The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

12 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

I have to agree that Miller has been lights out this year but in terms of moving forward with Markstrom as a number 1 you have to compare him to  Miller(a proven starter in the NHL) to see if  Marky can handle it/has the skills to do so. Based on what we've seen from Markstrom he is not ready to be a full time #1. Hopefully management will get him into more games down the stretch so we can see if he can elevate his game to the next level and prove he can be a starter. The way he is playing right now I would not be comfortable with him as our starter next year.

Honestly, best case is Miller is required for a cup run and we can start Marky the rest of the year. I think he's ready. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Honestly, best case is Miller is required for a cup run and we can start Marky the rest of the year. I think he's ready. 

Agree 100%, Miller deserves a chance to win elsewhere and we need to see what Marky play to see if he can handle the load next year.

On 1/3/2017 at 11:21 PM, ajhockey said:

I'd like a guy for one more year. Either a guy to split some games with Markstrom, like Chad Johnson, or just re-sign Miller at a bit cheaper for one more season. I'd be happy with $5M for one year.

Personally I hate this idea, unless it's clear to both of them what the full plan is, and that's to have Markstrom play as the starter and Miller the backup.  If we re-sign Miller for another year for $5M, and we have Willy, or someone like him in the way he favours playing the vets, then Markstrom will be in the same position next year.  Not playing enough games to get into a rhythm and still wouldn't be able to proven what we have in him as a starter.  He is 27 and he is overdue to be given a shot.

And all this talk about Miller playing lights out.  Are you kidding me?  Yes Miller has had some good games and made some good saves, but he is hardly lights out.  Look at his stats compared to Markstrom, who some of you don't think is playing very well [let's forget the last game as an anomaly].

Miller                    Markstrom

2016/17     2.65   .916           2.63       .910

2015/16     2.70   .916           2.73       .915

See much difference?  Well Marstrom has let in a few less goals per game and is ranked 31 in the league vs. Miller's 34st ranking [after adjusting 7 spots for those playing less than 800 minutes].  Neither great but I would argue that Miller is certainly not clearly the better goalie, and might suggest that if Markstrom had a more favourable schedule he might prove even better.  At least Miller has the chance to get into a rhythm, and, constantly gets his confidence built up by Willy.  

IMHO Miller has always been overrated and he has never shown he is an elite goalie.  His lifetime average is very similar to his current year at 2.60  9.15, again anything but stellar, and suggest his contributions are very average numbers.  Even in one of his best years ever [3rd best in his career], and his first with us in 2014/15, where we played very well and finished with 101 points and #8th in the league, his numbers were average, 2.53  .911, ranked 32nd in the league [after adjusting 12 spots for those playing less than 800 minutes]. 

Hardly 'lights out', and certainly not good enough to prevent Markstrom from taking over as the starter and allow an aging Miller to move on, or traded at the deadline.

Hard to tell what Vancouver has with markstrom since they play him once every six. Most rationale coaches and mangers would have played markstrom more this season to get a better assessment of what he can do night in and night out but we all know there nothing rationale about how this club is mismanaged.  

Edited by combover

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Injury or trade?  Or could Marky be another victim to the 'mumps'?

Depending on severity, I would think after the Bishop trade and with this, very well might spell out Miller will not be moved.  Not a chance the Canucks use Bachman to star in goal for us.

47 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Depending on severity, I would think after the Bishop trade and with this, very well might spell out Miller will not be moved.  Not a chance the Canucks use Bachman to star in goal for us.

We can still trade Miller. Why not use Bachman? It's not like we're going anywhere this year. Pick up some good draft positions and plan for the future.

9 minutes ago, clutesi said:

We can still trade Miller. Why not use Bachman? It's not like we're going anywhere this year. Pick up some good draft positions and plan for the future.

We gotta keep Miller cause we're still trying for the playoffs man. 

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Markstrom was average last season, I say give him a chance in camp. He definitely didn't play well enough to be 'anointed' the #1 guy.

Markstrom isn't terrible but he isn't great either.  If the Canucks re-sign Miller I can't see him NOT getting more starts.

37 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

So miller must have said no, good. I liked miller but I didn't want to see him back.

I doubt this was benning 1st (going with marks) choice because it makes sense. 

We get to see what markstrom capable of........finally 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, combover said:

So miller must have said no, good. I liked miller but I didn't want to see him back.

I doubt this was benning 1st (going with marks) choice because it makes sense. 

We get to see what markstrom capable of........finally 

Do you get the impression that JB and the Canuck's management (owners too) are being forced into a rebuild, not of their choice?  No big name UFA's are coming here, like Errikson last summer.  Miller won't come back.  JB is likely to get an offer on Tanev he just can't refuse.  Younger players are what the fans want to pay money to see.  I'm sure there must be more too, but the idea that the rebuild is of our management's choice is questionable.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do you get the impression that JB and the Canuck's management (owners too) are being forced into a rebuild, not of their choice?  No big name UFA's are coming here, like Errikson last summer.  Miller won't come back.  JB is likely to get an offer on Tanev he just can't refuse.  Younger players are what the fans want to pay money to see.  I'm sure there must be more too, but the idea that the rebuild is of our management's choice is questionable.

Who could possibly force owners and management to rebuild? God?

4 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Who could possibly force owners and management to rebuild? God?

Butts NOT in seats.  Drop in revenue. An old stale core of players the fans don't want to watch anymore.  Those kinds of things.  Oh, and finishing 28 and 29, while trying to compete for a playoff spot.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Butts NOT in seats.  Drop in revenue. An old stale core of players the fans don't want to watch anymore.  Those kinds of things.  Oh, and finishing 28 and 29, while trying to compete for a playoff spot.  

I don't see how a rebuild would put butts in the seats. Signing players like oshie and Miller while barely making the playoffs would be better for revenue. The only thing a scortched earth rebuild guarantees is a period of  abysmal hockey. There are times it helps the club to a cup eventually but it never guarantees is.