goal was terrible and 100% his fault, after that no sympathies for the defensive breakdowns.

Shot was deflected. Pretty sure twice.

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

you do not understand the meaning of the word reactionary?

yet you use it ?

:wub:

That's exactly what people are doing. That and attempting to lay blame for something that is largely team wide, on one guy's shoulders. Canucks fans and their scape goats :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Shot was deflected. Pretty sure twice.

That's exactly what people are doing. That and attempting to lay blame for something that is largely team wide, on one guy's shoulders. Canucks fans and their scape goats :rolleyes:

so we should all just accept our medicine

and shut up ??

and accept that any commentary is just beating a dead horse (but it is not reactionary .. you are mistaken about that)

since our d and tending are awful

yet we can comment positively ?

when we lay credit for something when it is largely on one guy's shoulders (ep40)?

not sure where you are coming from anymore?

you do not like certain narratives? but others are ok?

strange view of what these boards are about

i'm not scapegoating marky

he is not an nhl starter.. have said so for the past 2 years

and yet he keeps getting trotted out there as one

his weak goals are his most glaring flaw

and is a chronic problem.. so commenting cannot be reactionary

p.s. this is the marky thread which is why i comment on him here, not the d or other team issues

Edited by coastal.view

9 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so we should all just accept our medicine

and shut up ??

Nobody said you had to 'shut up'...no.

But trying looking at context and using some critical thinking would likely help a lot of folks blood pressure :lol:

We're a rebuilding team with a mediocre starting goal tender, a dog's breakfast for D presently and a bunch of wildly inconsistent kids and some depth vets at F. Maybe stop the reactionary blame laying of 'so and so sucks!' and 'Benning needs to fix the...!'  given those realities...

Or not and let your BP spike and people like me keep commenting on how your posts are reactionary, panicky, blame laying nonsense in what is obviously a transition/rebuilding year.

Edited by aGENT

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Game 1 - Win against CGY

Game 2 - CGY wins (1st goal at 12 seconds)

Game 3 - CAR wins (1st goal at 43 seconds)

Moral of the story, make that first save Jacob.

Moral of the story, don't play road games in locations that start with 'C'.

• Haha 3

Has it been bad? Yes, but goaltending all over the league has been pretty widely abused. It's a combination of a few factors, loose play in front of the goalies, the new equipment, the league in general is getting faster and faster.

I am not making excuses but I want to see how Markstrom performs when we are able to put the right structure around him. He may never end up being a #1 but at the very least we can compensate for some of his weaknesses and hope that Demko can put it together soon.

I don't want to defend markstrom because I can't defend a goalie who let's the first shot in every other game, and he's only a stepping stone in our rebuild anyway.. 

however...

I'm looking at the scores around the league right now and there's a lot of goalies better than him missing a lot of shots, and scores are getting run up.. could be the equipment changes take some getting used to?

coincidence?

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Glug Datt said:

I don't want to defend markstrom because I can't defend a goalie who let's the first shot in every other game, and he's only a stepping stone in our rebuild anyway.. 

however...

I'm looking at the scores around the league right now and there's a lot of goalies better than him missing a lot of shots, and scores are getting run up.. could be the equipment changes take some getting used to?

coincidence?

I think it's more rust.  I seem to recall these crazy scores at the beginning of last year yet only one player topped 100points.  When players start scoring 50/60 goals and 120+ points then I'll be more incline to believe that scoring is up.

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

In 3 games played hes 4.02 with a .883 save percentage. Has let in 2 harmless first shots on net 2 games in a row. At this point his game is beyond trash and should label him as the gvrd landfill dumpsite.

What exactly were you expecting of him? This team wasn't going to be good to begin with. The defense in front of him is extremely lackluster.

I don't think he's a good goalie but, right now, almost any goalie would look like trash back there. Don't blame him.

The things that some people on this board complain about just baffles me at times. Yeah, let's just magically throw in a good goalie! Problem solved! :wacko:

Edited by The Lock
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

What exactly were you expecting of him? This team wasn't going to be good to begin with. The defense in front of him is extremely lackluster.

I don't think he's a good goalie but, right now, almost any goalie would look like trash back there. Don't blame him.

The things that some people on this board complain about just baffles me at times. Yeah, let's just magically throw in a good goalie! Problem solved! :wacko:

Exactly. 

Again, nobody is declaring him a Vezna candidate. Even with a better team in front of him.

But if we're declaring him a 'bottom 10 starter' with this team, how will he look with the addition of Hughes and Juolevi to our D? How would he look on a good team like Nashville, Winnipeg etc playing in front of him? 

Something tells me he'd look better than 'bottom 10' (though likely still not top 10) in either of those situations. It's a team game and people seem to forget that while looking for the scape goat du jour on a mediocre and rebuilding team, after a loss. 

16 minutes ago, The Lock said:

How can you not blame your starting goalie when he lets in deflating goals in the first 30 seconds of the game?

I think the first goal creates the second goal. Maybe, (its a big maybe) if Edler trusts his goalie he doesn't make that lame save attempt on goal two.

• Upvote 1